“Yummy yummy bun served by excellent staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Din Tai Fung (Tienmu)

Din Tai Fung (Tienmu)
Ranked #78 of 12,461 Restaurants in Taipei
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Taiwanese
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Atlanta, Georgia
“Yummy yummy bun served by excellent staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

The restaurant is most famous for its soup buns. But also has other various types of buns. In addition, it has some traditional Taiwanese / Chinese dishes.

I've heard that the quality isn't consistent across different locations, but this one is good. Trust me, I'm Taiwanese. I know my buns.

We were invited to this restaurant. Before then, my brother had already told us we need to go when I visit Taipei. And just so happens, people invited us to this place. It's a go to restaurant to bring visitors.

Immediately upon arriving at the restaurant, we were greeted by friendly staff. And the place was packed. Staff noticed my wife carries a purse. Immediately brought out a purse holder for her.

The entire dining experience was great. We were busying eating and talking to each other, but staff was able to work around our chaotic dining style. Food was brought on just fine. Drinks were filled. Not a moment we had to wait for food to arrive. Someone's always available. Fast at cleaning out empty dishes from table as well. Just a great experience.

Now food... I'm not going to bother to describe what I had and how it all tasted. It was good, period. And reasonably priced. I would say I love the red bean bun at the end of the meal. Super thin wrap filled with red bean paste that is perfectly sweetened... I want some now.....

For my non-Taiwanese wife, this is one of her highlights during the visit. As a Taiwanese resident, you may not care much because you may find your local places even better. But as a visitor, you can't go wrong with this place.

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
1,031 restaurant reviews
“The original restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

This is apparently then 1st restaurant that opened in 1972 and located in a shophouse 4 storeys tall. You will almost always see a large crowd waiting with the queue number in hand, mostly Japanese tourists. I've eaten at DTF many times in different countries and just find the good above average but the locals believe the Taiwan quality is higher , so it's worth a try

We ordered the xiaolongbao, the beef noodles, the cold chicken and the spicy dumplings. As expected they were all ok, nothing out of this world. I was however impressed by the service. Very professional and polite

Is it worth the 45 min wait? Probably not

Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“best food in Taipei”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

Always good at every brach resturant! Best in the Taiwan... from the service, the food and silverware and table arrangement is very efficient and well organized. The dumpling or the rice are just so well prepare and cooked. I have not had a bad meal there for the past 15 years that I have visited.. Is just a excellent resturant!

Visited February 2013
Hollywood, Florida
“Same excellent food quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

Ding Tai Fung has many chain stores through out the world and I've been at least 4 of them. I can honestly say, this one in Tienmu held up to the Ding Tai Fung standard. Our Family of 8 were sat in the middle of the busy restaurant on a Sunday night. The food came quickly and everyone loved all the dishes. We soon realized the food we ordered was not enough so we placed a second round. We didn't have to wait long. It was a very good experience.

• Visited September 2012
Tokyo
“Go after 2pm and before 5pm to beat the rush!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

Always a busy restaurant but went and only had to wait about 5min. Staff spoke a bit of English, enough to be helpful. Xiaolongbiao is the best! We ate 2 sets of soup dumplings, 1 spicy wontons and a spinach side and the total bill came to about 600TWD for 2 people.
Staff are incredibly fast and efficient.

• Visited December 2012