“A High-end Chinese Themed Hotel!”
Review of Grand Hotel Taipei

Grand Hotel Taipei
Ranked #67 of 571 Hotels in Taipei
Singapore, Singapore
“A High-end Chinese Themed Hotel!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The appearance of this luxury high-end hotel from outside is just like an ancient Chinese building with its unique architectural designs, with its lovely decorations, colours and materials used. It presented a Chinese themed image and true enough it is. Located on a hilltop, the view and scenery is superb as you take a peek at the city and even Taipei 101far away.

Once inside the lobby, you will be amazed how spacious it is. I have been travelling to many places and its one of the very few hotels with such a massive lobby. Everything inside is red in colour, with its carpet, lights, lanterns etc. In the center of the lobby, there is a huge Orchid Flower display. It was awesome and beautiful. On the side are antique themed chairs and sofa for guest to rest.

Then there are 2 flights of stairs (of course there are lifts) leading to the 2nd storey with shops around and the famous "dragon in the fountain" display. According to the local geomancers, whoever who walk around this display 3 times will gain a fortune. Really? I don't know as I don't believe this but I saw many visitors really walking around the display as told (there is a explanatory stand here introducing the display).

On the other side, are wall pictures showing well known politicians and celebrities who have stayed at the hotel before. Awesome.

They have done a major uplift and renovation work in the hotel (since it has been around for a long time) to inject a fresh and new look. Nevertheless, once inside, you will feel nostalgic and many things you see or come across are so vintage and seemed dated back for a long time.

Staff were courteous and polite. The room we had was fine, quite spacious and had a good view overlooking the mountains and its quite serene and tranquil. No complaint for this aspect.

The location of the hotel is not within the shopping area though, and for window shoppers like us, we prefer to those hotels around Ximenting or Zhong Xiao Zhong road, the shopping districts, which are more accessible via MRT trains, buses and taxis. So we stayed here for one night before moving back to Ximenting.

But it was a good experience staying at this luxurious hotel with such a long and enriching history! (even if you are not staying at the hotel, you can also dropby for a visit too as its open to the public visitors. So why not?)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 August 2014

First of all, you can tell that this is an old style hotel built probably in the 1970s or 1980s. They renovated many rooms, but we stayed in an old room. The service is excellent, since they give you most everything you ask for. However, they don't smile a lot, and the younger staff have more of an attitude. Overall, the service was excellent, but could be improved. Now, the older rooms are spacious and gorgeous, but they seem to be in a bit of disrepair, and there were many loose screws in the bathroom (BEWARE). One great feature about the bathroom was the toilet. Yes, you heard me, the toilet! It had heated seats and two buttons that would wash your rear. Very amazing for a old hotel, if you ask me. I would say that the cleanliness of this hotel is certainly one of the cleanest. So if you ask me, I would plan on going to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are the best! I would suggest that you get a room with a balcony view of Taipei...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Albertma222
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have attended many functions at this hotel, and was first impressed the huge lobby. The red carpet that spans the entire lobby, give you the feeling that you are royalty and is very inviting. The staff are very pleasant and do know fer bit of English.

For me the best part of the hotel is not its antiquated look, that seems to carry you back to certain dynasty, but rather the amazing food and lovely cuisine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gordon S
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights for a conference held in the hotel. First time there. Compared to previous stays at The Okura and Sheraton Grande Taipei, the rooms here are luxurious. Got a room facing the hill, which was quite peaceful. Spacious room, bath and balcony. Breakfast was excellent. So was the service. Only downside was the distance from the city centre, which is a short taxi ride away. Very near Shilin Night Market but getting to the nearby train station can be a challenge. Didn't venture far due to the sweltering summer heat. The room provided cool relief.

Stayed July 2014
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Great staff will treat you well, whether you look like a backpacker or a business traveller. I looked like a backpacker, and was treated like one.

I stayed here because it had an interesting story and history. And great views. And because it was known - I was to be collected the next morning by a guide and driver and wanted somewhere I felt confident would be easy to find. I booked a room with a balcony, even though it didn't include breakfast .... and got a room with a balcony at the back of the property. It happens, no biggie, city views would have been nicer though. My check in was ok, at no stage was I offered porter assistance with my backpack. I managed the lifts and got to my room.

The room was big - very big by Taipei standards. It was clean. But desperately in need of renovations. Furniture was chipped or marked, the bathroom was very 1970's, the bathroom floor slippery when wet. There was a bath - too shallow to bathe in, so it just became a barrier for the shower. And it was pink - it looked discoloured, although that may have been the era.

Minibar was over priced for local costs, and even when compared with other hotels I stayed in during my time in Taiwan. The restaurants also over priced. It didn't feel like it was within walking distance of services, although I arrived in the middle of a storm so didn't perhaps explore enough. There is a shuttle to the local markets. Lots of gift shops - over priced, no 'convenience store' to purchase extra water (although the room comes with two bottles that are complimentary.

Shortly after I checked in, they began testing the fire alarms. And continued every few minutes to test them for over an hour (my guess would be it went in my area for 90 minutes, on and off!). In all honesty they were ineffective - in order to hear the message they were playing to say it's a test, do not respond, I had to leave my room anyway. No chance to sleep off any jetlag with a nap while the bells were going off and on from 4pm!

Given the name "grand", I'm left believing this refers to size, not services or facilities. I was left underwhelmed - there are much better options in Taipei - go find them!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Tho many years ago experience's like this never leave your mind. On an assignment whilst married we were booked into this PALACE for around 2 whole months or more till I found a residence for our stay.
If memory serve's me well it was Madam Chang Kai Chek who had this built as a copy of an old Palace on the mainland
Seeing it in all it's glory driving up to the hotel sitting in all it's majesty on a hilltop in Taipei I knew immediately this was no normal experience I was "in China" and how wonderful.
The Entrance alone was huge with Ming Vases's and Tapei carpets how very very luxurious, and i wished i were a chinese princess as i felt like one.
The grand courtyard in front of the hotel even had the dragon's out which i watched from the balcony wonderful .
It is a truly lovely hotel and very grand ,complete with all kinds of restuarants "what kind of chinese food do you like"? from which province? Ahhhh oh western yes it's there to . Simply take your pick .
Bedrooms gorgeous luxurious . I had a wonderful time there and the staff were great to me despite my lack of Chinese we understood one another I even learned to direct taxi's in chinese . I spent one and a half years in Taipei and loved every minute of it and the kindness of my chinese neighbours.
This is more than well worth a visit.

Room Tip: ask when booking the front of hotel facing the city gorgeous at night to see,
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I was privileged to have been booked into this exquisite grand hotel. It looks so imposing as I was driven up the the hotel and entering the lobby with the large red columns and Chinese decor was breathtaking. My room was large with stunning views and admittedly the furnishing could have been a little more luxurious. The breakfasts were good. I took a wonder around in awe of the splendor and privilege staying here.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo