“if you don't mind not having a window..this hotel is great !”
Review of Shin Shih Hotel

Shin Shih Hotel
Ranked #379 of 574 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights. Everything is great..except there is no window in the room !
I mean, there is one but the view is the other building 5 cms away, so you can't open it.
If you don't mind it, then please go ahead and stay here, you won't regret it. It was one of the cheapest options I had found, the location is excellent, near the MRT, close to main attractions in Taipei and close to the bus that will take you to the airport.
The room is a bit small, but comfortable and very clean. There is also complimentary bottles of water everyday, and the breakfast is not that bad after all. The staff is also very nice and helpful and speaks enough English.
Free wifi internet in the whole hotel !

Btw, the bed is great and because there is no real window, it gets very dark at night and you will sleep great !
I would stay here again !

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank susyarcy
There are newer reviews for Shin Shih Hotel

Reviewed 29 April 2011

Shin Shih Hotel is a great hotel for budget travel, as it is really good value for your money. The hotel and the rooms are very clean and have a good standard, however the furniture show some traces of age. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the breakfast buffet with a mix of Chinese and Western food was adequate.

As I stayed for 2 nights at the beginning of my trip and then again 2 nights at the end of it I had two different rooms, that differed in design greatly. While the first was a rather ugly mix of Western and Chinese style with dark marble tops, dark fabrics and dark wood, but with a nice bathtub, the second was in nice, bright Japanese style with sliding windows and light brown furniture, but with just a shower head in the bathroom, so there was water all over the floor after a taking a shower.

As I chose the cheaper "Superior Room" I was not surprised that both rooms had no real window, just a window giving out to a concrete wall only 15cm in front of it. The spaciousness of the rooms was OK for the price and the amenities were great: free WiFi, a kettle with tea and coffee, a huge LCD TV with a few English channels, slippers, bottled water in the mini bar and free toiletries.

The location is a big plus: only a short walk from MRT Shuanglian station (where the Evergreen bus drops you off from the airport, however it did not pick me up for going back to the airport so I ended up chasing the bus in a taxi until the next stop), across the street from a large hospital, next to a police station (so I definitely felt save as a female solo traveler) and in a lively area with lots of shops and eateries (also Starbucks and McDonalds).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank LiMo2009
Reviewed 12 February 2011

The hotel was a perfect hotel for those who want to be closer to the cultural aspect of Taiwan. It's very clean, safe, has plenty of hot water, and a great staff. I loved the hospitality of the hotel, very cozy and two minutes walk to MRT Shualien station (one station north of Taipei Main station) Very reasonable rates and free Internet and breakfast.
I will stay here anytime I travel to Taipei.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I am very glad I picked this hotel as advised by fellow travellers on Tripadvisor. It is a simple hotel, nothing pompous, might even look a bit rundown from the outside, but it has everything we need - a comfortable bed, good air conditioning, reasonable breakfast, and you can find anything an average traveller needs in the room. The location is excellent - less than 5 min walk from a MRT station and Ambassador Hotel which is a stop for some airport buses, and there are plenty of food stalls and convenient stores around the hotel. I would recommend this hotel for travellers on a budget and yet desire the comfort and convenience of a good hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sgsheep
Reviewed 1 January 2011

First time to have to stay in a hotel in Taiwan as I have usually had the luxury of staying with friends. This hotel was recommended by a local friend who helped with finding me a inexpensive sleep. Nothing fancy here as I only needed a place to sleep and shower.
Booked online through their website and they were quick to get back to me to confirm details / take a deposit.
Location was good in that it was a short walk from the MRT after being dropped off by the Evergreen bus from the airport. Lots of local shops in the area for food / water.
Room was a good size although it had no real window. Washroom was large. Bed was a bit old / soft but nothing to complain about. An older building and it shows but seemed to be well kept.
Overall a decent place to stay at a good rate if all you want is a place to sleep.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank YVR-AKI
Reviewed 24 December 2010

We enjoyed our stay in this hotel. 1. Convenience - there's Evergreen bus fr TaoYuan airport to the hotel; 2 min walking distance to ShuanLiang MRT station; Watson, Starbucks, McDonalds, Dante Cafe, bakery shops, restaurants nearby 2. Nice Room - Not spacious but clean; beds are OK; many TV channels to watch n there's DVD player; provide/replace daily most of the toiletries we needed; free bottled drinking water; kettle to boil hot water if u want to make tea/coffee (there's free coffee fr the coffee machine downstairs; free WIFI (strong only when we use our laptop near the table) & there's PC downstairs for hotel guest to use for free 3. Simple Chinese Breakfast - Quiet standard every morning there are juice, coffee, tea, porridge, rice, soup, vegetables, eggs, meat, fruits etc. but we dont mind as its taste OK. There are plenty of restaurants/bakery outside the hotel if u dont like the hotel food.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2010

This was a 2 night stay and my first visit to Taipei since the 1960's. Hotel staff were courteous on check in though I thought it was funny that when I checked in at 7pm I was told to wait 10 minutes while they "checked" the room. I found that the room I thought I reserved through Booking.com was not the Deluxe but Superior. Since the hotel was full no upgrade was possible. I definitely won't go through Booking.com again for hotel reservations. The room (802) was adequate, air con was excellent, toiletries were plentiful and included all the ones found in 4/5 star hotels and maybe even more. I requested a non-smoking room in my reservation and though there was no smoke smell in the room the bedding had a slight smoke ordor. I am not ultra sensitive to the smell but if others are it may be a problem. The room also had a hot water pot with coffee and tea available along with coffee available downstairs. Room is small but adequate. Bathroom is typical Asian in that the shower will spill over on to the floor. Breakfast came with the room. Typical Asian breakfast with rice soup, vegetables, meat, rice, one fruit, juice, coffee and tea. They did have eggs and sausage (not appealing) and toast. I'm use to having rice soup (congee) so breakfast was ok but simple. If you don't like the Asian breakfast you can go down the street to Dante and get an American breakfast.
The positives are great location, easy access to MRT and near airport bus stops. Toiletries in room were plentiful. Good air con and hot water.
My major complaint was they advertised and told me on check in that there was wireless in my room. I didn't bring my laptop since I had my smart phone that could connect to the wireless. I never got a connection in the room. The room did have a wired connection that if I had a laptop it might have worked. One of the staff came up right after I checked in to see why I couldn't get a connection but gave me the usual response that they would check it out in the a.m. Needless to say when I asked about it the next day in the afternoon the response was they would call me when it was working. I've been in Asia long enough to know that is the polite way of saying we aren't going to do anything. The wireless worked fine on the ground floor but it was rather inconvenient.
Overall impression is that the room and service does not justify what I paid (NT2080). My next visit to Taipei will be at another hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo