“Great Hotel, Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of W Taipei

Ranked #11 of 565 Hotels in Taipei
USA
“Great Hotel, Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Background: Stayed at W Taipei for 6 days 5 nights starting on 2/29/12. Trip was booked one week before arrival. Given the last minute booking, available rooms paid by points was a King Bed in Fabulous Room which cost me 44K points instead of the typical 40K points. Given that I was traveling with my father, I needed the two oversized Twin beds which was unavailable. I emailed W Taipei and called SPG to secure the two bed availability before arrival. W Taipei was extremely courteous and emailed me as soon as my request was able to be fulfilled (due to booking cancellations).

Service: Arrived at hotel around 11:30AM. Since check-in time was 3PM, I planned to just leave my luggage there. Upon stepping foot into the 1st floor (this is NOT the lobby), an attentive W bellhop swung by and asked if I needed assistance. Bellhop was fluent in English and understood my request to leave my luggage. In addition, when I inquire about the weather for the day, he was able to answer them. Returned for check-in at 2PM, went direct to the 10th floor which is where the lobby is located. Unfortunately, I did not see a SPG Gold check-in counter so I went to the regular counter. (Note: I did see the SPG Gold/Platinum counter afterwards, it's typically on the left hand counter right after you exit the elevator. The counter is not always opened though as I do see it staffed only partially during the day) Check-in was fast and the staff was courteous. Near the end of the process, I was offered the choice of English or Chinese newspaper. Noting my slight hesitation (I read the English but my dad would prefer Chinese newspaper), the staff immediately offered to have both delivered. Pretty impressed that she noticed my hesitation and saved me from having to choose. I did have to call down to the Whatever Whenever service line a few times during my stay but all my requests were responded to promptly.

Sleep Quality: Excellent bed! Excellent pillows! Even though this was a twin sized bed, it did NOT feel like a twin sized bed. I almost felt that it was pretty similar to a full size bed. Extremely comfortable to sleep in with lots of space. Also, apparently W Taipei offered pillow selections but I was unaware of that service given that I didn't read all the literature surrounding the hotel. BUT, given that each of the twin bed had 1 hard and 1 soft pillow, it actually worked out well enough for me.

Rooms: I was given a Fabulous Room on the 30th floor (highest floor is the 31st but that houses the Yen Restaurant) facing Zhongxiao East Road. To note the bad things first, I had booked a Fabulous room for the room type and paid the extra points for them versus the typical wonderful room. Part of the reason was because of the Day Bed that's featured on the W Taipei website's Virtual Tour of the room. I was disappointed to note that the Fabulous Room I was given did NOT have a Day Bed. I think the day bed is only available with the King bedrooms versus the Twin bedrooms. W Taipei should consider noting this in their room description as its a little misleading given what is displayed on the virtual tour. The second con, was with regards to the bathroom. Guests have an option to close the bathroom so that its not "open" for view with other guests in the room. But unfortunately, the wood panel closure only closes the bathroom partially (mainly obscures view to the bathtub). But there is a side panel where its housed by wooden bars where half of the shower stall can be seen easily. It can't be closed off and is always visible. I had to use bath towels to try and cover up the panel partially. Aside from these minor issues, the room itself is pretty awesome. The closet had plenty of hangers for coats, sweaters and pants and housed most of the stuff you would typically find. It also housed an in-room safe. While the safe worked well, I did miss having the Sheraton Taipei safes which allowed the use of credit card swipes to open the safe. Although, one thing missing in the closet seems to be umbrellas. I guess the hotel probably prefer guests requesting them as needed. Aside from the closet, the room was extremely spacious and this was definitely noted by multiple guests that I invited over. But, I do think that there should had been at least one additional chair in the room especially given that it's a two bed room. It's odd to have guests sitting on the bed as we chat and catch-up. The work desk was long and spacious. It made it easy to spread out things that I have on the desk.

Location: The location of this hotel is awesome. If you are looking to shop or easily get around this definitely works well. I find travel to be more convenient via MRT instead of taxis for this location given that the MRT entrance is around the corner. In addition, the MRT is the Blue Line which has convenient connections to many of the other available lines. Near the entrance of the MRT, there is also a shuttle you can catch to the 101 building. Or you can simply choose to take a 15 minute walk to get there. Along the way, there are plenty of department stores that you can wander into and shop at.

Cleanliness: W Taipei is extremely new and pretty hip hop. And as such, the public area of the hotel is kept extremely clean. Housing cleaning does a wonderful job with the room. I especially liked the fact that they are pretty accommodating with guest request on when to clean the room. Items are also replenished as soon as depleted (by next house cleaning service). Most Asian hotels will just provide two pairs of slippers in the room for the duration of the stay. But in my stay, we actually depleted about 4 pairs of slippers due to some spills on the slippers. W Taipei's house cleaning staff replaces the slippers after they notice that its missing from the closet.

Wrapup: W Taipei is extremely hip and seems to be going for a "young" image. During my stay there, I noticed only 1-2 Staff member that were visibly of an older age. Some people might feel that this means the hotel is not suitable to handle older (more demanding) guests, given the lesser experience of the staff. But this was really not the case. My dad (over 65+) felt extremely welcomed and find that the staff might be young but they were all extremely attentive to us. He noted that multiple times when he walked toward the elevator, if there was a W staff nearby, the person would greet and help press the elevator button for him. So overall we enjoyed our stay at W Taipei and thank the staff for making it wonderful for us.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jing C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

W stands for Wonderful. The bed was very comfortable (pillow menu available), but the standard worked for me. The staff spoke English, even at 3AM when I checked in. The toilet is electronic, senses when you approach, and automatically heats the seat. The shower had hot water, and the volume of water was amazing. There is option for either the rain shower or standard handheld. There is no need to pay extra for view of Taipei 101, since at night you'll be seeing ads for Camry hybrid.
The hotel claims to be minutes from Taipei 101, it's about 10 minutes away by walk. However, it's right next to the MRT entrance, so great location for tourists; of course taxis are waiting. Restaurant Yen atop the hotel has no vegetarian options, and the Kitchen Table only has waffles and mediocre pizza.
There are a few minor quibbles with the hotel, but none serious enough to dock a star. The internet is limited to 2 Mbps, on both wired and wireless interfaces. There is no counter space by the sink, and there are no drawers in the room at all.

1 Thank johndoe13
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I am so glad that I booked this hotel and had a very happy holiday there. The room was new and stylish. The overall seeting was young, creative, yet very considering to all kind of clients. Even my room is not facing the beautiful 101 building, I still enjoyed a very good city view of the city and had a great time there. Last but not least, the location of this hotel is just wonderful. Overall, a very 'WOW' experience and if you like somthing hip and young, you could not miss this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Happy-Deep-Valley
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

A great hotel, that combines everything that you need in a hotel. Stylishly designed with a great bar and pool. Close to centre of town and I do not usually do breakfast but this is exceptional. Ever bit 5 Stars and I am going back next week. Give it a go.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I spent 2 nights there for a meeting held in the hotel. And i have to say, it was AWESOME.
The hotel was built from scratch, so you can see W signature everywhere.
Comparing to my other favorite Starwood hotel, Sheraton D Cube, i would say that D Cube is more towards the elegant side while W Taipei is totally chic.
The Yen bar on the 31st floor is gorgeous, while the Woo bar and the Wet bar on the 10F are casual and delightful. Love the Kitchen Table, but the reservation is hard to get. Make sure you have plenty of time to spare if you plan to have a mean in Yen, the restaurant.
The meeting facility itself does not offer much surprise. But the service was great, as expected.
All and all, love it, love it, LOVE IT!

Room Tip: Rooms facing 101 have similar layout to the ones that don't but are more expensive (obviously...
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Made a short trip to Taipei with hubby so decided to book a really nice hotel we would not choose if travelling with our kids. W seemed like an obvious choice considering it is one of the newest hip hotels and came highly recommended by friends. And what a great choice it was! Unbeatable location,nearest subway station was a few minutes' walk away, Eslite, Hankyu and Mitsukoshi were all around the corner. Overall front desk and bell staff were very polite and helpful. We asked for directions and recommendations from the bell staff and they were all willing to help. The room (we had the Fabulous King) was cosy and bathroom came with Bliss toiletries, a TOTO japanese style toilet and a nice large rain shower. The bed and pillows were really comfy!
The only downside was there was no free wifi in the room. Another negative comment would be a very moody spa receptionist (a young Western man), we just went in to take a look at the spa menu and he was very curt with description of treatments. oh well, maybe it was late and it was time to get off work!
Otherwise, it was great and I would definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank psinhk
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Hi Psinhk,

It is a great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Fabulous room is one of our most popular room categories. This room type is designed with the concept of urban escape, so we used green as the base tone color, islander bathtub and wooden partition to create the vacation atmosphere. The bidet and our W Signature bed you mentioned is also something we wish to make our guests feel the 100% relaxation. We believe, the idea is well delivered after seeing your review.

As for the staff in our spa, we have raised your comment to our spa department. The education and passion will be improved, next time when you try our spa we are sure you will feel all the energy!

Warm Regards,
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

There hasn't been a new hotel opened in Taipei for a while so W was worth a try. The whole 101 area has come up a lot and there is quite a lot to do and see down there. You can go right across the street and into a nice little neighborhood for local breakfast, a few nice coffee shops, convenience stores, etc. You can even walk (10 mins) over to Chunghsiao and Lane 216 and all, which is great. A for area.

The pool is lovely and apart from the Shang, I can't think of another hotel in Taipei with a pool. For summer stays I bet it's nice.

Like all W Hotels, the room was very design driven and a little curious. But nice. The toilet has one of those TOTO command and control seats which was probably way overdone, but chicks seem to love. Shower had great pressure and heat.

The internet is NOT free in the rooms (I guess hip people don't need connectivity) and in the common areas, where it was free, you had to log back in every 15 minutes. That wasn't annoying or anything.

The staff were generally arrogant (they must know they work at a "cool" place) and not only unhelpful, but curiously I found them not very bright, either. Basic questions seemed too complicated for them or possibly not worth their time. The bellmen were chatty and friendly, and pretty switched on, but they made a mess of the bags on arrival and didn't come get them at all when we checked out.

The food in the cafe was bland and didn't match the menu description, and the music at breakfast was just way too loud. (Hip people go clubbing till 3 am and we don't need house music at volume when we are eating breakfast.) Breakfast also packs up at 10, be warned.

The only question I always ask of these type hotels, is, "if you are trying super hard to be cool, are you really cool?" Like, how about the Peninsula, or the Mandarin, or The Waldorf Astoria? Are they cool? They don't try to be cool, but only to be great hotels. Does that make them cool too? Or, do you have to be really good at what you do to be cool, even if you are trying had to be cool but crap at your basic service? Hmmm.

I would go back. But I am not sure I am as cool as I need to be.

4 Thank HKguy
wtaipeiofficial, Manager at W Taipei, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Hi HKguy,

Thank you for this detail review and letting us have the opportunity to look at the problems you have pointed out from a different perspective.

Yes, all the talents working here are very proud of being part of W Taipei. However, it is unacceptable if they give the guests an arrogant attitude. We have raised this issue to our Rooms department. If you would like to share with us with further feedbacks and suggestions, please send to w.taipei@whotels.com .

On the other hand, it is great to know that the location of our property fits your need, and you are truly an adventurer! We are very excited to know that you are one of the guests that discovered how W Taipei is not just close to the famous Taipei 101 or night market but you are also aware that the alley on the opposite side of our hotel is full of local delicacies!

Our pool, we called WET here, is one of the best places to enjoy your warm afternoon. When you’ve got great view, great drink and great weather, what’s more to ask during vacation?

Again, we are glad to see your review here. Thank you for giving us this chance to improve on our service. We do hope to see you again in the property to experience a new level of hospitality.

Warm Regards,