“OVERRATED! OVERSTATED! DIRTY KITCHEN”

Tokyo International Hotel
Ranked #23 of 570 Hotels in Taipei
London, United Kingdom
“OVERRATED! OVERSTATED! DIRTY KITCHEN”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Was intrigued by TripAdvisor reviews, so I stayed one night before flying off to HK. When I checked in, the receptionist asked me to give 'BEST' feedback in this hotel and felt immediately assured why they've rated well. I don't understand why previous reviewers commented 'best quality, grandest place, stylish rooms, impressive views'. Just like they haven't travelled anywhere else? Room was tidy but very small, dark and smelly. Carpet was pretty dirty, so I covered it up with towels. Air conditioner wasn't working properly either. Major shock was restaurant upstairs. When I grabbed plates, I felt GREESE on the bottom. Same with second and third plates. Breakfast was very poor, so I ended up having 3 Yakurt (Japanese yoghurt). And I felt it's fair to have one more, another one et el. The smoking room was literally next to the tiny restaurant, and I couldn't avoid the smoke every 1-2 min. Hotel staff was kind, but not to a point I was very impressed about. I won't go back to this hotel again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
12 Thank B J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hotel by far is one of the grandest places I have ever been. Well furnished to quality service which are spot on! Clean and stylish rooms, an impressive view. Sure made me feel like a king and undoubtedly made my Tokyo Disneyland experience with the company of good friends an unforgettable one.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Hong Kong
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights there. Room size is reasonable, room and toilet are very clean. One bonus is they provide 2 bottles of water every day free of charge. Staff at reception very polite and helpful. They greet us every time we return to the hotel. Enjoy our stay and will definitely stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Excellent staff and service. Room is very clean and we love the toilet seat. Nice simple breakfast with good variety. It's about 7mins walk to the subway station. A little more than the other hotel we stayed at when we visit Taipei last time. But for their outstanding service and nice room, we definitely will choose this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank m0m0011
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We're just spent a wet couple of days visiting Taipei. The hotel staff brightened up our trip by providing information and services beyond our expectations. It's the small things that count. Each morning we were provided a weather update and use of umbrellas. Each evening we were warming received back to the hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The aircon was a little powerful but I'm sure it was user error. On leaving we were waved off from the kerb side. Not the departure we get from the Hilton! We'd definitely stay again on our next trip the Taipei.

Salzburg
Reviewed 16 April 2014

It was really a pleasure to stay in this Hotel! The amazing stuff (especially Mr. Erick Hsu!) always was friendly and helpful. The room was quiet, spotless with aircon, in room safe, TV, free WIFI, a huge bed, fridge, tea cooking facility, hairdryer. The bathroom had shower and bathtub, a high-tech toilet and high quality bath amenities (shower gel, body lotion, shampoo, conditioner, etc.). Breakfast is arranged for the mostly japanese and chinese costumers but we liked it (only the breakfast-room is a bit cold - but it depends on your "aircon-habits"). On top floor there is a small gym, a clothes washer and -dryer which can be used. The lobby offers free high quality coffee for hotel-guests. Tokyo International is situated in a nice surrounding (Zhongshan) with a lot of shopping options, Restaurants and is located near the MRT-Station "Zhongshan" (10 minutes walk - absolutely try the Sushi take away there!!) and Bus-Stations. Alltogether we felt extremely well and welcome. Once again thanks - you are really amazing!!! Greetings from Austria - we come again!

Room Tip: Take the Deluxe Suite (the bed is huge 210 x 200 !)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Koili
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Tokyo International Hotel is a great business hotel situated in a busy district in Taipei. It's rather small and no-frills, but it's very professional and the best of the best you can get for the amount you pay; the rates were very reasonable. I was extremely appreciative of the Japanese-style toilet and the relatively spacious rooms (you can hardly do cartwheels in them, but they are just big enough to make sure your movements aren't impaired and you don't feel cramped even with an open luggage). I personally found them very cosy and perfect for a good night's sleep after a long day of exploring the city. I had a room without windows, which was just as well, because I imagine it must be very noisy outside with all the heavy traffic.

Location-wise, it's right smack in the middle of a bunch of decent restaurants and convenience stores, and about an 8-minute walk to Zhongshan station, which is near most of the central areas you'd generally visit in the city. There's also an amazing famous unagi-don Japanese restaurant (I've reviewed that separately) about a 5-minute walk away.

Service was impeccable, the staff were always helpful and professional, hotel breakfast was OK, slightly above average for what you usually get in Taipei hotels, but you'd do better finding a good soy bean Taiwanese breakfast outside, given the many food options.

All in all, I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends