“5 Star Exterior and Lobby, 1 Star Standard Room” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Taipei

Grand Hotel Taipei
Ranked #68 of 564 Hotels in Taipei
“5 Star Exterior and Lobby, 1 Star Standard Room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

The exterior and lobby of the Grand Hotel are breathtaking. The hotel is a majestic and very visible landmark, but only partly fulfills its missions of developing international tourism and promoting Taiwan. I booked a standard room thinking that at a hotel like this, even the less expensive rooms would be better than those of more conveniently located and much more inexpensive three star hotels. We opened our door and gasped. The air was very warm and stale. There was a little electric mosquito repellent vaporizer on the floor. The furniture was old and the carpet looked worn. The bed was wide, which could be nice, but it took up most of the room. The bathroom smelled like urine and we had to keep the fan on and door closed so the smell wouldn't permeate the room. The bath was dirty, and a rim of mold was visible in the sink to those using the toilet. My husband was horrified and wanted to leave right away, but we had booked through an agent and had already paid. We couldn't see an air conditioner or any temperature controls, and the housekeeper came and had to look before she found the dial - which didn't change the temperature after all. There were two very visible pinkish drip marks on the mini fridge handle. I consoled myself with an escape to the lobby, which had beautiful lantern decorations in various shapes, then went up the grand staircase and explored the floor. I caught a glimpse of a banquet room being prepared for an event - it was lovely. I saw so many beautiful details throughout my walk that it was hard to believe our room existed in the same building. I looked through the gallery of pictures mostly showing the hotel's triumphs and wished that the hotel could regain its former glory, even if it meant it would be priced out of my range. Looking at their website later, I saw that significant price increases are scheduled, even, incredibly, for the standard rooms. Up until we opened the door to our room, we had been considering a second stay on a stopover on the way home, but not anymore.
Otherwise - the staff was pleasant and most in the lobby area spoke or understood English, even the bellboy. The floor staff was cheerful and understood our questions about the temperature and TV. Check-in and check-out were efficient. We used the hotel's convenient shuttle bus from the subway. Husband's espresso in the lobby cafe was half the price of the breakfast buffet in the adjacent restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

This is the first time that I cancelled my booking with any hotel. Reason, due to a failure to accommodate my usual request for a high floor with good window scenery.

Despite I added in my request in Agoda, I did not receive any email on confirmation of my room as well as my request from this hotel. So what I did was, I found out the hotel's website and dropped a message in their feedback box asking for their confirmation and whether they have received my request.

Sadly to say, 台北圓山大飯店 The Grand Hotel quote me the exact sentence "If you want a high floor room with good window scenery, you might just change your booking through Agoda by yourself.".

I found it ridiculous because in the first place if the hotel was unable to receive my request from Agoda, why the staff asked me to go back to Agoda again.

Instead of being angry with the staff's reply, I spend a little bit more time looking for other hotels and guess what? Grand Hotel is not a really 4 star hotel from several reliable sources. Feedbacks included old hotel, staffs been rude etc. Actually there are even more better hotels with nearer locations to the train stations.

Glad that I missed out a greater disappointment which would be staying in this hotel. Phew!

Room Tip: Choose windows as the it is a hotel with rooms with no windows. For information, Standard room is a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank FollowLee
Honolulu
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

To give it the benefit of the doubt, I rated this hotel three circles, instead of two. I have never stayed at this hotel before, so I was excited to treat my other half to this great looking hotel with unparallel historical significance to celebrate Christmas 2013. Unfortunately, I was disappointed because the services we received were unfit for such highly rated hotel. Most of the employees, especially those doormen/doorwomen, were lazy, unenergetic and lackadaisacal. When we arrived, they were just standing around without offering assistance with our luggage; perhaps, we were not the dignities that they are used to ingratiate. We were on our own to figure out where to check in, and how to find our room, etc. We made reservation for the afternoon tea, and were randomly given one undesirable table. When requested to move to any unoccupied tables close to the window, we were told they were all reserved. Well, that was not true because they were still empty when we about half way finished with our afternoon tea buffet. At that moment, the restaurant supervisor offered to move us, but at that point, we declined. Simply put, they do not treat customers (we had two of our friends with us) courteously at all. This may had something to do with the fact that the hotel employees are like Taiwan government servants, they have job for life. Therefore, they do not have to worry about getting the boot regardless of how poorly they perform their job. I did submit my comment card to the manager prior to my departure, but never heard from the guy. I guess I am only one of the many customers who stayed there. Therefore, it does not matter how unsatisfied I was. With the ever-increasing mainland visitors come to stay there, I guess they can be arrogant; however, I hope they will pay the price for their lack of attention to details serving their customers. The hotel is not cheap by any standard, and yet, the whole place is aged and overdue for renovation. One time stay there earned me the bragging right and that is more than enough for us. Be fair, we had a wonderful experience dining at the second floor restaurant. Its House Special Fried Rice is well worth sampling, same goes to the favorite dessert of Madam Chiang, too. Also, do not forget the steamed dumplings, they were better than Ding Tai Fong. Lastly, I have nothing negative to say about employees there. They were fantastic, particular the lady manager who deserved to be lauded. She was one no nonsense woman who knew her job well and treated her customers like royalty.

Room Tip: City views rooms are highly recommended. They will give you fantastic, 180 degree view of Taipei Cit...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HKP7
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

have stayed many times at this hotel, sadley it is not up to its glory days, when my family comes with me on business trips we all love the adjacent street markets, where one can experience the live of taiwan.
when booking request a room with a balcony its worth the extra money
if you visit taiwan for the first time stay there feel taiwan maybe next trip stay some where else like the president hotel

Room Tip: book a room with a balcony dont stay in the old wing try for the highest floor you can
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank max a
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was a conference guest, therefore had no choice as to hotel for my first trip to Taiwan. It is NOT a great introduction. I could forgive the shabby room (despite it supposedly being one of the better ones), rock-hard bed, dirty hallway carpets, mediocre food (except for special-order banquets, which are better), and charging for extra bottles of water (Taipei is a modern city, but even the locals don't drink the tap water). What I cannot forgive is the total lack of service, contrary to every other experience I had in the city. The staff is mostly young and uninformed, even the concierges; English sometimes a problem; the older staff tries to be helpful but also do not uniformly speak sufficient English to resolve problems and in fact don't seem interested in solving problems at all--such as the complete failure to deal with the in-room safe not working. One day it took 3 people to figure out where I was trying to go to direct the taxi driver, even though I had the directions written out in Chinese.

The hotel is fascinating from the outside and the lobby is grandiose in the old way, which is to be expected as the hotel was designed by Madame Chiang and was the official government hotel for decades. The lobby is so big you can't find the front desk without a search, but overchilled on hot days and freezing on cold days. No one comfortable quiet place to sit anywhere in the hotel. And beware, over half the tourists to Taiwan come from Mainland, and ALL of them are on tour buses headed to see the hotel, crowd the lobby, roam the hallways, and on weekends generally make the place feel like Grand Central.

I couldn't wait to leave and get to a very nice hotel downtown. Taipei is a fabulous destination, but go to the Grand on a tour bus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony, and NOT in the far building.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Wirral, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in November as part of my team arrangement. We were housed in the far annex not good if you needed to nip back for something as it involved two elevators and an outside dash. The interior room was shabby, no windows and old lighting make for an unclean feeling. I had to complain 3 times on 2 different occasions about the noise coming from the room next door. At 2 am reception offered to move me!!!! As my call time was 6am it beggared belief. After my first complaint the phone went off on my room miraculously, so I was having to make the trek to reception after midnight to complain. I lived in China for 3 years and this is by far my worst experience.There are better hotels in Taipei with far more modern amenities. Take some good advice and book one of them.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank fatalice1
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

The hotel lobby is spectacular. But the rooms are old and needs to be updated. The rooms in the older wing are big but the furniture are old and it has a funny smell. My family has to request for a change of rooms. The basic rooms in the main wing are small with old furniture and do not have windows. Recommend to pay more to get a room with balcony to make your stay more pleasant. The walls are thin. Conversations in the hallway, flushing of toilets and knocking on door will disturb your sleep. High human traffic and lobby is always crowded.
You will miss much without staying there but a visit is highly recommended. The staff are friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, it is not the 5-star hotel you would expect.

Room Tip: Get a room with balcony and higher floors
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family