“Most friendly service staff ever!”

Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei
Ranked #19 of 578 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

This Shangri la has the friendliest and polite staff I have ever encountered. Christopher (noted by other reviewers) and Maggie were in their elements. We stayed at the horizon club rooms which were spacious but rather dated. Very comfortable beds and pillows. Old style luxury with dark imposing marble tiling in the bathrooms. The l'occitane toiletries notched it up for us in the little extras department though! Insuffucient drawers in the walk-in closet so we didn't bother unpacking. Rooms are due for renovation after sept. We hear that the lower levels (non club rooms) have been renovated.

We have had more interesting Club food at other horizon clubs but the service is so outstanding that this can easily be over looked.

The adjoining mall is small and lovely with interesting shops that one doesn't see in the malls ( like at Taipei 101).

Health club is large and spacious (very decent gym, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room. They even have an "ice pool" to alternate between the hot tub and the very cold water) . Very clean showers and toilets.

Location wise- its OK. Easy enough to get around. Lots of eateries around.

I wouldn't mind bringing my kids to this hotel. It definitely seems kid friendly enough in the rooms with the rounded coffee tables and side tables. With service staff who make every effort to make our stay enjoyable, I'm willing to brave a holiday here with the kids!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
SLFEPHOfficial, General Manager at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear twling,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. It is uplifting to learn that you enjoyed your stay as well as our facilities and services. Your valuable feedback is highly appreciated and definitely motivates our team to continuously provide authentic hospitality to our guests. Meanwhile, regarding the insufficient drawers and the food selection at the Horizon Club Lounge that you mentioned, we have reviewed with concerned teams for further enhancement. Taking this opportunity, we would like to thank you for your kind support and we look forward to welcoming you back with your kids to our newly renovated rooms in a very near future.

Best Regards,
Marcel N.A. Holman

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times and the service is always excellent. I was dismayed to see that construction has taken over most of the ground floor during my recent stay - but I have to congratulate the whole staff for working to make the experience as excellent as usual. There were no complaints or gripes about having to work in a very limited area, everyone rushed to be of help, and we experienced no delays at all despite what were certainly inconveniences for the staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Outstanding service typical of Shangrila hotels. Unique layout and a bit smaller than others which is nice. Restaurants are top notch including their buffet cafe. Rooms are being updated which is needed but only due to some outdated interior design and difficult to operate electronic lighting. Wifi is easy but slow. Fitness is good, not great. Many free weights and machines but limited hours. Rooftop pool is unique but rather utilitarian. Good location with a 20 min walk or 120NT taxi ride to Taipei 101 area.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The room was perfect, updated, impeccable. Staff was probably the best part of the hotel. Extremely helpful and professional. Great dining options. They have a great buffet, and they also have more upscale dining, we tried the Marco polo and it was excellent. The bar has a great selection and had live entertainment as well. Everything in the hotel was 5 stars.. no exceptions...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tropicorneta
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We had a very pleasant experience, nice room, no 101 view but we could see it from the rooftop pool. Don't worry if you don't see it from your room, you can still enjoy it while swimming and sipping a drink. The service is excellent, the personnel is very atentive and helpful. We had consistent experience at the reception, in the Shanghai restaurant, at the pool and in the club lounge. Overall we had a great time. In terms of dissatisfactions: the regular breakfast was offered in the mall building. The ground floor/reception of the hotel is suffering refurbishment/improvement and probably that's why the welcoming was done at the back of the hotel and the breakfast offered in the mall. It is not a dramatic issue, you may not even realize it, but for a luxurious hotel like Shangri La is not exactly something you would expect. The one recommendation I would make to the hotel is to demand the guests to stop using the mobile phone in the club lounge. There was a guy, in my view completely annoying, that was always coming to the lounge, dropping the backpack and walking around the lounge while speaking on his mobile. Completely rude as he could have done it in his room or in the hotel lobby. The hotel management should not allow the guests to make and receive phone calls in the lounge, it is really annoying.

Room Tip: The higher the nicer.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just spent 3 memorable nights here in the Horizon Club rooms, directly overlooking the 101 Tower.
The room was roomy, spotlessly clean with the comfiest bed and pillows.
Horizon Club Lounge was lovely. The staff are friendly, attentive and very efficient. Variety of food and drinks on offer is of the best quality.. :-))
Rooftop pool has a amazing view of the city. Comfortable loungers and perfect swimming pool.
Concierge (Christopher) were very knowledgeable, thanks Chris..
Having stayed in many Shangri La's all over the world, this one ranks as one of the best..
We would very much like to return here in the near future..

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I arrived at the hotel at night, my flight from Bangkok was late. I noticed the small lobby, 4 chairs at the Front Desk and 2 at the Guest Relations table. Some tables at the bar on the left of the entrance.
I booked a Premier King Room because I wanted to wake up with the view of 101. This is how the room is portrayed in the hotel site. Upon arrival I was told that my room type was not available and that I would have received a room as nice with a partial view of the skyscraper. The Receptionist offered me 3 times a breakfast package highlighting the convenience of buying a package rather than buying the single meal specifying how much Taiwanese dollars I would save which I found annoying. I was then presented with the surcharge for the new room, I was tired and I signed the contract on the ipad.
The room was at the 15th floor, spacious enough, nice bathroom but the disappointment was the view. Not a huge disappointment, just not what I was expecting, I felt deceived. The pool at the top floor is showing the sign of time but the view is fantastic. At check out the invoice showed the correct amount despite of what I was made to sign at check in. I won't come back and I do not recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
SLFEPHOfficial, General Manager at Shangri-La's Far Eastern Plaza Hotel Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Travelpro64

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your valuable comments with us. We are glad to learn that you enjoy our newly renovated room and the rooftop swimming pool. In regards to the check-in experience, we will further investigate and improve the service sequence. We truly look forward to welcoming you back at our brand new lobby and experience another pleasant journey with Shangri-La.

Best Regards,