“Great value and nice bathtub!”

Beauty Hotels Taipei - Roumei Boutique
Ranked #188 of 578 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My partner and I decided on this hotel for our short stay in Taipei as it had a Jacuzzi and seemed close to all the landmarks. The bathroom has a jacuzzi (which you can turn on bubbles and neon lights - a little bit too much for us) and there was also a TV there. Toilet has those fancy buttons to clean your ...... and the shower has massage knobs and wierd water spraying things that we played with for the first day. The interiors I would deem very old fashion and looked "old" but was still nice and clean. The location is not very close to the subway so we ended up cabbing it most of the time. It was great value but I would probably try another hotel closer to the city next time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The room was excellent, very clean and quite spacious for the price. We found the staff to be extremely helpful and many of them spoke English quite well. We also really appreciated the breakfast which had a very good variety and better quality than most Hotel breakfasts. The location was also good with easy access to transportation. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chad W
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I had stayed previously in that hotel and found it convenient for my business needs : Pretty nice room, and good location at reasonable price. On the negative side, I had noted that service/attitude had nothing to do with other places in Taipei, breakfast was poor (not only because it has a limited "western" food offer, but the overall quality is not good) and as some other reviewers have pointed out there is a mosquitoes issue, sometimes noisy guests...
This time, I had two business visitors with me and suggested we all stay in the same hotel. We were on a very busy schedule and didn't pay much attention to what was going on in the hotel. One first hitch should have hinted at how stubborn and narrow minded the unfriendly (robot type) receptionists could get : Upon check-in, one of the guys was told that he had booked two rooms and they were adamant about having him pay for both...which was wrong (as per their own booking confirmation) and didn't make sense, so he had to get really upset before they stopped the "comedy". But the worst was still to come...I was due to stay a few days more than my partners, and they were checking out at different times. I was at the reception with the last one to leave when they showed him a bill including an international call for a value of over several hundreds USD, and that was supposed to have lasted for over 1.5 hours ! He admitted having made a short call (5/6 minutes) but nothing longer (He is a well traveled businessman used to stay in hotels all over the world, and I have to say he is also a very honest person), the lady acknowledged that anyhow the call could not have lasted that long because she recalled seeing us leaving the hotel in the morning during the time the call was supposed to have taken place...Nevertheless she insisted that the guest had to leave a credit card authorization for the disputed amount and that the matter would be settled with the telecom provider on Monday (we were on a Saturday afternoon), which we refused knowing that meant they would charge him after he left (Why in heaven the telecom company would accept that the mistake came from them ?)...Then things turned really nasty : she called her boss and said we had to wait in the lobby for him to come over...We said that it was pointless and that the guest had to go to the airport, but they didn't care and treated us like criminals, to the point of instructing the taxi that had been booked not to depart...I got very upset and told them that was literally abduction and mob methods...The "manager" never came and just repeated over the phone that was no way out except for leaving a card pre-authorization...which we did after trying to get another taxi and being chased in the street by one hotel staff threatening taxi drivers not to accept the fare ! At one point I asked them to call the police, and an agent came but he didn't speak English and was useless...Unbelievable ! In more than 20 years of intensive travel I had never witnessed such a level of disrespect and rude manners, which was even more shocking considering the overall politeness ruling Taipei's atmosphere. The worst not being the dispute itself (those things happen) but the way it was handled and how aggressive they were. Don't ever stay there, you may not experience similar troubles, but you would be supporting dishonest rude people.

Room Tip: Choose a hotel run by decent human beings
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank George S
Reviewed 8 October 2013

So I decided to splurge a little on this trip and get the Jr. Exec Suite, and I'm glad I did!

I decided to cool down with a bath (there's a TV in the bathroom), then I saw some magical button on the bathtub control panel. I was hesitant to press it, but decided to go for it! As soon as I did, the overhead lights turned off, the water started bubbling very strongly and red/blue lights started flashing in the bathroom. It was an excellent surprise!

There's also weird knobs in the shower that activate jet sprays, I haven't seen this before but I liked it!

The location is a little far from the station and hard to find. If it's your first time in Taipei, definitely spend a little and take a taxi there. Once you get your bearings of the area, the walk to the station isn't that bad.

Room Tip: Try "Taiwan Beer" it's like the inbetween point for champagne and beer! Free in-room...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Very good location n It is very convenient to navigate to the surrounding areas.The inward designs are very practical.Clean room,helpful staff n offers a variety of breakfast catering for both western n Asian food.Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the south are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ahpinglu
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Well hidden from the main room, this little beauty got all a traveller need. Big room with spa bath, shower with bach massage & complimentry drinks. Very good selection for breakfast for both western & asian food. stuff are frindly and helful. well recommended

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bridgekings
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice this summer. The first stay was not bad. Somebody smoked in the room I was given so I had to wait as they worked on finding another room. The second room also smells like smoke but the third one was much better. The stay was uneventful after that.

The second stay is much worse. Room 807 is right at the end of the corridor and things seem to be alright, but I had to change rooms because the double bed is actually assembled from two smaller mattresses, creating a double-sized composite with unusable center parts. Its windows are placed right above the headboard too, covered with three separate Roman Blinds so light gets in thru the seams into the room (and into anybody’s eyes if they happen to be positioned conventionally on the bed) whenever the sun rises. There’s a revolving television wall between the bed and the coach, which takes away more space.

Since room 807 is a no go, I asked for a room change in the morning. Room 707 actually has the same problem, and upon inquiry (as nobody informed me of this when I got my access cards changed) I learned that the particular room type with a single double mattress is actually not available.

The staff offered me a consolatory $270 USD (that’s $ 8,000 TWD) paid upgrade for one night before their availability opens up. I rejected the offer as it sounds outrageous and asked to check out early the next morning. After a lengthy process, she agreed to waive the cancellation fee (which is equivalent to a night’s stay). I booked another place immediately.

Room 707 is actually much, much noisier than room 807. I can hear people swiping the access cards, the electronic lock beeping, handles turning, doors slamming. The cleaning lady walking about, ushering her vacuum cleaner around. At night, the vacuum cleaner is left on the corridor, right outside of the storage cabinet. (This also happened during my first stay, but things were not so bad that time.) Something just erupted during a shower and I think it’s the vacuum cleaner running upstairs, at 10 in the evening. In the last five minutes, somebody dropped something on the floor, a guy upstairs coughed, and a car honked.

Roumei’s room quality seems to be very inconsistent and I don’t think I could stay here again on business without some ability to pick the room in advance.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing outwards the elevated road and the small street.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business