“Very Nice Hotel in Convenient Location”

Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel
Ranked #64 of 571 Hotels in Taipei
Bay Area, California
“Very Nice Hotel in Convenient Location”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Booked their high priced but very nice Benz service pick up from the airport. Driver was waiting for me an we got on the road and to the hotel quickly. Car had nice rec.lining electric seats in the rear. Cost was 2600TWD vs.1200 for a run of the mill Taxi that I took returning to airport. Much more comfortable and probably safer.
Check in was very quick, efficient and friendly. Got a room on the 11th floor (SPG floor). I asked for a late check out an they said I could check out at 4:00PM since I was a SPG member. Hotels rarely allow this late of a checkout so I give them big points for this.
Upon entering, the room had quite a musty mold/mildew smell. I should have requested another room since last time I had a room that smelled this way at another property (not Sheraton) I ended up with a respiratory infection. I think the HVAC system needed maintenance as it struggled to keep the room cool as well. Overall a decent sized room, everything well maintained and clean. There were 4 complimentary bottles of water, which was a nice touch. Also free internet (also because I think I was registered as a SPG) which worked well w/o any password hassle. The hotel has an interior atrium going all the way up to the top floor, similar to many of the Hyatt hotels. Thus some noise from the restaurants on the main floor carries, but not too bad. Overall a reasonably quiet room. The bed comfort was not the best but not horrible either.The bathroom was up to date with separate shower (that leaked due to a bad door seal) and tub. My main issue with the bathroom is that the lighting was very dim - not what you want for bathroom lighting. Note that the restaurants all close at 9:30 (last order), so only the bar serves food after that. Overall a very nice property.

Room Tip: I was on floor 11 the east side near the elevators and heard some lobby noise in my room. I am guess...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
SheratonGrandeTaipei, Manager at Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear KL-XVIII,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us such detailed review of your stay at Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. However, we are very concerned about the leaking shower you mentioned in your review. If you can email us your room number to sheratongrande.taipei@sheraton.com and tell us your room number, we will have our associates fix the door seal immediately to prevent leakage that could possibly lead to injuries. We will also have housekeeping inspect on the moldy smell and clean the room thoroughly once more.

To cater to the increasing needs of our guests, we have started to provide free WIFI across the entire hotel from January 2013. We noticed the need for guests to stay connected and share their pictures and info with family and friends around the world. Each room has their individual WIFI account, and WIFI is also available in all public areas and restaurants in the hotel. We are glad you enjoyed this new feature!

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to your return in the future!

Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My second stay in Sheraton properties. But this time not as impressive as my first stay in Japan. At least I didn't feel any difference being a SPG gold.

This hotel is large, so you may need to walk a long way from the elevators to your room. Stayed in a Twin Executive room. Room is nice, but interestingly the bed is even narrower than one the in Four Points Taipei. Room size is not as large as the executive room of the one I stayed in Japan.

Executive lounge is OK, but all tables by the windows were marked "reserved" during evening hours. However I had never seen anyone using those tables throughout my stay in the lounge. Food offered was fine. Choices are limited. But freshly made pasta was available during the happy hours.

Service in the hotel varied in different hours. When I arrived around noon, the concierge seems not interested in helping me (with a large suitcase). I could not find anyone to help me to store my luggage. But when I was checking out, the staff was keen to help me to pull my luggage and call a taxi. Staff in executive lounge was always helpful and resourceful.

Location is great. MRT exit is just outside the hotel. You can travel around easily.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jeremy_JF,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are troubled to hear about the discrepancies in service you have encountered during your stay. This is not typical of our standards and we will look into these issues with our management team and improve on these areas of concern.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to have a chance to be of service to you when you visit Taipei again in the future!

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Clean and very nice rooms, with great business & sports facilities and with lots of different restaurants / options for dining.
Breakfast buffet is also reach and diverse, which makes a good start of the day.
Everything was in general very good during my business trip, except the individualized wi-fi connection in the room, which was not always working (but which can be essential for business reasons). But then one can also connect to the global hotel wi-fi instead.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Margarita D,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel. We are delighted to hear that the majority of your stay (except for the individual WIFI) was satisfactory. It is our mission to do our best to accommodate to our guests' every need. We will share your feedback about the internet connectivity with our IT department for further improvement.

Thank you again for your review and should you travel to Taipei again in the future, please feel free to check our official website for special packages!

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is a fine hotel for business with good rooms and modern facilities. The rooms are modern and well maintained. In-room air conditioning is fine but the corridors of the hotel are very warm and muggy.

Staff are very pleasant and the location is convenient to downtown and National Taiwan University. Fitness center is a bit small for a hotel of this size, so expect a wait for some equipment.

Room Tip: Thee are two towers, and it appears that the one with the Sheraton Club is better
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
SheratonGrandeTaipei, Manager at Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear travelandtravail,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at Sheraton Grande Taipei. We will share your feedback about the fitness center and the public area air conditioning condition with our Management team for improvements. We hope you had a wonderful time in Taipei and we look forward to your return in the future!

Bahrain
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel 4 years ago and it still maintains a high standard. Everything works well, good check in/out. Good breakfast selection. Can't comment in the restaurants as we ate out. Very clean and efficient.
The gym is a bit small and personally, I found it claustrophobic but it covers the basics. I tried running outside but it's difficult due to volume of pedestrians and traffic.

• Stayed August 2013
SheratonGrandeTaipei, Manager at Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear Goode2005,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. Welcome back to Sheraton Grande Taipei! We are happy to hear that you find the hotel up to standard and well maintained, and that the majority of your stay was satisfactory.

Our fitness center expansion has just been completed on Sep. 12, 2013. Now guests are able to workout on the 17th and 18th floor. We hope you will find it more spacious and updated when you visit again in the future!

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights. The hotel is in great location with just 2 - 3 minutes walk from MRT, you can get drug store, massage shop, nice japnese restaurant and convenience stores around the corner. It's good no matter you are on business trip or on vacation.

The room is big and clean with decent bath tube and shower. My room didn't have any view, just city view but still fine. The TV is in big screen but too bad is that I need to spend some time to figure out how to use it n tune into the right channel I wanna watch. I like the offer us complementary fruits and they change the fruit if we didn't have it, this is so thoughtful!!

We ate in the breakfast in Kitchen 12, in buffet, the food is ok but nothing special, just the breakfast session ended at 10am, which is a bit early compared to other hotels which normally ended at 11am.

We also ate at the lounge, the waitresses were nice and thoughtful, the food is ok but too limited choices.

About the gym and pool, which is a bit disappointing. Too small and few deck chairs. But still acceptable when u go early in the morning.

The only thing I dislike most is too noisy. Sheraton is a big hotel with over hundred rooms, and the patio like design, made me can hear the noise from Kitchen 12 and Lounge even I was up in 10th floor...

It's a nice place to stay, good for business trip

• Stayed September 2013
SheratonGrandeTaipei, Manager at Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear SumwahAngel,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We are glad to hear that the majority of your stay was satisfactory. Rest assured that your comments will be shared with our management team for future improvements.

Regarding your feedback about the fitness center, we've just finished the expansion to the 18th floor to include new equipment and more space for guests to use. We hope you will have a chance to utilize the new fitness area during your next stay!

Please feel free to DM us at sheratongrande.taipei@sheraton.com should you have any other questions!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I have never had a bad hotel experience in Taipei. I think all the better brand hotels (and even some local brands) provide good service, clean rooms, etc. Each Taipei hotel has strengths you can consider when making a selection. The Sheraton Taipei hotel continues to provide great rooms, great service and, now more than ever, a great location. It offers a connection to Taiwan/Taipei history and a window into modern Chinese urban culture. I also think it is price competitive for foreign business travelers and weekend tourists. I have been staying there , often several times per year, for over 20 years.

Before the development of the newer "business" side of Taipei (think Taipei 101), this hotel was "the place to stay," being close to many government offices and smaller department stores. It's restaurants were well recognized as among the best in Taipei. Before the boom of mainland tourists, the completion of high speed rail or even the MRT, the facility well survived the transfer of business travelers towards the hotels on the Dun Hua North Road side of Taipei by focusing on more local Taiwan business. With the high speed rail now available just 10 minutes away at the main train stations and the awesome MRT system, the Taipei Sheraton has regained its position as a key business hotel. I can stay in my favorite part of Taipei but make all-day meetings in Hsinchu, Tainan or even Kaohsiung without having to change hotels. I can cross the city at rush hour on the (easy to navigate and safe) MRT is less than 30 minutes. It has been great to see the hotel's business really explode while they continue to maintain great service.

The reviewers here with negative comments have valid points. Yes - The exercise facility is a little too small and probably is oversold as a "club" for locals. Yes - The swimming pool is smaller than those at other Taipei hotels and not made for laps. But there are really grand public facilities just a few blocks away with huge swimming pools for just a few (US) dollars to enter. Most East Asia hotels sell "club" memberships. And yes - I rather wish the very annoying, loud (local) afternoon tea crowd would just disappear. But I promise this a great window into urban Chinese culture (You can ask, for example, what are all these people doing with so much time in the middle of the day? Welcome to Taipei!) Likewise, the opportunity to see so many mainland visitors enjoy a great hotel experience is heart warming.

I highly recommend this consistent, reliable hotel.

Room Tip: You may wish to ask for a room away from the restaurant atrium as it is a bit quieter throughout the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
SheratonGrandeTaipei, Manager at Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear Steven W,

Thanks for your 20 years of support! We are astonished and thrilled to know we have such loyal guests who have witnessed the growth of Sheraton Grande Taipei over the past 2 decades.

Our fitness center is currently under expansion till mid September. You will be able to use our brand new space and equipment during your next stay!

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!