“Haunted, schmaunted”
Review of Grand Hyatt Taipei

Grand Hyatt Taipei
Ranked #30 of 584 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 26 April 2014

It's fine. Reasonable hotel, reasonable price, ok service. Bar's a bit dull, breakfast a little patchy, check in and check out were both unnecessarily slow. Nothing to hate, but nothing to be excited about. Oh, and no sign of a ghost, either.

5  Thank Simon W
GHTOfficial, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Simon W,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to provide you with a comfortable stay and authentic service. Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. We really appreciate your comments as they are our compasses to lead us in the direction of improvement.

We look forward to seeing you soon in the near future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I did review this hotel about five years ago. I'm currently here now, they've done a lot of renovations and are still in the midst of it. They know they'll be competing with the JW Marriott shortly and basically told me that is why so much renovation.
So its such a grand hotel, beautiful lobby and decorations. Incredibly helpful staff.
We did have some issues with the renovation noise on our floor and they will be knocking out a wall during our stay. They've made up for the few mishaps much in our favor.
The location is awesome. You can walk to the 101 if that is your thing. A tad overpriced for me. Then a little beyond that, still within walking distance and on the catwalk thingy, is an entirely different shopping area with cinema, shops, food court and very westernized so I really like that. I wasn't here long enough 5 years ago to explore much. But this time yes. At that shop, there are most fast food names you would recognize as well as California Pizza Kitchen, the Diner, something about Irish Potatoes, Krispy Kreme (OMG, the lines are out the door for those donuts, lol).
The rooms here are very nice. I'm a Hyatt Platinum if that matters. Have a very nice room with flat screen on the wall. CNN, BCC, HBO, Cinemax, Star, ATN are about the only English speaking shows. But I have a slingbox app so watch all my shows from home. My bathroom is quite big with a shower I'm sure 5 or so can fit into. Lots of amenities, so if you forget something don't worry. Huge big towels, robe, slippers. I can't think of anything that isn't in the room. They service the room twice a day. There is a mini bar (I do not use). There is a button you can draw the black out curtains so you can sleep in. The phones are equipped with a wake up call button to set. My wifi has worked great. As I mention, I steam from my home DVR, and have not had any problems.

I made a great find this morning. A coin operated laundry is only a few blocks away. I'm here almost three weeks, so this was a great find for me. The Hyatt doesn't have a single thing to hang laundry on should you chose to wash you unmentionable in the sink. For some reason, nothing was drying in my room the first week either. So the coin laundry is named Dexters and is on Renai Rd a few blocks west. they have three size machine NTD50, 70, or 100. it goes for 30 minutes and the dryers, well, they always take way longer but put in at least 80 for a reg. load.

Back to the Hyatt. The taxi's are plentiful and only cost 200 to get you to the Main Taipei Station. We had to take the HSR each day. Very easy to get tickets, all staff behind the counters speak English. We took a tour that we set up through the hotel where the tour guide picked us up and dropped us at the hotel.

We ate in a few of the restaurant. Zigga Zaga pizza was good with a live Jazz band we enjoyed. Cheers we found very expensive with a burger and beer almost $30US. yikes. Our room includes the breakfast buffet which is out of this world. This guys/gals work so hard to fix your meals. The buffet has so much food, Asia as well as western foods. They take so much care to perfect your pancakes

We have access to the Grand Lounge> Again, so much top notch service. We are taking such good care of in the lounge. They put out a beautiful evening spread.

I'd return to the hotel again. I am a Marriott Platinum Elite, so I will most likely check out the new JW next time just to see how that goes.

3  Thank trekker954

Dear trekker954,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Grand Hyatt Taipei with us. Your candid feedback on the renovation as well as the hotel’s facilities, restaurants and bars is well received. While we are about to complete the full renovation of all our guestrooms and suites by the end of May, we also have plans in place for our restaurants renovations, lobby renovation and exterior lighting enhancement. We’re constantly endeavouring to upgrade our hotel to provide better luxury and services to our valued guests. The hotel will be reaching the 25-year milestone next year and we are very excited about presenting “the new look and new products” to our guests!

Grand Hyatt Taipei, conveniently located in the city’s most vibrant commercial centre, is adjacent to the Taipei 101 tower and the Taipei 101 World Trade Centre Station of the recently opened Xinyi MRT line is only three minutes’ walk from the hotel. With this location, we can provide you with the convenience and accessibility to explore the vibrant city of Taipei.

We hope to be able to provide you with a pleasant stay in the near future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights. The food lacked variety and wasn't as good as I had expected for this kind of hotel. The wait for the lift was very long. Some of the images in the room appeared a bit spooky.

The location is extremely strategic next to the WTC and many other shopping centres. Contrary to what has been written by others I had no paranormal experiences at the hotel. The hotel staff enters the room probably twice a day so expect them to turn off the lights, remove the toilet roll etc which may seem frightening to some people.

Room Tip: Choose rooms closer to the ground floor if time is an issue.
1  Thank riverwaf

Dear riverwaf,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Grand Hyatt Taipei on your recent trip. We have taken your feedback into account and will be sure to pay special attention to your observations. We appreciate you taking your time to provide us with your valued feedback as it is our reference to strive towards providing our guests with better experiences as we continue to constantly improve the hotel on many fronts.

We greatly appreciate your continued support and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and to provide you a different experience in your next stay with us.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I spent 3 days and 2 nights at the grand Hyatt Taipei in their suite. Being a diamond member means I have stayed at many other Hyatts, Its easy to make comparison.

First of all the outside appearance of this Hyatt is very very outdated, almost seem dirty. It definitly need more lighting on both side doors, there are many times I walked out and tripped on the stairs at night because of poor lighting by the side door or just the surrounding garden walkway.

On to the room, the room is very average in size, the windows are old construction(small and its not extend down to the floor. and ceiling is low does not feel like any other Hyatt I've been which is usually very open and high ceiling.

The house cleaning service is extremly poor, the first day I went out early in the morning and by the time I came back to the room the room by 3pm, it did not get cleaned by 4pm I got a knock on the door and say if its ok to clean. Well I am already back to the room to rest, so I told them next day. I just wish they clean it early in the morning like ALL hotels I have stayed at do.

On to the club lounge, this is the first time I have been to a club lounge that declined to allow me bring in a guest. They wont allow any guest unless that guest has registered initially when you checked in. I have spoke to the club lounge manager and she insisted that I would have to pay extra 800TWD to bring a guest in, without flexibility or seeing me being a Diamond royal member, to me thats just disappointing. I think this is the most ridiculus part of my stay, since the purpose of a "lounge" is for people to gather and hangout, but this make it seem like you can only be there by yourself.
So good luck bring in your coworker or friend when you are staying in this supposely 5 star hotel. I been to a lot of 5 stars, service has always been way better than this hotel, this hotel is more like a 3-4 star.

Room Tip: pick another 5 star hotel, this one is not really worth the money
1  Thank Weihao L
GHTOfficial, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Weihao L,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Grand Hyatt Taipei on your recent trip; and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay with us.

Your candid feedback on the newly renovated suites as well as the hotel’s exterior is well received. While we are about to complete the full renovation of all our guestrooms and suites by the end of May, we also have plans in place for our restaurants renovations, lobby renovation and exterior lighting enhancement. The hotel will be reaching the 25-year milestone next year. We are very excited about presenting “the new look and new products” to our guests !

We sincerely apologize for the housekeeping service shortfall during your stay. The concern has been addressed to our housekeeping team accordingly.

We have taken note of your comment on the Grand Club Lounge facilities. The Lounge service is exclusive to our registered Grand Club guests only, and there is an additional charge for the invited guests to the Lounge. We will endeavor to further address the requests of our Grand Club guests in the near future.

We greatly appreciate your continued support as our most valuable Diamond member. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and to provide you a different experience in your next stay with us.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed 3 nights for an unexpected stop in Taipei. The Grand Hyatt Taipei was a great choice. Clean rooms, very nice breakfast spread. Two other plus points, the internet service (I used wired) was very stable and fast, and the choice of TV channels was more than enough.

I used Cheers to dine in, and the quality of the food was very high.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GHTOfficial, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear BalaShark,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Grand Hyatt Taipei and thank you for your valuable feedback!
We’re really pleased to have helped made your stay a pleasant one. Thank you for your continuous support and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to continue to provide a memorable experience for you at Grand Hyatt Taipei.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I've stayed at the Hyatt a number of times. Right now it is still undergoing renovations and they have updated about half of the hotel rooms. The new rooms are nice, much more modern than they were previously. But, the one thing this hotel has always excelled at is their service. The people are attentive and extremely helpful. They go out of their way to assist or to ask if you need any help with anything. It is wonderful to see a hotel still offer this kind of service.
The location is great, it is a block or so from my company's offices and sits in the very trendy area near Taipei 101 which means there's lots of restaurants to select from all within a short walk.
Lastly, their breakfast buffet is very good and offers a great variety of food. Other hotels I have stayed at, particularly in Taipei, have a pretty limited selection. The Hyatt does not and it really does make a difference.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
GHTOfficial, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Taipei! Your positive feedback is very important for us.
Indeed, providing all our guest with the utmost sincere and authentic hospitality has always been our main goal!
Once again, thank you for your comment and we sincerely look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is one of the best business hotels I've stayed in in Asia. Perhaps that is because it feels the most like home.

The room is a good size. It has a nice work station with lots of ways to connect your laptop or tablet to the TV. There is a comfortable area to relax as well with a nice lounge and table. The curtains actually velcro together to keep out light at night (a nice touch that I have never seen before). The bed was one of the softest I've had in Asia. And, the room was very dark at night, which made sleeping easy. The rooms have been renovated since I was here two years ago. They are much better with a more modern feel now.

The hotel is next to the Taipei 101 tower, which has a really great food court (and Din Tai fung) if you don't want to eat at the hotel. There's also lots of high end shopping in the tower. The hotel is also very close to the main exhibition center in Taipei.

Service was very friendly.

The only negative was the hotel is a little on the expensive side for what you get.

1  Thank skline2
GHTOfficial, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Taipei, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you so much for your positive feedback, your comments means a lot to us and we are sincerely grateful that you have enjoyed your stay, and had a good night sleep!
We look forward to your next stay at Grand Hyatt Taipei.