“Little hidden gem in Beitou”
Review of Solo Singer Hotel

Solo Singer Hotel
Ranked #5 of 262 Taipei B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Located in a hidden alley of Beitou, the hot spring area of Taipei, Solo Singer is an unexpected little gem. As we arrived in the evening, it’s welcoming soft yellow lights shone warmly beaconing us. The hotel has about 50 years of history, inside the décor is a mixture of vintage furniture (the most memorable being a beautiful large mirror and green sofas) taking you back to the Golden age of Beitou as a major entertainment district of Taipei mixed with contemporary trendiness, you can spend a while just at the cozy foyer checking out the interesting products on display, like cds by local musicians or art works of emerging artists.
Solo Singer also organizes interesting cultural events like art shows or talks. There’s also a roof terrace where you can leisurely lounge and a small reading room/library equipped with interesting books. The inn is an intimate one with about 8 rooms, the room we stayed in was extremely comfortable with high quality bed and mattress and featured original art work. The bathroom is beautiful with old tiles. There’s a kitchen and the breakfast prepared for us was delicious with lots of fruit from the South of Taiwan.
Staff and manager are super friendly and talking to them feels like talking to old friends.
Beitou district is great and there is lots of information on what to do there at the inn, hot springs are everywhere and you can also hike to Yangmingshan, there are so many excellent restaurants too near Solo Singer. Highly recommended! I hear Solo Singer will soon open a tea-house, we visited the tea-house space which is wonderful and can’t wait to spend some time there on our next visit to Taiwan.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 October 2013

A friend of mine recommended Solo Singer Inn to me. And I have to say, that was the best recommendation I got in a long time! The Solo Singer Inn is a little bit hidden in Beitou, the hot spring district of Taipei. It's a five minute walk to the subway station which is very convenient to get anywhere in the city. The hotel itself is an old Inn, carefully renovated, with a lots of charm, in a quiet neighborhood. Each room was designed by a different designer or artist and thus, has a lot of personality. The reuse of some old furniture and old material let you feel the history of the place. The staff is fantastic too. They make you feel like you are an old friend, they answer all your questions and are very helpful with any kind of request you might have. The breakfast is served in a adjacent building just beside the Solo Singer Inn. Each day there is some different kind of breakfast, this could be noodle soup, porridge or sandwich, all sourced from carefully selected, nearby restaurants, and made from locally produced ingredients. On top of that there is always tea, coffee, toast and lots of fruits. The staff usually introduces the different guest to each other and in no time I made new friends from all over the world. The same room is sometimes also used for art exhibitions, film screenings or other social/creative events.
I highly recommend staying at Solo Singer Inn because it's so much more than just a place to sleep!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Jonas_in_China
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We decided to book the first 3 nights at Solo Singer with the intention of moving somewhere a little more central toward the end of the week. In the end, we simply ended up extending our stay and remained there for the entire 6 days!

The inn is extremely cosy and quaint, and our room on the third floor was well designed with super chill vibes. The only "con" for some might be that it's slightly out of the way (for those who want to be a little closer to central Taipei) but I loved that it was in a peaceful, quiet area. Also point to note is that the lane it is located may be slightly hard to find at first, but once you know it, taxi drivers have no problem locating it and it is only a short walk to the train station. We also had no problem navigating / heading to central Taipei (it's like a 20min cab ride to most places...) and returning late at night.

Finally the other great thing about the inn is the staff! They were super friendly and helpful - always ready to recommend places to go / things to do, greeting us with smiles on their faces and always up for a chat. These guys were definitely a highlight of the trip and showed us awesome Taiwanese hospitality, thanks Teresa, Anny, Heather & co. ;)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank CPetrat
Reviewed 25 September 2013

It's a bit hard to find even for someone like me who have visited Taipei many times. Despite that downside, I am glad I found this place. It's very chill and different. Though Taipei is too hot and sweaty, I don't like airconditioner and I can sleep with my windows open without being annoyed by the passing cars on big streets. And I love the fact that they are not "fakely professional." There is more of a human touch in this space. If you travel long term like me, it's highly recommended to check their official website for some nice deals. When I stayed, there was buy three get one free for weekdays and that's a good deal for me.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sophime
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I was dragged here by my girlfriend (now fiancee) when we were in traveling in Taiwan. At first, it sounded like a terrible deal: She described it as a small, old hotel hidden in some alley far from downtown Taipei. But when I got there, turned out to be a hidden gem.

We ended up staying for three evenings. It was as charming as it was small, and the sort of place I would have never discovered on my own.

Highly recommended if you're looking for an offbeat retreat.

Disclaimer: Definitely not the sort of place I'd stay on a business trip. If you're thinking Four Seasons, I'd recommend somewhere else.

Room Tip: The stairs were steep, but we had a room on top floor that we enjoyed a lot. Bed super comfortable a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2013

At the first place, I chose this place because a friend's recommendation. Through her description, I wasn't sure what I will be getting because It doesn't sound like a regular inn. After staying there for three days, I realized it's definitely not your regular bed&breakfast. More precisely, it's really like a home in Taiwan. Every time I approached the staff for help, they were friendly and patient. I could freely use the simple kitchen, and all the common area. I used them to write my diary and grab a beer with friends after a tiring day visiting the city. I like how quiet and natural it feels, which is the feeling that's not so easy to get in Asian cities. I enjoy the feeling of going back to my secret base everyday. The inn is in the northern part of the city. With 5-10 minutes walk, it's easy to reach Beitou metro station and that's what I use to get around the city. Thank you all. You know I will come back soon as promised.

Room Tip: 1. Feel free to use all public areas because rooms are small (Probably because it's preserved fr...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank paulaction
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I recently stayed at this little hidden gem tucked away in a small alley in the hot spring town of Beitou (just outside Taipei). I had planned my road trip down the east coast of Taiwan and Beitou was to be the first stop where I would meet up with my friends from other countries before setting off down the coast. By arriving a couple of days earlier than the rest, I gave myself a chance to to explore this charming little town.

Solo Singer Inn was the perfect place to stay. Not only did it provide an experience of what it was like in the past, with its well preserved furniture and fittings, but it also was a quiet little place of respite where I could unwind from the faster pace of life that I had become accustomed to back in a big city. I took the top floor room closest to the common living room that opens out to the open air balcony. I was told that all the rooms had been designed by local artists and that my room was the work of a local novelist. That was clear to see as my charming room had walls that were lined with books and inspirational photos taken by the author.

One of the great things about Solo Singer Inn is the staff. As I made the final arrangements for the road trip, they were always on hand to give advice and to help make reservations for me as my Mandarin had become a little rusty over the years. When I wasn't planning the trip, they pointed out cool palces to visit, whether it be the local market place for a bite to eat, the artisanal coffee shop around the corner, or a nice place for a jog in the later afternoon.

Overall, this is very much an ideal base from which to explore Beitou. It's a different experience, akin to a boutique hotel (but more honest to its local roots), and will provide the traveller looking for something other than a generic tourist hotel a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends