“Lodging with great value and location”
Review of Sharehouse 132

Sharehouse 132
Ranked #32 of 278 Speciality Lodging in Taipei
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I stayed here for 6 days with 3 other friends for a holiday in Taipei. We all agreed that the accommodation, cleanliness and service were excellent. Our only nitpick was that our 4-person room was slightly small but considering the price, it was quite reasonable.

The hostel also happens to be a in a great central location close to public transport to travel to everywhere in Taipei (just ask the very helpful staff for directions). There are also many interesting shops and great food in the vicinity of the hostel that are helpfully highlighted on a map in the common area (again, just ask the staff).

Definitely recommended for anyone looking for a comfortable and enjoyable stay in Taipei on a budget.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed here on two different occasions. The first time was great! The room was well appointed especially for a hostel with a good shower and clean bathroom. Internet worked well and we could charge all our electronics.

Our second room was not so good, although equally well appointed. However, there were ants everywhere (walls, bed, on anything you left on the floor). Thinking this might be because of that room's proximity to the outdoor patio but not sure. If you can request a room, maybe don't get 503!

Other than that, this hostel is great. The staff are very kind, the location is central, right on the Zhongshan MRT station, and the common room is very comfortable. The breakfast is also awesome!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erin M
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I must say that this is a very nicely decorated and cosy hostel. The staff are very friendly and the place is very well maintained and clean. The only downside about this place is the noise. I was put in a room that is near to the communal toilet and shower area and for the whole night, you can hear people showering and going in and out of the toilets. So if you are a light sleeper like me, make sure you bring along your ear plugs. Overall, it was still a nice experience even though I did not get much sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This was my first experience backpacking in Taiwan and I am glad it started at Star Hostel. Pleasant experience. The staff immensely helpful and friendly, the whole place cheerful, bright and very very clean. I felt welcomed and comfortable moving around the place. Love the simple healthy breakfast - especially the fruits, they make sure it is topped up during breakfast times.

Room Tip: I liked the lower bunk bed near the window in Room 3 (3D) because the window ledge gave me more spac...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stayed at this hostel for 2 nights, a very useful advice I can give is for couples who make a booking in this hostel you must to specify by email if you get a double beds room you want the queen bed otherwise they could you you a double deck bed.
I booked a double room for me and my girlfriend and when I arrived at the hostel the surprise was to find a double deck bed!
I tried to make them change it but unfortunately there was nothing to do.
The location of this hotel is quite central and 300 meters from the metro station.
It was very difficult to find the address because the names of the streets are written in Chinese and numbers at the shops or dwellings are often missing.
The hostel is very big is divided into two parts with 2 entrances one side to the other and both have 3 floors each.
The interior is nice and well decorated really seems to be accommodated in a house, the parquet floor and it is strictly forbidden to walk wearing the shoes, it is obligatory remove them as soon as you enter.
The staff is friendly and very helpfully and they are ready to help for any inconvenience.
My room was not so nice I mean an empty room just the bed and the window seemed a bit 'bare, and as I said I had to sleep 2 nights with my partner in a double deck bed, in addition to the room was invaded by ants, I tried to complain but the problem has not been solved, however the room was clean.
Once check-out they allowed me to keep the room for 1-2 hours extra to give me the last chance to get for a morning stroll around the city.
An important note is that I have to say that the hostel does not accept any credit card or debit card but only CASH $ $ €.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Pros :-
1) Forget about taking the MRT from Taipei Main Station to Zhongshan MRT station. Very comfortable and easy 10-15mins walk from Taipei Main Station to Zhongshan MRT station via the air-conditioned Zhongshan Underground Mall. Follow the signboards carefully and you won't get lost. Only staircase to worry about is the one at Exit 3 of Zhongshan MRT station that will lead you to the hostel. The only elevator/lift available at this station is the one at Exit 2 which is on the wrong side of the road leading to the hostel. From Exit 3, walk towards the first intersection and turn right. Go all the way down until you come to a shop called Wa Obi. Look out for a wooden door just before the shop with the number 132 written above it and press the buzzer to gain entry to the hostel.
2) We checked in and out throughout our five-day stay at this hostel. We had no problem leaving behind our luggage and purchases every time.
3) Complimentary breakfast provided - UCC instant coffee, oolong teabags, 4 types of fruits, 2 types of bread and 4 types of spreads.
4) Staff is genuinely helpful, warm and friendly. Nicest people we had met throughout our trip to Taiwan.
5) There's a bus stop right in front of the hostel though we didn't make use of it as we preferred to use the MRT.
6) Very clean and safe.
Cons :-
1) Hostel is situated in a five-storey building without access to a lift. The reception area cum common area is one floor up. Staircase can be a bit narrow and steep especially when you're carrying big pieces of luggage. The staff is very helpful with the luggage. Ask for help if you need it.
2) During our stay, the hostel was fully booked with many young travellers. Some did not adhere to the 'keep your voice low after 10.30pm' golden rule. This can be a problem to light sleepers as noise travels easily to the dorms on the 3rd floor. It would be better to stay at the ensuite rooms on the 4th and 5th floor.
3) There are only two common toilets and showers with some pretty tight space. The only toiletries available are some handwash lotion and toilet paper.
4) Kitchen space is a bit tight and this can be a problem during breakfast.
5) Pay in cash. Currently no credit card payment available just yet.
Room tips :-
1) Dorms cost NT$500 per bed per night while private ensuite rooms for two cost NT$700 per person per night on a weekday. Forget about the dorms as getting a good night's sleep can be a problem if you have inconsiderate dorm mates. Pay a little bit more for the private ensuite rooms and stay in comfort in a boutique hotel like bedroom with flat screen tv and a spacious ensuite bathroom with bath towels and full toiletries

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lhm17
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Star hostel is highly recommendable for its quality service, excellent facilities which are clean and neat. It's very new and tidy. Security is very good as there is no sign outside the hostel which identifies it, which means if you did not book and search about this hostel online, you will never know it exists. There is a kitchen where food in the refrigerator is available for free. Though it is small, but it is very warm and cosy. There is hot shower but needs at least 30 seconds to get warm. There is adapter provided. Toilet is very clean, and neat. People are very warm and friendly. Uninterrupted Wi-Fi internet is available all day round. The room that we stayed has TV which aired high quality Taiwanese program, and kept us entertained during the night.

We were expected to be staying in the main Star Hostel, but unfortunately, the water pipes burst and we were then transferred to their branch hostel, which is catered for long-term travellers who will stay for at least one month. The branch hostel is fortunately nearer to Taipei Main Station and has lift to transport our luggage. It is situated at 10th floor and at the ground floor, there is a security guard, which feels even more secure.

For the time being, the branch hostel feels quite empty as there are less than 5 people staying at the time of my travel. This is the branch hostel website: apt10f.com

The only thing we were unhappy with is the low-lying bed which is uncomfortable as we are not used to it.

Room Tip: We chose private double bed, which has our own bath room and toilet. The toilet and bath room are ve...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family