“...even on a cloudy day”

Yangmingshan National Park
Private Day Tour: Discover North Coast Of Taiwan From Taipei Including Lunch
Ranked #8 of 554 things to do in Taipei
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Embrace nature and flower gardens with a picnic or leisurely hike up the rolling hillsides of Yangmingshan. The park is accessible by public bus.
Wollongong, Australia
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“...even on a cloudy day”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We didn't see a lot of the park as it was shrouded in cloud and quite cold. We arrived in the last days of the flower festival but there were still a lot of calla lilies blooming. I think we were lucky in our timing as we saw the early plantings of rice and vegetables too. We caught the 260 bus and then the shuttle in the park. After looking at the flowers we hopped back on the shuttle ( if you only speak English do some homework first). Visibility was as poor as our communication methods, but we managed to get off the bus at the free public bath and have 45 minutes soaking before it was closed for cleaning. We caught the 15 shuttle from in front of the baths to Shilin then onto the MRT. An invigorating day trip but now need to go back to see more.

Visited April 2014

Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“good hiking”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

the trail to the peak is very steep (that's a like). it was hazy I could bearly make out Taipei 101 and the coast line, but I can imagine the great view on a clear day.

Visited March 2014
London
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“A good half-day expedition”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

YangMingShan National Park is one of 8 national parks in Taiwan. It is located just outside Taipei city limits but still very easy to get to from Taipei Main Station on public bus 206. In addition to being the location of Taiwan’s tallest inactive volcano, the park is known for its cherry blossoms, its world class hiking trails, and for its venomous snakes!

I was always aware of the reputation YangMingShan has for its venomous snakes. I have always been fond of jungle trekking in the tropics, such as at Taman Negara in Malaysia, and during my time getting up close and personal with the apes in the epic Gunung Leuser National Park in Sumatra, and while there are obviously venomous snakes hiding there somewhere, I was always more concerned about the pythons which can constrict you to death and attempt to swallow you whole. Maybe because Taiwan is not so notorious for its constrictors, it gave me more reason to fear the venomous snakes

I arrived on what began as a fairly sunny morning. Very hot and humid, although later on in the day, although it stayed dry, it did begin to get slightly cooler, which may be down to the elevation changes I encountered in the park. What I noticed more than anything was that this was a very beautiful park, with lush foliage everywhere. Compared to somewhere like the Botanic Gardens in Singapore, or Shinjuku Gyeon in Tokyo, this was as immersive as I have ever seen. Treading very carefully, and always on the look out for those dangerous snakes, I began a fairly easy hiking trail. Before you enter the park, there are many side-streets and food stalls. It is a good place to grab a bite to eat before you embark on your hike through YangMingShan. Get as many bottles of water as you can carry too!

There were plenty of places to rest in YangMingShan, although nowhere that I could see that sold refreshments. I am now aware there were a couple of places, but interestingly enough I did not see them as I was walking, in which case other travellers must have had the same problems. That’s why it is important to stock up on water before you enter the park.

Many idyllic spots for families to congregate can be found along YangMingShan’s many walking trails. The Juansi Falls are very picturesque although hikers are advised to avoid this area in rainfall due to the danger of mudslides.

Only on one occasion did I see a snake, and research has showed me that it was indeed very venomous! This little snake was fairly low down in the bushes, curled around leaves on a tree, and could have easily bitten me at around knee-level. Luckily, I was able to survive this encounter, and even got to take a few photos (with lots of zoom involved!).

I have seen hot springs at Beitou, just outside of Taipei, and they were very impressive but quite urbanized. The hot springs here at YangMingShan were much more in touch with its rural setting, wildlife and all. I didn’t get to hike the 3,675ft Mount Qixing, which is the highest point in the park and the highest point in Taipei proper, but if I ever return here then it will be among the top things I want to do!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank BackpackerLee
Hong Kong, China
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Calla Lily Festival at Yangmingsan ”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

There are many ways to get to Yangmingsan. We took the minibus 8 from MRT Shipai station, which is about 100 m on the right side after exiting from the station. It is important to note that on a weekday, there was only one bus per hour, departing on the hour.

This mini bus takes you directly to Zhuzihu(last stop) so it is really convenient. At Zhuzihu, there were many flower farms with fields of calla lily. Depending on the landscape of the farm, the photo opportunities were quite extensive. It is easy to spend an hour walking around any of the farm and taking photos - even picking calla lily for NT10 each.

There were a few local restaurants on the main road serving local cuisine. We particularly liked the mountain vegetable that they all served. The prices were unbeatable.

If you visit Yangminsan in March /April, make sure to visit Zhuzihu for the Calla Lily festival.

Afterward, we took the minibus 9 which headed to Shin Beitou for a hot spring dip! What a great way to relax!

1 Thank vacation_day_n_nite
Kuala Lumpur
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“The season of calla lilies”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The bus trip to go up Yangmingshan was quite a nightmare especially on a weekend. Peoples are everywhere. But the calla lilies were beautiful, but to see the truly beautiful farm, you will have to go to 苗榜 MiaoBang, flowers there were impressive, but the catch is, there's a minimum spending of NTD$150 per person which you can use the coupon/voucher to purchase lunch.

Visited April 2014