“Baby friendly with friendly people and great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Travel in Taipei Follow me - CLOSED

Travel in Taipei Follow me
Type: City Tours, Tours
Singapore, Singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Baby friendly with friendly people and great food”
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

My second visit to taipei but this time with a 1 year old toddler. I was glad taipei was so baby friendly. Most restaurants we visited (we didn't visit that many restaurants) had high chairs. We had a driver to drive us to faraway places on a few days as we were also travelling with old folks. On days that we had no driver, travelling by train was a breeze. I managed to find baby rooms at all train stations when I needed one. This was extremely important as I was still breastfeeding my 1 year old which would be otherwise difficult without a nursing room.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank C0C03

Sydney, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Free & Easy Shopping Taipei Tour - This one's for the girls!”
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Day 01 (Fri) – Arrival & Wu Fen Pu
We arrived and were greeted at the airport (arrival hall) for transfer to the hotel which was pre-arranged with QStay (our perfect lil hotel at Taipei). It was already late afternoon after checking in and we decided that our first stop for the day would be the famous WFP (Wu Fen Pu) wholesale market.
Ximen MRT was less than 5 mins walk from the hotel and we bought a smart card (amount refundable upon returning of the card) from the MRT station that is good for the MRT and the public buses as well.
We alighted at the Houshanpi station and was a 5 min walk to WFP. There were signs at the station and road signs which directed us to our destination. Just needs to cross a huge and busy main road. We had dinner and shopped the whole night till fatigue had the best of us and were ready to call it a day.

Day 02 (Sat) – Jiu Fen & Shilin Night Market
In the morning, we took the MRT to Zhongxiao Fuxing station. Followed the sign to Exit 1(Andung St) and the bus stop to Jiu Fen was just 30m walk ahead (Look out for stop for Bus 1062). We used the smart card in the bus and the journey took us less than 2 hours to Jiu Fen. No worries, the driver will inform the passengers once he reaches Jiu Fen (Stop was near a 7-11).
We ate local delicacies (Fishball soup, taro and pearl desserts…etc), shop for pineapple tarts and local handicrafts and ended our day at an expensive but tasteful tea house with magnificent ambience and amazing views of the hills. That was life, sipping tea amidst the wonders of nature…
We were ready to head back to the city and the queue was rather long and the opposite of the road. The traffic warden would inform once the bus to the city was arriving. The drop off point was back to Andung Street, Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT station in which we took the MRT to Jiantan station for Shilin Night Market.
We ate street food at the night market and resorted to more shopping for the rest of the night.

Day 03 (Sun) – Din Tai Fung, Sogo & Shida Night Market
We took the MRT to Daan Station and was advised at the Info Counter to catch the public bus to where the nearest Din Tai Fung was. Just ask the locals around for the right bus stop, a lil tricky but well worth the effort for great XiaoLongBao and fantastic service! Bearing in mind that there are many branches in Taipei but this was recommended by some friends, so we decided to go with this branch anyway.
We then went to do some shopping at Sogo, ZhongXiao Fuxing Station in which turned out had 2 Sogos (the upmarket and the middle class level). Went to both. Bought nothing, more of window shopping.
Next stop was the Shida Night Market which we took the MRT to Taipower Building, Exit 3 then right turn, just by following the crowd and the night markets was at each lane. One won’t miss it! My advice is to make this the first stop for night markets as the patrons are normally student and prices are slightly lower with more choices as well compared to the rest.

Day 04 (Mon) - Ximending
We requested for a late check out that day as our Air Asia flight back to KL was not till 11pm. We slept in and checked out around 1pm with luggage at the concierge. We headed to the shopping haven nearby –Ximending for lunch at a local restaurant. Tried the ever famous white bitter gourd juice with a tad honey, that was so refreshing that we soon had another helping later at the day! Did more shopping and headed back to QStay to collect our luggage and waited for our transfer to the airport. Fantastic shopping experience and we vouch to stay at the same hotel same time next year!

Visited September 2011
24 Thank Melissa S
manila
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Great Volunteer Guides, For Free!”
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I had a wonderful opportunity to partake in the Travel in Taiwan, Follow Me program , as part of Taipei's public service to foreigners during the duration of the Flora Expo. I was alone when I travelled to Taiwan this April, at the end of the Flora Expo, but I had 2 amazing volunteer guides with me who took me to Danshui (Joyful Life Tour) and the National Taiwan University (Education Tour).

Joining the program was easy. I just applied as a member of the program, reserved for two tours (maximum of 2 tours per person), chose my tour guide, and afterwards, I promptly received an email. When the program staff found out that I am travelling alone and that I'm girl, they switched my guide from male to female, and added another female guide, probably thinking about my unvoiced concern travelling with an unknown guy. As it turned out, I was the only one availing of the Joyful Life program in the morning of my chosen day. Well, it would have been a little awkward to roam Taipei alone with a male guide because I'm single and that would seem like a date. Lol. And, yes, the program was flexible and it could suit your preferences and schedule. You could just coordinate it with the staff.

As for the guides, they showed up on time, and they're very professional. They would not even let me pay for their food, but when I finally managed to do just that, they bought me food as well. On the other hand, during the education tour, they took me to a night market near NTU and had a mini-culinary tour. We ate local Taiwanese snacks at food stalls, including stinky tofu and bubble tea, among others, and even ate the famed waffle and ice cream sold at the NTU compound.

Over-all, not only did I have a great time, I also got two new friends.

The program has already ended as far as I know, but I wish the City Government of Taipei could revive this program.

Visited April 2011