“Redeemed by the quality of the staff”

Gloria Prince Hotel Taipei
Ranked #69 of 578 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I picked this hotel because I regularly use the Prince Hotel in KL; a great hotel which I always enjoy. Unfortunately the hotel is a bit past its "best" date and the place is starting to show signs of decay.

The good:

> undoubtedly the friendliness of the staff is one of the great features of this hotel. I was impressed throughout my stay with just how helpful everyone was.

> whilst the hotel is old it remains well maintained. I was on level 4 where housekeeping really did a fantastic job on my room every day.....the lady doing it was lovely. I like the fact that the bedding got changed every day without me having to put a card on my bed specifically asking for it to be changed. Ok, ok call me environmentally unfriendly but part of staying on a hotel is having nice crisp sheets to climb into at the end of the day!!

> the hotel is well located.

The not so good

> The rooms are "past it". Well maintained but looking tired. The bathroom looked especially jaded.

> The room I was initially given had a foul smell about it. I thought it was a smoking room but it just seemed to be getting a smell from the drains. I complained to the front desk who said they would fix the problem. I requested a new room which the hotel arranged.

> I may have been unfortunate but I found the hotel noisy. Noise from the plumbing in adjoining rooms and noise from a group of travellers occupying three of the rooms opposite mine .....all coming and going between each others room with the accompanying noise of shutting doors and talking in the corridor.

Summary

Some things to like about this hotel and if you can snag a bargain then might be worthy of consideration but I will be looking elsewhere on my future trips to Taipei.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank stirl0

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I spent 4 nights here and it is quite impressive. The hotel is a bit old but well-maintain. The location is great. There are many shops & restaurants all around, which are tasty and very very cheap, and also 24-hr supermarket. It is about 2 block from MRT and sure we can walk. This area is always people even at night so not dangerous at all for those who wanna explore the night life. The service is great but breakfast is so-so. This hotel must be a Japanese choice since there are so many Japanese staying here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Vorapot S
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Snagged a room at this place for a last minute business trip. It must be the third or fourth time I’ve stayed here this year… Internet connectivity is still impressive for Taipei and competitive among better properties, and might have gotten better since the last visit. I was also greatly delighted that the property left a power strip and additional pillows in the room as requested.

The hotel is less than 5 minutes away from a 24-hours sushi train and there are at least 5 convenience stores in surrounding blocks. The location is simply amazing and I was able to reach all destinations within 20 minutes.

However, the specific room assigned to my booking (on the 10th floor) was right next to Minsheng E. Road. Windows in this room do not close as tightly as they should so they’re no longer able to keep road noise out. Motor noise was usually audible at 2 a.m. during my stay and I had to wear earplugs every night.

Unlike previous stays, the bed was quite firm so I had to bother staff and request a soft mattress. :( It appeared that housekeeping simply laid a softer mattress that has “Gym” handwritten on one of its corners, with a sharpie, over the original mattress under the linen. The roman blinds in the room did not keep light out during day time, so it was quite hard to recuperate after late night meetings or catch up on sleep during odd hours. This likely has to do with the layout of rooms and windows on this side of the building.

Service feels a bit hit-or-miss and might have deteriorated a little bit. My Singapore EZ-Link card vanished for a whole day after being left in the wall switch. It was returned the other day after raising this issue with reception.

Room Tip: Pick one on the higher floor. Don’t stay on the Mingsheng E. Road side.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Evadne W
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Good location...walking distance for restaurants, shops surrounding the hotel, supermarkets..It is a lively area
Rooms are normal, not luxury but clean. Good Breakfast and nice staff

I liked it. In my return i will probably come back

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jose Carlos G
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Nice location- lots of shops and food options around the area, KTV, shopping malls in vicinity... Friendly staff, but rooms are a little old....Might be needing a slight rennovation. Good option for a short stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Peide77
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Gloria Prince Hotel is a 7-10 minutes walk away from Shuanglian station. During the walk, you will realise there are many relatively cheap and good eating places along the way. There is also a Starbucks nearby for those of you who needs a cup of good coffee for the morning burst. There are a few convenience stores nearby for those who needs food in the middle of the night. The hotel service is courteous and efficient, the housekeeping readily delivered an iron and iron board promptly upon my request. There is also a pretty well-equipped gym on the 11th floor to ease the guilt of having too much night market food. The gym staff do take great care in checking the conditions of the machines and calling the maintenance team if the machines are in need of repair. The room is spacious and i love the fact that my room has lots of windows that look out to the streets. However, being situated near Mackay Hospital does have its downside. You will hear the ambulance sirens every now and then sometimes even in the night. In my opinion, that is just a small downside as compared to the many pros this hotel offers. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank japheth85
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This is my second time staying at this hotel. The bell boy was helpful in handling my luggages on arrival. The front staff was polite. The room was rather spacious as I'd booked a deluxe room this time. It's within walking distance to the metro station. Though convenient, travelers should be aware of various night life entertainment in the vicinity, which was brought to my attention by the taxi driver on my way to the hotel, and might not feel comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple