“A taste of Asian Luxury”

Mandarin Oriental, Taipei
Ranked #8 of 568 Hotels in Taipei
Hong Kong, China
“A taste of Asian Luxury”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Mandarin Oriental in Taipei although it is located more in the business district of the city. On entering the hotel you are greeted by smiling staff and a huge sparkling Chandelier, very impressive indeed. As the hotel is newly opened the staff were somewhat too eager to please and at times I found the service a little irritating! Our room was lovely with a very comfortable bed and the interior design gets 8/10 for colours/textures and overall sense of luxury.
The standard of food served in both the French and Italian restaurants was very good, however the pasta in the the italian get my vote for melt in your mouth with delicious flavours.
The Spa was difficult to navigate as it is so dark in the basement, lots of long corridors with poor lighting, however the treatments were good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I am staying at the Mandarin Oriental in Taipei after spending two nights at the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong, which makes the comparison of two hotels of the same brand much easier. The Taipei MO is a brand spanking new, stunning building building in a great location and certainly has a lot of potential. (It is also considerably better than the Sherwood in Taipei)

I am a big fan of the Mandarin Oriental and the service is excellent. However, as some of the other reviews point out this hotel is still work in progress. In no particular order:
1) After arriving in my room, it was not pleasant to find the wash basin filled with water and some long hair in the changing area. (The rest of the room did look very clean, but it did make me wonder for a bit).
2) The internet connection is pretty poor (at least in my room); it was impossible to Skype/Facetime with my kids without interruptions. Not amusing.
3) There was no hot water in the tub, regardless of how long you let the water run. (If you want to get it fixed Mr Jones it’s Room 1220).
4) The pressing of suits is, at best, ok and certainly not comparable to the MO in Hong Kong (or for that matter other HK hotels). (It’s the little details that make all the difference.)
5) Lastly, (and on the subject of little details), the hotel is better off charging customers for the shoe polish service and splurging on actual polish. Instant shoe shine/liquid wax is not the way to good. It just looks cheap.

Would I stay here again? Yes. I am willing to bet that in a few months it will be one of the best hotels in Taipei by a mile. But they have to earn it!

6 Thank Paisa_on_the_go
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 13 August 2014

A wonderful stay with family at your luxury hotel, warm and thoughful service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Reservation: I had some difficulty getting an initial response to a query when I tried to book online. I gave the hotel feedback that the pricing was unclear. As a result I ended up paying 50% more than I was expecting. This was eventually resolved to my satisfaction though I still paid the higher price than I was hoping to pay.

Location: There are two entrances to this new hotel and not everyone (i.e. taxi drivers) know where it is, let alone the fact that only the back entrance (for hotel guests) is all that is open so far. Good downtown location.

Building: Beautiful both inside and out. This hotel really does have the wow factor appearance wise. Despite being modern and contemporary in terms of design, it was still classy with classic appeal.

Check in: I was expected given it was 1am thanks to a delayed flight and the process was smooth and relatively efficient. The lady on reception was kind enough to prepare information based on the attractions I wanted to see stemming from our discussion at check in and great information was left for me to pick up from the concierge desk the next morning.

Taxis: I never had to wait long during my entire stay though it was for leisure so I'm not sure what it's like during the rush hour.

Room: Beautiful and generously sized. If I could have one thing added, it would be sellotape to the stationery box. A downside was the fact that the alarm system went off during my stay, many times while I was in bed at least five times. This needs to be sorted out asap. I did have trouble with not being able to get hot water to run from the basin during my stay yet it was fine in the shower and bath.

Breakfast: Buffet offering with a la carte choice for main course. The quality of the food on offer was excellent. Perhaps it is this that meant that the lack of variety was not a problem. Usually I am put out if the food is the same every day at breakfast (as it was for all three of my mornings here) but on this stay, the lack of variety was not noticeable as the quality of the food was so enjoyable. The staff at breakfast were also great and referred to me by name. You do however need to set aside time for breakfast as the a la carte orders took a while to come.

Spa: This is probably where I was most disappointed as it had the potential to be great. First off I wanted to book my treatment in advance and was sent the spa menu with no caveats. I was therefore surprised to find that when I enquired about the full day package, it was not available yet. No apology, explanation or offer to create a bespoke but similar package for me with what they did have available. I went back to scratch and chose another treatment. The staff at the spa were probably the least friendly and warm of any other department at this hotel. In addition, it's just common sense that if treatments are not available yet advertised (a negative point which shouldn't be the case) it should be pointed out in advance. The pre-treatment relaxation room was rubbish - a tiny room with three loungers rammed in, no snacks and no reading materials or earphones to be seen. The room was full and then more guests came in with nowhere to sit. My therapist was thankfully a better standard than the rest of the spa and the treatment I ended up with was fine. The after treatment relaxation room was at least more spacious than the aforementioned one, but the snacks were not on par with international spas and the lack of amenities like cleanser and so on in the spa was not good. A shame as being so new, this could have been really amazing. I would skip this spa and check out another one. It was expensive and the overall experience not really worth it, especially with the front of desk staff being unwelcoming and unhelpful.

In room dining: Good service though my food was later than estimated to arrive - seems to be a bit of a theme that the kitchen can't keep up with the hotel numbers. I did however receive a courtesy call to update me and apology and then another apology when the food did arrive - the spa staff seem to be missing out on the customer service that everyone else in the hotel is adept at. Stephen was polite and friendly. There was however a very lengthy delay with the collection of my dishes. Not only was this less than ideal, but it would also be an idea to leave guests with a tray so that we can leave our dishes outside the room and not have to wait on staff to collect.

Business centre: Karen at the business centre was an absolute delight. Hospitable, friendly and sweet.

Concierge: Helpful and polite.

Housekeeping: Very pleasant when I passed staff in the hallways. Room was pretty thoroughly cleaned and serviced twice a day.

Overall: Recommended if you can afford it but avoid the spa.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank MsHellfire
Singapore
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have all praises to Mandarin Oriental Taipei. Being in a Customer Service business, I have nothing bad to say but all commendations indeed to each and every staff I have interacted with. It seemed too good to be true but I noticed that it is indeed the culture of the company. Everyone is smiling and taking initiatives to assist more than expected. I can say that the place itself is a paradise. The bed is nice, everything inside the hotel is nice. It is indeed a 6-star hotel in Taipei. I fell in love with the country because of Mandarin Oriental. Bencotto rocks! The chef is incredible, the food is amazing, the service is excellent! They deleted all the hotels in Taipei with the superb experience and special treatment they give each and every customer they have. The service is personalized and you'd really feel special that they know your name wherever you go. Amazing training! Good location! What more can I say? I am really happy and they've provided a very high benchmark in my next hotels to stay. Good job Mandarin Oriental Taipei. Hope that all Mandarin Oriental in the world is as good as the Taipei branch.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
1 Thank Glammitch
LA
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Wow! This brand new hotel built in a traditional classic style is beautiful, modern and staffed by super helpful people. Everything was top notch and the restaurants and spa were fabulous. They organized an excellent half day private tour and driver. Fancy and friendly car service from airport. And all at a good price

2 Thank TravellingVLa
San Francisco
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We usually stay at the Far Eastern which in years past was the nicest hotel in Taipei. But times have changed as a number of very upscale hotels have opened in the past 5 years. I haven't been to all of them, but from my experience, the MO Taipei is as good as it gets in Taipei right now. I believe it is also the most expensive currently. The rooms are HUGE. We booked pretty much a standard room with a king, but the king was massive. The bathroom was also huge and luxurious, with a beautiful shower separated from a soaking tub. The walk-in closet was also huge. The rooms and property in general sport very high ceilings, which give this property a very elegant European feel. Everything is very upscale and classic, vs. the more modern look that many hotels in Taipei are now going for. There are a few downsides. Those used to abundant Taiwan-style buffet breakfasts will find MO's breakfast buffet to be pretty limited. You can either do a continental buffet, which has a relatively small but nice selection of fruits, charcuterie, yogurt, pastries, and juices, or if you want a hot dish, you can select the option of having one hot dish plus the continental; i.e., your only hot option is to add a hot entree to the continental buffet vs. having dim sum, noodles, porridge, etc as usually offered at hotel buffets. We did room service breakfast one morning and that was lovely. We found the service to be excellent, and the property is very quiet, which is nice. Also, although the hotel is absolutely gorgeous, as a result, it does not have the warm feeling of a family property, but is great for business travelers and those looking for a romantic getaway. I'm also not 100% sure about the area in terms of other attractions. The nearest subway station is about 5 minutes away, which isn't terrible for Taipei but is a bit on the far side, and there just isn't a lot of interesting stuff within walking distance to see. But Taipei's attractions are relatively dispersed anyway so outside of the hotels in the 101 area, you'll always have to travel a few minutes to get places. Having stayed at a number of MOs all over the world, I'd definitely say this one lives up to its name.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family