“Great Location, Customer Service and Gym”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of W Taipei

W Taipei
Ranked #11 of 565 Hotels in Taipei
hong kong
“Great Location, Customer Service and Gym”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

It's a hip hotel for the young and young at heart. We aren't exactly young nor our hearts are young enough to appreciate the thumbing music and young crowd on the weekend nights when were stayed there. Nevertheless, we will be back because it's conveniently situated, the room though a bit small for us but superbly designed, the gym's state of the art and the massage chair in the rest area a relaxing treat. Customer service was polished. In particular, there was this young man Jason who helped us with our luggage when we checked out to catch a taxi to the airport. We were late, result of last minute shopping, but his quiet and unassuming confidence gave us the peace of mind.

Will return for sure!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank wabihongkong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Family trip to Taipei for long weekend. Apprehensive as travelling with an 11 month old and I don't think of W as a family hotel, but it turned out fine. The kid loved the room, as well as all the action in the lobby and pool area. Room has an open floor plan so no privacy in the shower. Location was great, directly above the new Hanyu department store which has a good food court, and across the street from the Mitsukoshi complex - they really should spell out on their website how good the location is. Biggest issue was the massive construction site across from the front entrance of the hotel. Our room faced it and there was noise and construction including on Sunday and until quite late. Plan ahead and and ask for a room away from the construction and you won't find a flaw with the place.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from construction!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank AGlining
TingChiao, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Hi AGlinling,

Thank you for sharing the experience while staying in W Taipei. We are glad to know that your family especially the children enjoyed the time spent here. We are also very happy to know that you find our hotel with great convenience in location wise. The construction site issue you mentioned is important feedback for us, especially on a Sunday!

W Talent
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Its my first time staying at W hotel. & they reali have great & fast service. Staffs are friendly. I reali have a great stay stay at W hotel. Views from my room (The Marvelous Suite) is reali nice.If you're looking for a modern, hip and happening hotel, the W is it. Thumbs up for W hotel.. I'll definitely be back ...thanks for givin me a enjoyable stay..

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank amber-rachel
TingChiao, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Hi Amber-Rachel,

Thank you for your kind words about W Taipei. It is our pleasure to know that you enjoyed our room and loved our talents performance. Looking forward to see you back in the near future, soon we hope!

W Talent
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Finally, a real modern high-end hotel in Taipei. It's weird how Taipei up til now has no real five star hotels. The Shangri-la is nice but dated.

I stayed at the W with my mother a few weeks ago for a short visit. I am a platinum member so they upgraded me to a suite, and what a suite it is. Probably the biggest and best I have ever seen in a Starwood hotel.

Services parallels that of Four Seasons here. They were attentive and remembers my mother's name and super friendly. And also efficient (many Asian hotel staff are friendly but not competent).

Now I know where to stay when I come to Taipei, nowhere else but W. It's expensive but worth the money.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

I used to be a huge W fan, but then the ones in the U.S. started to bore me. So, when I stayed at the newly opened W Taipei, I was ecstatic that it rekindled my (sad) love affair with the brand.

Everything about this hotel is cool. From it's combination of nature-ish elements with modern touches, to its fantastic restaurant on the top floor. The service is also terrific -- I love hotels in Asia.

Food - you must try Yen on the top floor. It's Cantonese style (that's the best style -- full disclosure, I'm Cantonese), and it's terrific. Not only is the food delicious, but the way they serve the dishes is creative too -- definitely shows they have put serious thought into it.

Room -- I forget the exact floor we were on (mid- or high-20s) and the view of Taipei was terrific. Floor to ceiling windows made me think of a certain high-end hotel in Tokyo, but this held its own as well. The decor is modern, and yes, they have Toto toilets.

Service -- every person I encountered here personified great hospitality. From the check-in folks to the concierge who helped me track down "only in Asia" bicycle bells to the front door staff who were so helpful in providing us with walking directions or giving instructions to our cab drivers.

One major tip -- make your reservation for the Woo Bar early. They seem to get quite busy, as I guess it's pretty popular with the locals, and even if you're a guest, you're not guaranteed admission.

Overall, I hope to have another opportunity to stay here again. Definitely one of my favorite hotels around the world.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank dagongster
Hi DGNYC78,

It is a great honor to be one of your favorite hotels around the world! We are glad that you enjoyed the dishes at our YEN restaurant. Something very interesting about our restaurant is that YEN is actually the first W Hotels Worldwide signature Chinese restaurant among the 43 W Hotels. Our consultant chef, Jeremy Leung spent a lot of time and effort designing the new Cantonese and Taiwanese cuisines you now see on your plate. We are also very glad to know that our service and the guestroom met your expectations. We are already looking forward to your stay next time and we hope we can continue to WOW you!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

I was visiting family in Taipei when we decided to spend one night at the W to be able to enjoy their new facilities especially the pool!)
I was very impressed with all aspects of this new property. We even met the GM who chatted with us and bought us drinks while at the pool!
Great experience overall, hope to be back soon!

• Stayed June 2011
Hi Patrick613,

Thank you for staying with us while visiting your family! We are happy to know that you like our WET (pool), and enjoyed the conversation with our General Manager. Let us know when you are visiting us next time!

JAKARTA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2011

One of the latest additions to the W Portfolio and a long overdue debut of a truely world-class luxury hotel in Taipei, the W Hotel is widely considered as the coolest and hippest place to be in Taipei now, for both overseas visitors and locals alike. I have grown to love the W concept and has become a regular patron of the chain, which combines funky interior design and attractive common areas along with super-comfy rooms. The W Hong Kong was my first W, and I had wanted to try the W Taipei ever since I head it opened earlier this year.

Arrival Experience - Not so Wow

The arrival experience was decidedly not Wow. I booked a limousine car from the hotel and upon arrival, the hotel’s airport attendant was on hand to greet me and escort me to the car. Instead of holding a hotel signboard, the airport attendant was waving a piece of paper with my name printed on it. A small matter but it still reflects a lack of attention to detail. Then, it went further downhill from there. The car as promised, was a BMW 7 series but maybe because the car hasn’t been maintained for a while or that the way the chauffeur was driving, braking often, the ride was uncomfortable. To make it worse, I got the full brunt of the scorching afternoon sun because the car windows wasn’t suitably tinted with anti-sun coating. The in-car wifi also didn’t work. Upon arrival at the hotel, there was no hotel staff on hand to perform the by now routine in-room check-in for all limousine guest. The excuse given by the front desk staff was that “we are busy so no one is available”. I was given the room key and shown to the lift and that’s about it. Wow… how very lame, and very un-W. For a moment, I thought I might have wrongly check-in to a Sheraton…

The Marvelous Suite

I initially booked their standard room, but was concerned to read reviews that their standard room wasn’t very spacious. Considering the small price difference, I upgraded my booking to a Marvelous Suite and upon entry, I was pleased with what I saw. It’s a spacious 70+m2 corner suite with separate living and bedroom room complete with en-suite bathroom. The room is gorgeously decorated in cutting edge contemporary furniture and design. The bed is soft and comfortable, with goose-down pillows and luxurious linens, basically the same bed as the W Hong Kong. Modern convenience included in-desk media hub connections and power plugs for all my gadgets. HDMI, VGA, USB, all there. Two large size flat panel LCD TV, one in the living room and one in the bedroom, Bose speakers and iPod dock connections. The suite is a corner suite so there’s floor to ceiling windows with nice view of Taipei city from the living room to the bedroom to the bathroom. There’s also mood lighting and a single master switch to turn off all the lights in the suite at once, a useful feature.

The huge bathroom comes with complimentary full size Bliss bath products, including shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, lotion and even a face scrubber. The bathroom is ordained with high quality white marble and granite. There’s even a view of Taipei city from the bathtub, and if you so fancy, a LCD TV in the bathroom as well. Water pressure is excellent as well. Overall, this is a fantastic bathroom. There’s no walk-in closet, but there’s two large in-wall shelves for all your storage needs. So in short…

What’s Wow
- Gorgeous interior design
- Custom furniture and fittings, many of which I think are custom-designed for the W Taipei
- Beautiful bathroom

What’s not Wow ( and I have to nick-pick to find )
- No coffee machine, you boil your own water
- Sinks are absurdly low, splashing water everywhere when use. Not practical
- Why is the DVD player stash away in the closet and below the TV?

In summary, short of some nitpicks, the suite is indeed marvelous, with great Wow factor, luxuriously and stylishly appointed, with nearly all the amenities one can think of.

Common Areas and Location

The W Taipei, just like the W Hong Kong, is decorated in the unique “W” taste, funky, hip, a bit over-the-top, but still stylish. There’s a vibrancy and dynamism in this place that is unique alluring. Instead of the usual piano and classical music, original W music artists created special tracks for the hotel which are piped throughout the hotel. It’s even more fanciful at night, and the whole place comes to life, as the W is the #1 hotspot in Taipei nowadays, full of young people looking to have fun. One can almost feel young again in this environment. Thankfully, there were no noise to be heard once I retire to the sanctuary of my suite, which was thankfully, whisper quiet.

The W has one bar and two restaurants, a café and a Chinese restaurant. The Kitchen, which is the W Taipei’s café for casual dinning, serve one of the best buffet breakfast spread I have ever seen in my travels. Freshly baked pastries, cooked to order eggs, large selection of western and asian breakfast goodies, all freshly prepared and tasty. A great way to start the day!

The W Taipei is located in the newly developed Hsin Yi district, next to a large shopping mall. The subway are just steps away and within walking distance is the iconic Taipei 101 tower, once the world’s tallest building ( now overtaken by Burj Dubai ). This is technically the best and most upscale location in Taipei City at the moment.

As explained above, the arrival experience wasn’t just only un-Wow, it’s positively quite bad. I decided to drop a short email to the W Taipei during my stay and was graciously compensated with a free return limousine ride. That shows swift service recovery.

The other aspects of the service were a hit-and-miss. The operators at Whatever / Whenever speaks excellent English and I have no problem getting my request promptly attended to. The reception staff however, could do with a bit more training. Upon check-out, I deliberately tried to test them out by asking if I need to keep some spare local currency to pay airport tax ( Actually I know Taipei airport doesn’t need to pay airport tax ). The reception staff answered yes, but later become not sure, and ask another of her colleague, who confirm that I “must pay” airport tax, before both were rectified by a more senior staff that there is indeed no airport tax.

Overall, other than the arrival experience, there wasn’t anything major to complain about during my two day stay. Most of the time, they are responsive and quick and this is appreciated. Service at the Kitchen where I had breakfast were very attentive.

Conclusion

The new W is significant as it marks the arrival of the first truly World Class Luxury international hotel in Taipei. Previously, visitors to Taipei have to make do with 2nd tier chains such as Hyatts, Regents and Shangri-la, all of which are ageing and getting long in the tooth. None of these older hotels can be compared with the swanky new W, at least hardware wise. They are all simply collectively outclass, there’s just no comparison. This is the hotel I will positively return to stay again during my next trip to Taipei.

Having written so much glowing words, I was still deliberating on what final score to give this hotel. Did the hotel provide sufficient “Wow” experience? Certainly. Did I enjoy my stay? Most definitely. However, while the hotel has a lot of Wow, the penalty on the arrival experience has to be factored in to the score. Sure the hotel duely compensated me for my inconvenience upon my complaint, but this shouldn’t have happened in the first place. In my books, only a perfect stay can merit a 5 out of 5 rating. As it is not, I will rate this a high 4 out of 5. Maybe more accurately, a 4.5 out of 5. Even though it did not score a perfect 5 out of 5, this is still currently the best and most luxurious hotel in Taipei, bar none. Highly highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank BENLEE123
Hi BENLEE123,

First of all, we would like to thank you for writing this detailed review of W Taipei. We are glad that you liked our design of the Marvelous Suite, it is one of our most popular room categories in the property. It is also a pleasure to know that our buffet restaurant – the kitchen table suitably suits your taste. The design concept of the restaurant is to deliver an atmosphere of the guests’ own kitchen, therefore we have the jasmine yellow as the color, open kitchen, the pass around service and etc. The arrival experience you encountered is something we will certainly improve, we thank you again for providing the information for us. Hopefully your next visit will worth the rank of 5 out of 5! We look forward to your next stay!