“Old but still as good...”

Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel
Ranked #69 of 573 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Not one of the newest hotel in Taipei but they made up in terms of service and quality of sleep....The hotel located close to Taipei Main Station which is just 1 stop away is something I really like.

Check in was quick and they made an effort for my early check in. The hotel is divided into 2 main towers so make sure you know which "wing" you are allocated. The room looks clean but not new. One aspect I don't like for the room I was allocated is that the window shades were not able to be closed fully so you can't sleep late without daylight coming in.

The hotel offers a good selection of restaurants and having tried the Thai and International restaurant, they are both of good quality.

I also like the fact that they offer a comprehensive spa service which includes sauna , steam room and Jacuzzi which is very good for relaxing.

While more and more modern hotels are coming up, the hotel remains competitive in terms of the excellent service and good quality food.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
SheratonGrandeTaipei, 前廳部經理 at Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear The_TravellerSg,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel.

We appreciate that you spent your time out of your busy schedule to write about our hotel and the comments are positive. The comments really give as the energy to drive our service to excellent.

We wish we can serve you again in the near future if you have chance to visit Taipei.

Have a wonderful day.

Sincerely yours,

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel was chosen for me by hosts. Normally I do not like hotels that have hundreds of rooms, and Sheraton is not a luxury name in the US--but this one is different. Despite the occasional crowds in the lobby, everything about it works like clockwork. The rooms are extremely well-equipped, the concierge staff extremely obliging--they even suggested a local massage place rather than the hotel spa--the elevators amazingly fast. All the staff, including bellmen, speak at least adequate English, a godsend for those of us who are afraid to try even a few Mandarin words for fear of using tones that end up meaning anything but what we intended.

The hotel has (I think) seven restaurants, all different cuisines and varying price levels. The biggest one, a multicultural buffet in the atrium that must seat hundreds, is a bit of a zoo, but most of the others are very good and very quiet (the lobby bar menu could use some updating). Taipei of course has fabulous food everywhere, but it you are tired and hungry and don't want to negotiate, you could do a lot worse than eating in.

Location is in the heart of the older government district, with a subway stop in front. Taipei subway is a treat, especially for those used to NY. Lots of taxis as well.

One very nice touch is availability of very late checkout as many of the long-haul flights leave in the evening. They don't charge for the extra half day until after 6.

It appears that some of the floors have not been renovated, and the spa floor is sort of tired. Ask for a renovated room and make sure to look at it before you accept it.

Room Tip: ask for renovated room
1  Thank MillionMiler966
SheratonGrandeTaipei, 前廳部經理 at Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear MillionMiler966,

Warm Greetings from Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel.

We are glad that you like our hotel and your positive comments are driving our service to excellent.

We wish to serve you again in the near future if you have any chance to visit Taipei.

Have a wonderful day.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have stayed there for two weeks for a business trip. The rate included breakfast and free wifi. The breakfast was good - looking forward to it every day. It can do better with more seasonal fruit rotation. There are two towers for the hotel. I like the tower where is away from the restaurant. The room was bigger and quieter. The location was easy to get onto a MRT.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
SheratonGrandeTaipei, 前廳部經理 at Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear P A,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel.

Thank you for staying with us where you belong and we appreciate your valuable comments.
Hope to serve you again in the near future. Please look up for the latest promotion on our web page if you have any chance to visit us.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Ok visit to this hotel. General feeling of things being standard Sheraton rather than “grande”.

The room is fine, contains the standard outfittings, including water boiler, fridge, normal wooden hangars, iron, safe and decent bathroom. But the room didn’t feel that big , and the bathroom amenities were the standard Sheraton branded tubes which haven’t been changed in the last five years or so. Slippers were kind of cheap too.

The hotel has lots of elevators—never had to wait very long.

The fitness center is ok, though a little short of weights. There are plenty of treadmills, and each had their own tv screen. The center provides free sports drink too, first time i have seen this in a hotel. The real travesty is the pool, which looks palatial on the website due to the angle of the picture, but in reality is no bigger than four bathtubs put together. Not suitable for swimming laps. I know that hotels like to show their facilities in the best light, but some practices verge on deception; in this case, Sheraton did cross the line. Not very “grande” at all.

The staff was very friendly overall. They did their best to answer all questions and help out in offering newspapers etc. Didn’t try any of the restaurants but appreciated the free fruits in the room every day. Overall the hotel is very well located, right next to one metro station and a ten minute walk from the main station.

In short, everything was “ok” with this hotel, though not grande. I ended up a bit underwhelmed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear pamarx200,

A warm greeting from Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel.

Thank you for staying with us while you were away from home and we appreciate your valuable comments. The comments give us the directions to improve not only our services but also our facilities.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

stayed for fours nights in June while attending a conference in Taipei. Hotel location is perfect, 100 yeards from the metro station and has a variety of restaurant, convenience stores, etc within walking distances of the hotel. Hotel staffs are excellent, always greeted me with a big smile. Room is rather small, but sufficient for a solo business travler. My room was super clean and housekeeping did a good job during the time I stayed. Had trouble with TV reception for last two nights i stayed, but I didn't get much time to watch TV anyway so it wasn't a big deal. Did not get to try the onsite restaurants, as I mentioned earlier there are many choices around the hotel for different type of cuisines. There's also a famous breakfast place two blocks away in a indoor market(second floor). You will need to go early every morning otherwise expected to wait an hour before you get to order. I really like this property despite its a bit pricy compare to other properties, but given its location and sevice, I would definately return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
SheratonGrandeTaipei, 前廳部經理 at Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Jack L,

A warm greetings from Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel.

We appreciate that you spent your time out of your busy schedule to write about our hotel and most of the comments are positive.

We wish that we can see and serve you again in the near future if you have any chance to visit Taipei.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel from July 14 - 19 due to business trip to Taipei.

Pro:
1. One of the earliest 5-star hotel in Taipei and still keeps itself in good shape.
2. Has quite a few restaurants with one of the best French food in town.

Con:
1. It's located in the city center, geographically speaking,and surrounded by various governmental agencies.There isn't much shops around the hotel. Besides, Taiwan has a very interesting democracy system where street protest in rather normal. Due to its locations, traffic can be very bad when there are protest rallies going on. Better check before your go.
2. There were several large Japanese tourist groups staying during the same time as I did - large means more than 150 tourists! These groups are entirely mid-aged Japanese ladies (not intend to discriminate but to give viewers a better picture). Lobby became extremely noisy when they gathered in the lobby to take buses. Rest areas became luggages area when they arrived and left.
3. Due to the large tourist groups mentioned above, cafe became a war zone during breakfast time. These Japanese ladies would order omelette,fried eggs etc and then waited there for their orders.Question is: cooking area for these areas were located at the end of the main food areas. When you got several people all standing there to wait for their food, you got traffic jam and queue became very long. One morning, I waited for 10 minutes without being able to get anything. Asked the staffs to advise those tourists that they should bring their food back to their tables and came back again to get their omelettes/fried eggs etc since it did take a bit of time to do so. Cafe staffs did not want to do so. If I were to order a la carte, it would take 20 - 25 minutes. Well, you can pretty much guess whether I got my breakfast!!
4. My 15-year-old son flied in on July 18. Picked him from airport, sent him to hotel and I had to run for 2 more meetings. He arrived hotel around 3:30 pm after an four and half hour fly from Singapore. Reminded him to have lunch at cafe. Rather unfortunately for him, another big Japanese group arrived a bit earlier and was also taking late lunch. My son had to queue more than 30 minutes to get his food.
5. Similar situation occurred again in the morning of July 19 while having breakfast with my son. made the same suggestions to the cafe staffs. It was a more interesting response this time: we were being treated as "invisible" guests. No one to add tea, no one to take empty plates away and no one response when we waved our hands for help.
6. My son was feeling stomach pain in the morning of July 19. When seeking help, was first given a wrong hospital, then was given information of a hospital who had no operation on Sat (a hospital operated Taiwan Adventist Church). When asked about how long it may take for a hotel doctor to be able to see my son, I was told that it would take 30-40 minutes. I was further advised that , when complaining that such time frame was too long, this is a hotel instead of a hospital. Please be advised that I was talking to the Duty Manager. When I requested to speak to someone higher up, I was told by the Duty Manager, a young girl in her late 20' or early 30':
(1) It is a Sat and none of the "senior" staffs are around. and
(2) As a Duty Manager, she is the most "senior" one.

Conclusion:
1. I actually have excellent memory of this hotel because I got married there in 1997 and spent that evening in the hotel after the big wedding banquet.
2. Apparently, this hotel is able to attract large size tourist groups and don't want to get them unhappy in any possible way. Single business travellers, like me, are no comparison to the tourist groups.
3. Find out before you go whether sizable tourist groups will stay there around the same time as you are. If yes, change to another hotel if possible.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear LLesq,

Greetings from Sheraton Grande Taipei Hotel. We would like to thank you for taking the time to write us the valuable feedback.

Please accept my sincere apology for the services were not up to your standard in terms of the crowd in the breakfast area. The Food and beverge team has been informed for further improvements. Regarding the wrong given information, the training of communication skill for offering guest the information or opinions will be enfored.

Once again, We sincere apologize for the displeasure and any inconvenience it had caused.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed one night last week at this centrally located place nice & efficient. It is just 1.5 blocks from Taipei train station, great for city travel (Taipei has an extensive subway, very clean & easy to use) as well as HSR (High Speed Rail - super fast for inter-city trips but not all cities have a centrally located station like Taipei's). Overall, just what you'd expect from Sheraton brand.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
SheratonGrandeTaipei, 前廳部經理 at Sheraton Grand Taipei Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear SF_traveler_2010 ,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your resident while you were away from home. Wish to see and serve you again in the near future.

Have a pleasant day.