“Well maintain but this time did not live up to my expectation”

Ranked #2 of 582 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is the second time i visit Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch. Although is a little off the way, but what make us return is their top notch service. Their service standard is comparable to any 5 stars hotel that i ever visited.
But for this trip, I am a little disappointed. The warmth from the staff had became milder as compare to my previous visit that i experience 1 year ago. That day my fiancee and I got to check in the hotel in the middle of the night due to the reason we came from Tai Zhong after choosing our wedding photos.
It took us 45 mins for the train ride and the taxi took us 20 mins, by the time we reach the hotel, both of us are very tired with all the travelling, since the previous experience is fantastic, I am actually expecting the staff will walk out of their counter to help us with our luggage, because Dandy had a very steep staircase and slope, but to my dismay they didn't. When we approach the counter, though their checking in procedure is very fast, but the lady staff is pretty monotonous, except for the trainee, at least he put on a smile. I really understand that graveyard shift is very tired, but I think every staff needs to uphold the hotel service standard, as I don't think it is easy for a hotel to be number 1 choice in tripadvisor, and it is also because of the previous fantastic experience, that is why we choose to come back.
Other than this everything is pretty normal, their staff in the day time is more lively at least they acknowledge us when we walk pass. Ultimately Dandy Tianmu Branch still a very nice place to stay, we still like the idea of having a violinist to play songs while we are having our breakfast, it brighten up our day.

Room Tip: Nothing in particular, first time i was given a room at the 8th floor this time is 7th floor. Seems...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ShaynNga
Tina C, Manager at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for once again selecting Dandy Hotel- Tianmu on your trip to Taiwan and taking your precious time to share your experience to help us improve on Tripadvisor.

I deeply regret to learn that your second visit was not up to your expectation. I have immediately reviewed and shared your comment thoroughly with all the related staffs. After further investigation, I found that our doorman and the lady staff had been both occupied by other guests and failed to properly deliver their greetings onto your arrival and registration. Furthermore, we will do our best to upgrade our service quality in every aspect to provide a memorable experience to travellers of Dandy Hotel.

On behalf of Dandy Hotel -Tianmu, I sincerely apologize for your defective lodging experience this time. Hope we can have an opportunity to welcoming you and your fiancée back again in the future!

Yours Faithfully,
Tina Cheng, Hotel Manager
Dandy Hotel- Tianmu Branch

Reviewed 16 March 2014

There is a reason this is no 1 and this primarily reflects the great value & superb customer service & support. The staff are great and extremely helpful in optimising your stay.

I had planned to meet 2 friends here and unfortunately at the last minute they had to cancel due to an medical emergency. Although there was no obligation to do so the Dandy immediately by return confirmed there would be no problem with the refund. Larger & better known hotels could learn a lot from the Dandy team....

Rooms are more than adequate and very well designed - certainly a lot more comfortable than many others at much higher price points. The breakfast is also good & offers a number of different options. The free wifi works well. The decor throughout the hotel is themed and fun. It also very practically has a set of scales in reception for guests to check their luggage - what a great idea!

As raised by others a possible issue could be its location in the north of Taipei but this in part depends on what you plan do it as it Is quite far from downtown Taipei as defined by the upmarket shopping & Taipei 101. This was not an issue for me (or I suspect most visitors) as I explored outside Taipei on most days (Mountains and sea are all within half hour / 1 hour) and in most cases I was picked up directly at the hotel.

Nevertheless for those that need it the MTR is easily accessible via a twenty five minute walk or short taxi ride. In fact the hotel is very convenient for spots in the north of the city eg a twenty minute taxi ride to the National Museum (NTD 150) or half hour drive to the Beitou hot springs / Yangmishan NP.

Highly Recommended as a great value, friendly and comfortable base in Taipei

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank stuffmatters
PeggyHsiao, Supervisor at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your support to Dandy Hotel Tianmu. We are glad that you like our decoration and other hotel facilities, and thank you again for sharing your feedback here. It is good to know that you like our location. Many guest would think the location is out drawback, however, Tianmu is a quiet and unique place in Taipei city. As you mentioned, it depends on what your purpose is. If you would like to have a quiet and relax stay, Dandy Hotel Tianmu definitely is your best choice.
We appreciate your feedback again, and hope we will see you soon!!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I only stayed one night at Dandy Tianmu Hotel, but that is enough to see that this is a quality hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful and took care of everything I need. Other than the hall (could use a little update) the hotel was modern with I nice look and feel. The rooms are a little small for american standards, but everything else about the room is great. There was no view from my room and it may not be in the best location for sightseeing, but it is close to a bus station and it is easy to you the mass transit system in Taipei. The hotel is close to shopping, restaurants, bars, and convenience stores.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Tina C, Manager at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for your taking the time to share a review on Tripadvisor.

I am very glad to know that our service could meet your standard. Your comment are the best encouragement to all of the staff. I have noted down your feedback about the hall and room space. We will seek possible way to improve it in future renovation. Furthermore, as you mention the hotel located closely to a bus station, we have proposed a collaboration program to Easy Card Company. I believe that you will find it more convenient and easy to travel in Taipei City by public transportation from Dandy Tianmu.

It was our honor that you have selecting us for your precious 2day-1night trip at Taipei. We sincerely look forward to seeing you whenever you have chance to visit Taiwan again.

Yours Faithfully,

Tina Cheng, Hotel Manager
Dandy Hotel- Tianmu Branch

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We spent 4 nights in a Deluxe Family Room at the Dandy Tianmu Hotel in February interspersed between our trips to Hualien and Taichung. Overall, it was a highly pleasant experience with excellent service rendered throughout (except for a handful of isolated incidents which I will elaborate further).

As many have mentioned, the location of the hotel is not particularly ideal for most holiday-makers. Although there are buses located 50m away from the hotel that would take one to nearby metro stations and the Taipei Main Station, the additional time required on these journeys – 35 minutes to get to Taipei Main Station on Bus 220 with clear traffic – to get to one’s eventual destination should be considered if the hotel is a suitable choice for an individual. The hotel’s location, however, facilitates travelling to the Shilin Night Market and Tamsui. Notwithstanding the inconvenience of the location, I believe the hotel’s excellent service and good spread of breakfast (a good mix of oriental and international fare – certainly offers one of the best breakfast spreads in the CityInn/Dandy hotel chains) to compensate for its inaccessibility. Other amenities like a free self-service laundry facility (with dryers), free printing offered at the hotel’s lobby, complimentary snacks and drinks offered in the lobby and room’s minibar are also perks that set Dandy apart. It also has a state-of-the-art toilet with advanced functions that is rarely seen in boutique hotels.

The excellent service standards were evident from the point I made my booking (with a call to confirm my booking and enquiries if I needed arrangements for an airport pickup within half an hour of my booking being made) through check-out where everything was processed seamlessly. The friendliness exuded by various staff – from the receptionists to the security staff to the chambermaids – certainly enhanced the experience further.

Special mention in particular should go to the following individuals:

Evie – She was perhaps the only receptionist on duty in the day during my stay who would proactively strike up conversations to enquire on our trips to other parts of Taiwan and followed up if there was anything else we needed each time we approached her with a query. She very generously offered to carry a fairly heavy luggage to the hotel’s doorstep on check-out even when we advised her we could manage.

Steven – Besides greeting visitors with his warmth at the entrance of the hotel, he very proactively and generously dispensed invaluable advice on things to do (and things to avoid) and take heed of in Taiwan and would always very generously offer to assist in ferrying our luggage to and from our room each time we checked-in and checked-out. An epitome of Taiwanese hospitality at its finest during our visit to Taiwan.

Bonnie – Beyond being a friendly receptionist on night duty during most of our stay at Dandy, her assistance on our final night there was particularly appreciated as our laundry remained wet even at 4.30am. She very kindly offered to collect our laundry for us and have it sent to our room when dried just so we could get some sleep.

Jim – Another night receptionist whose extra hand was especially appreciated on our final night. As one of our luggage combination locks had been erroneously reset, we were struggling to unlock the luggage in the midst of packing for our departure from Taiwan the following morning. Jim very proactively offered to – and succeeded – help us try the various permutations to unlock the combination lock whose code we had unwittingly reset. Besides that, he was exceptionally helpful in getting itineraries and maps printed during my stay there when there were frequent technical glitches with the printer at the hotel’s lobby. Another prime example of someone willing to go above and beyond his call of duty to assist hotel guests at Dandy.

It is precisely against the backdrop of extensively warm hospitality demonstrated in the incidents above that we found some episodes/policies rather out-of-character with Dandy’s overall experience:

- On the day we arrived on the 19th at around 4pm, there was completely no assistance – not from the doorman/security (this was not Steven) or the receptionists who were all unoccupied – when we were carrying our luggage up the flight of steps to the hotel’s entrance in torrential rain. For a moment, I actually thought we were transparent! As a matter of fact, there was no greeting whatsoever (much less offer of help to carry the luggage to the reception counter) until we were virtually standing right in front of the reception. Upon collecting payment and handing us our keys to the room, we were left to figure out where the elevators were with not even a word to point us in the right direction. It was hardly the most enduring of first impressions.

- On our return from Hualien, we were advised that baggage which we had left with the hotel for storage had been placed in our room. When we discovered that to not have been done on entering our room, we informed the receptionists who then acted to send the baggage up sometime later.

- Notwithstanding the warm hospitality, I found it rather odd that Dandy actually charges hotel guests for making local calls (to compound matters, the rates for calls to land lines and mobile lines in Taiwan are different). I find this hotel policy pretty absurd by international standards as many boutique hotels would offer this service complimentary to hotel guests. This certainly inconvenienced us in terms of getting in touch with our accommodation in Hualien and Taichung after arriving in Taiwan.

Some other areas I think that Dandy Tianmu should look into:

- Throughout my stay, there were frequent problems with the printer at their lobby which their staff struggled to resolve despite their best efforts (on quite a few occasions, Jim offered to print my documents on his PC). I think it would be helpful if they at least had a PC instead of having two Macs for guests’ usage.

- The whole idea of having a VIP Card scheme yet not issuing a physical card to its valued guests in the name of being environmentally friendly (read cost savings) is quite absurd. The personal touch would certainly be enhanced a notch if guests had some momento to remember the hotel by.

The out-of-character episodes/policies mentioned above are the only reasons I believe Dandy merits a 4/5 rating as some of these episodes, while infrequent and sporadic, could detrimentally affect Dandy Tianmu’s first impressions and reputation to any first-time visitors/guests.

By and large, I would very strongly recommend this hotel if the location (and the additional time required to spend on commute) is something a traveler could live with as the benefits far outweigh the inconveniences.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank edtkh
Liane L, Assistant Manager at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking precious time to share your experience of staying in Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch on TripAdvisor. It was delightful that you had a wonderful vacation with us. I would like to express my appreciation for your highlight on our breakfast, facilities and staff. Everyone you mentioned was very cheerful when reading your kind words. It indeed was a great encouragement to us.

I felt regret to know that the hospitality we expressed on the first day of your stay did not meet your expectation. We have reviewed the situation of that day. The two receptionists who both just had ended phone calls with other guests right before your arrival also learned being more attentive to arriving guests when the valet attendant leaves for parking.

Your suggestions about our policies and facilities are also highly appreciated. It was helpful for us to learn more about guests’ concerns and needs. We will keep improving the quality of our service and look forward to the future opportunity to welcoming you again.

Yours faithfully,

Liane Lee
Assistant Manager, Dandy Hotel – Tianmu Branch

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I recently spent 4 nights at the Dandy Tianamu. We chose this hotel based on the many positive reviews, and were not disappointed. When I made the reservation I didn't check how close the nearest MRT station was, and when I realised it was about a 20 minute walk, I almost cancelled. However, the room, the staff, the breakfast, and all the extras made up for the location. And to be honest, we actually enjoyed the walk as it's on wide covered (for the most part) sidewalk dotted with shops, restaurants and cafés. I never timed it, but it probably wasn't as long as 20 mins. We really enjoyed our stay and after a busy day out, it was lovely to come back to complimentary hot chocolate and cookies.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline K
PeggyHsiao, Supervisor at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your support to Dandy Hotel Tianmu. We are so glad that we met your satisfaction during your stay, also it is good to know that you like our location in Tinamu. Tianmu is a unique place in Taipei city, it is quiet and peaceful. Please come back here if you would like to visit Taipei again. We are looking forward to seeing you.

Thank you very much!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Hello,

I have stayed here the end of March 2014 (1 day before writing this review, actually) and I have to say, I am thoroughly impressed.

As I was traveling for the first time, free and easy style at that, I had no idea what to do with my online booking and such. Fortunately, about 3-5 days before I was supposedly going to reach Taipei, I received an email from them, telling me what to do and offering a transfer service, with links attached on useful information like the weather, bus routes, etc. Email responses were very fast and efficient, even at 2-3am. (we share the same time zone back in my home country) They even made the effort to call me personally to double confirm my transfer booking, and the fact that the staff was bilingual was great.

The hotel is located uptown, the first building when you turn into an alley, meaning it is located in a tranquil and quiet area, although that means that the walk to the MRT station at Zhishan would be a distance of walking (around 10-15 mins for me, but when with my parents, we would take ~20 minutes to reach)

We arrived too early, so early check in was not available, however, we deposited our luggage at their luggage room and went on on our tour. I've heard hotels put mints on pillows, but this hotel puts delicious cookies on the bed with a welcome card, which I think was a very nice touch. The rooms were decently big, with a desk the width of the room. The toilet was also rather spacious, with a cubicle for showering and a cubicle with a toilet bowl, equipped with um, butt washing and massaging sprayers.

Breakfast is served 7-10 am, where the area gets full around 8-9 am. The spread is wonderful, with Eastern and Western, bread and spread, cereals and even a dish or two for vegetarians and they also have a hot drinks making machine and a selection of cold juices and milk; my brother and I especially loved the scrambled eggs (compliments to the chefs!). Al fresco dining is also available, although I do not see anyone much to that, the swing on the al fresco area though, seems to be in demand as it was always full.

The staff all around were really friendly and helpful; the receptionists greets you with a smile when you return to the hotel, the restaurant staff thanks you when you leave after a meal, etc. I was most impressed with two of the receptionists who were working when we first checked-in, they were there to help us finalize our trips and answer our queries (my mother has quite a lot of questions, haha) the whole duration of our trip. They were also there to help us book cabs (we were really happy with their suggestion of hiring a cab for the day as thanks to that, we were able to visit Jiufen, Shifen, Pingxi, Jinguashi, Yeliu Geo Park, Taipei 101, Wufenpu and Raohe Night Market on the same day, although that meant we were not able to take a ride on the trains to Shifen/Pingxi) and transfer service.

On the last night of my stay, I went to visit the other floors of the hotel as I knew it was themed around tea drinking. Each floor was themed differently, the ground floor was about tea-drinking utensils I think, like clay teapots, while the other floors were about some countries and their tea. I thought that was a very nice touch; I stayed on the 5th floor, which was themed around Russia and their samovars, however I particularly liked the French theme, where there were trays of tea and macarons on the walls, and the Japanese theme, with branches of sakura on the wall.

In short, this hotel is the perfect little hotel for me, and my family, and I loved every part of my stay here. It may be small compared to major hotel chains, but being small makes it all the more personal between the customers and the hotel and its staff. The location might be a walk to the nearest MRT, but then, I'd prefer the tranquility and peace, and also I like walking to the MRT as I could people-watch at the locals. Also, further up the road, away from Zhishan MRT, there are many places to eat - vendors selling local fare to restaurants selling Japanese cuisine to café or coffee shops like Starbucks to fast food restaurants, like Mos Burger just opposite the hotel, to even a shopping mall, which I found was very convenient for us, whom were tired of eating days of night market food and its oiliness. All in all, I would definitely come here again and for people thinking if this hotel is for them, I'd say go for it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

We deeply appreciated your support to us. We are so glad to see that you shared such detailed feedback on this website. You can see our efforts on maintaining high service quality. It is definitely an encouragement to all of us. We treat every single guest as our friend and try our best to creat the "welcome home" atmosphere. We definitely will pass your feedback to all of our staffs. Please do come back again! Maybe next time you could visit Taipei in spring time(Yangming Mountain flowers festival and hot spring), then you could have a pleasant breakfast time with your family in our alfresco area :P (due to it was still a little chill in February in Taipei, that's way alfresco seats is not popular on that time)
Please check our website to get more return guest discount and information!!
Hope to see you next time!!!

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Such a nice hotel located in a discreet place. The decoration is modern and clean. The breakfast is great! Free nice coffee, chocolate...drinks are provided...and the room fare isn't as expensive as other hotels in Taipei especially compared to the quality received. It would be nice if they are close enough to the metro.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Liane L, Assistant Manager at Dandy Hotel - Tianmu Branch, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

It was our pleasure to know that you enjoyed our facilities and service during your recent stay. Thank you for leaving this nice review for us. We look forward to serving you again in the very near future.

Yours faithfully,