“A very oriental hotel that is rather out of the way”
Review of Grand Hotel Taipei

Grand Hotel Taipei
Ranked #71 of 575 Hotels in Taipei
Melbourne, Australia
“A very oriental hotel that is rather out of the way”
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Location:
It is situated at an elevated area which is more north of Taipei downtown area. There is a straight bus from Airport that stops outside the hotel.

Room & amenities:
I have booked their Deluxe Room and was surprise to be given a free upgrade to their Executive Suite! The room is huge! It is 93 sqm and I am not sure if it is inclusive of the L-shape balcony. The room is facing towards the Shilin night market direction. Hence I could not get the view of Taipei 101. But I am able to get other nice views of Taipei. The room has a working desk area, a living room, a bed room and a huge L-shape balcony. You also get a walk-in wardrobe. There is also a negative ion air purifier. The room interior is very oriental. All the furniture used are wooden craved. The bed quite huge! There are two queen size bed! It is also rather comfortable. There two LCD TV. One in the bedroom and one in the living room. Complimentary mineral water and English newspaper are provided. But there is no complimentary internet in the room.

Bathroom & amenities:
The bathroom is quite spacious and amenities are quite standard. But it is very dated design. There is no rain forest shower and no shower cub. Just a bathtub with shower curtain. There are two basins which you and your partner can brush teeth together. However, the toilet bowl is more of higher tech. There is a toilet seat warmer option which comes in handy for cold days and also the washing options.

Service:
When I arrived at the hotel entrance, a bell gal (yes, it is rather special that they employ female porters) attended to me and help me with my luggage. But later it is a bell boy who sent my luggage straight to my room. The check in and check out is fast and staffs speak good English. I arrive at 12pm and my room is already ready and they even let me have a late check out. The staffs on the whole are friendly and helpful. This hotel did not provide turn down service which is a bit disappointing. Taking a cab at the hotel is fast and easy.

Facilities:
They have swimming pool which the design looks like a public swimming pool which I did not get a chance to use it.

Surrounding:
This hotel is extremely busy with people! I am not sure if they are guests or just public who come and take photos. The hotel is way out of any places of interest. You just cannot walk to anywhere as it is situated sort of at the up hill area. There is a free shuttle bus that brings you to Yuan Shan MRT station. But if not, catching a cab will be the best option. If you do not take breakfast in hotel, your best alternative is Yuan Shan MRT station area or Shilin area which is only a 5 mins drive away. The nearest MRT station would be either Yuan Shan or Jian Tan which is both 5 mins drive away.

This hotel is catered more to those who have no problem in transport. The guests around me are mostly from tour groups. Overall, the location is extremely off central. But if you think cab is ok, it is easy to get to National Palace Museum, Shilin Night Market and Martyrs' Shrine. All is within 5-10 mins taxi ride. If you decide to go to the Flower Expo, this hotel is good cos it is very near! But if you are into shopping mall and eateries, this hotel is strictly not for you. I will not recommend to "normal tourist" but would strongly recommend if you wish to experience a piece of history.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Travelling_Craze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I don't like old hotels. I'll take a new Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriott over the grandest hotel with the richest history any day fo the week. But this is probably the best old hotel I have ever stayed at. Those of us who hate old hotels will be comfortable here; lovers of old hotels will be hard pressed to find a better one to stay at.

The facade is hard to beat. I've seen thousands and stayed at hundreds of hotels, and this is the grandest building of them all. Tour groups come to take photos of the building. Outside, common areas, and the rooms are full of rich craftsmanship. It really borders on overwhelming. And, while not every room has the same view, my balcony overlooking the city was fabulous.

Location really is an "it all depends" thing. It's a cab ride to downtown... simply not walkable. But it's on the airport side of downtown, so it saves a little traffic. And, its location on top of a hill behind a gate keeps it quiet.

The rooms were "not bad". They had nice beds, high pressure shower with lots of hot water, Good pillows. A/C which works. Half price mini-bar. Bathroom had a strange toilet with heated seat and several choices for squirting water on one's parts. Many of the shabbiness problems that just go along with being an old hotel (including that smell), but really no issue with anything not being there or not working correctly. Internet worked correctly, but one had to get a card with user ID and password at the desk). My room included internet in the price, but apparantly, not all do.

Restaurants were very good. GREAT breakfast buffet.

Pricey by local standards.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Klomo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 July 2010

This hotel must be the biggest rip off in the history of hotel rip off's ! Fortunately we only had one night booked here. From the outside it looks great - the lobby is also impressive however the rooms are........ well I was just stunned when we opened the door to the room ! ...... we had a room on the 5th floor which was tiny AND had a window that opened onto the corridor !!! but at least it had curtains ......overpriced does not even begin to describe it ........ I asked about internet - yes they have it NTD 500 for 24 hours and NTD300 for 3 hours !! unbelievable considering their charges ............ dining ? forget it --- Golden dragon restuarant has prices that make Hong Kong look cheap ! ....... This hotel caters for mainland chinese or for those that can stay in their VIP rooms ..of course I didnt see these but I suspect that they would also disappoint ........... go take Photos from the outside - dont bother with the inside !

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kieran11
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We stayed here for one week for a conference that was being held at the hotel. The public areas are quite nice and you can see why bus loads of tourists show up here to take photos everyday. Overall, the stay was acceptable, but if we had been paying rather than our company, we would have been really really disappointed, if price is taken into consideration ($150/night).
Room--We had an "inside view" room, which means there is a window into the hallway. It was ok the first couple of days, but after that it felt a little depressing. The room was constantly damp, despite running the AC. The furnishings and bathroom are quite old, but clean. However, one day when we opened the cupboard where the fridge is kept a bug (cockroach or cockroach type) crawled out.
Location--As other reviewers have mentioned, it is a bit out of the way. The shuttle is the most convenient way to get to the MRT station. It comes every 20-30 minutes, but a couple of times it was so busy we had to wait for the next bus. You can also walk to a different MRT station (15 min, downhill).
Restaurant--Breakfast was included in the conference rate so we ate at the buffet every morning. Although there were "Western" breakfast items on the menu, the quality was extremely poor (runny scrambled eggs, for example). The made to order eggs were the only thing that tasted good, but half the time the cook didn't cook them long enough (runny whites). The "Chinese" style breakfast tasted much better (at least it was cooked properly). We also ate at the hotel's restaurant Yuan Yuan--the dumplings were ok, but nothing to write home about.
To sum up, I would compare the quality of this hotel to a run-down Super 8 motel (although I've stayed at Super 8's much nicer than this!)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank PT_Duck06
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I stayed at the Grand not really by choice as it was set up by a friend who got married in Taiwan. The hotel indeed looked grand on the exterior and the lobby was an interesting sight too. Very cultural. The first thing that made me wary was that the room keys were normal keys (i.e. not a key card) and anchored by a 1.5lb branded key chain (You leave your key at the desk when heading out for the day). I immediately feared this was too "old school" of a hotel. However, the room wasn't horribly "old". Our rooms had the balcony which faced the entrance and that was a nice view. Although in January it can be quite overcast/rainy. We could see Taipei 101 on a good day. In the bathroom the shower was just okay. My shower at home is better. The toilet was the highlight item... it was a bidet and had heated seats. That was the biggest comfort. Also nice was the free in-room slippers. The quality wasn't as good as the hotel we previously stayed but it was nice to have so that I didn't have to worry about being barefoot. The TV in the room didn't impress me much. It was a flat screen though.

We did have daily breakfast which was pretty good. They had a good selection and the quality was good. We did lunch one day at one of the hotel's restaurants (not where we at breakfast) and it was decent. My tastebuds are picky so I'll just say that food wasn't horrible but in generally it's not my kinda of food, so.

The pool isn't on-sight... you have to walk down a bit to a club or something to get to it. I didn't bother make the trip but found this to be rather an inconvenience. I'm thinking this hotel is mainly for the business traveler. I wouldn't recommend it for family or leisure. One of the other bonuses however is the timely, throughout the day free shuttle that takes you to the train station that isn't too far away. That was nice since the transit system is pretty good, cheap and easy to navigate.

Overall the hotel is okay, it's in a pretty good location (close to a station and free ride to the station), pretty clean and decent food to eat. We got a break on the price so I can't speak to the value for the price.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sraynor16
Ghaziabad, India
Reviewed 19 March 2010

It is an execellent change to stay in Grand Hotel Taipei. This is different from all run of the mill kind hotels. The beautiful lobby is the best part and panaromic surroundings the other one. Make sure to get the room with a view.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Raj-K-Arora
Austin, TX
Reviewed 7 March 2010

This is a really unusual hotel... one of the world's best hotels in the 1960's, US President Eisenhauer stayed here, as did Madame Chiang and other dignitaries of the time.

The hotel is incredibly impressive from a distance (on previous visits to Taiwan, the taxi drivers always point it out if you pass by) and I was excited to be actually visiting and staying there.

The entrance is out-of-this-world... it's like attending a formal function like a state dinner, or perhaps one of those black-tie dinners that James Bond was always going to... very expansive lobby with huge columns and an enormous staircase. Everywhere you look there are architectural details like carved marble, artistic ceiling tiles, etc. This building will be a national architectural treasure in another 200 years.

Our meeting rooms were well equipped and had excellent and attentive staff. Bell staff and concierges were friendly and helpful.

The hotel has "good bones". In many ways it reminds me of the Noga Hilton in Geneva, representative of the first wave of international super-class 5* hotels of the 1960's

But...

Time hasn't been very kind to this hotel... maintenance is clearly being performed on a low budget and the priority seems to be keeping the lobby and restaurant areas impressive on first impression for the bus-loads of tourists that come through.

Carpets throughout the hotel (both public areas and guest rooms) are worn and dirty-looking - I don't think they are actually dirty, but they just look dirty because they getting old.

The rooms themselves vary a lot (there are quite a lot of different room types here, some of my colleagues got suites which they said were quite nice, I had an inexpensive room in an annex at the back and so I'll review the room that I got).

My room was clean and functional, but very dated. I'm sure it was a nice room once - for example, the bathroom had marble and expensive gold-plated Kohler fittings - but looks like it had not been updated since 1976 or so.

The bed is "Asia hard" but not as hard as some places.

The closet arrangement is very lacking. It is like two half-closets where one half is in your room and the other half is in the next room. The only thing separating you from the next room is a sliding mirror which has been fixed in place... so if the closet door is open, you can hear EVERYTHING in the next room, and if your neighbor is hanging up stuff in the closet, it sounds almost like they are in the same room with you. Also sound insulation to the corridor was quite poor, could hear every conversation going on anywhere near my room.

The entire hotel is non-smoking.

I did not use the swimming pool but it is a fairly long distance from the main building.

Restaurants were overall good.
- The buffet was consistently good for breakfast and lunch, good selection, tasty, quality food, but always busy.
- The Golden Dragon restaurant had a great view and an excellent and good value set menu for lunch, but it was overpriced and not as good at dinner, with slow service both times. Recommended for lunch.
- The tea house (behind/under the main staircase) is a small windowless dining room with good Dim Sum but quite expensive for what it is, there are better places in Taipei, and I would go to the Golden Dragon upstairs instead for lunch. There was some kind of staff contest going on while we were there and the waitress was more concerned about us giving her a good evaluation than serving our table, at one point we had turned over our teapot lid (universal signal of asking for more hot water) and she came over twice to ask us to fill in the evaluation form without refilling our tea.
- Pastries from the coffee shop looked and tasted like they had been prepared the previous day

The hotel is quite far from downtown Taipei. If you want to eat outside the hotel, there is nothing really in walking distance. There is a free hotel shuttle every 20 minutes that will take you to the rapid transit train - the rapid transit is modern, fast and clean and will take you downtown quickly for NT$25; a taxi downtown is more like NT$200 or NT$300.

NT$100 will take you from the hotel to the Shi-Lin night market, which appears to be the local hangout for Taiwanese. We fed 8 people dinner and beer for NT$800 (about US$25) total, but this is very low-end dining and frankly not very good or clean, so only do this if you want the true Taiwan night market experience.

Overall, would stay again as a tourist, but I would be more inclined to stay downtown on business.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business