“Nice villa, but terrible service”
Review of Villa 32

Villa 32
Ranked #123 of 585 Hotels in Taipei
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We've been a regular at Villa 32 for many years now dating back to 2007 having visited the resort on multiple occasions. The resort itself if you are lucky enough to get the bigger public spa (they switch the men's and women's sections I think monthly) is excellent. The bigger public spa area is very spacious with outdoor seating that is both very relaxing and zen-like. However, if you are less fortunate to get the smaller public spa area, then it's really just average. So I would call first to see if the bigger public spa is being allocated to the men's or women's section first before visiting. If you can get the bigger public spa area, then it's worth it; but if not, then Kagaya down the street is better. The private spas at Villa 32 are overpriced for what you get. It's a better deal to just do a day trip and then stay in Taipei City as there is absolutely nothing to do in Beitou in the evenings and there's no way you'd want to be in the hot springs for more than a couple of hours anyways.

Now to the most important part of this review: The biggest complaint that we have about the Villa 32 resort is the service. The overall staff is very friendly and welcoming, but beware of the manager - Sabrina. Words can not describe how amazingly unpleasant it was to have to deal with her. Our first 4 or 5 trips there were fine, but our last trip there was the worst ever. When we first arrived, although we had been many times before, Sabrina looked down upon us right away. I am not too sure as to why she held such an immediate bias, but my guess is, most likely because of our age or perhaps the fact that we speaking in English. My wife and I joked that perhaps we should have worn a t-shirt that said "I have a black Amex" then perhaps we would have gotten better treatment. A bit of sarcasm, but most likely true. So after a very long wait in the lobby (where many others who arrived after us were lead down before us), we were finally lead downstairs. Also, no tea was offered to us, but other guests were offered tea. Once downstairs, while my wife and I were deciding what time to meet since we had to go to different spas (men/women), we were pressured and rushed and spoken to in a rude/holier-than-thou tone like we had no right nor the money to be in a nice resort. But it only gets better...After our spa and before dinner, we saw some friends standing right outside the lobby upstairs having a cigarette. As my wife and I were stepping outside to say hello them, Sabrina rushes over and grabs my shoulder and asks where I was going and if I had PAID YET. UNBELIVABLE! First of all, touching a customer is unheard of. Secondly, if one has ever been to Villa 32, one will know that from the front reception to the exit is about a 50 yard walk and there's guards at the main entrance after the walk so trying to bail on the bill is nearly impossible. Plus, it's Taiwan, I can't imagine anyone doing that, nor wanting to do that. Remember, we haven't had dinner yet (and our package was Spa + Dinner). So we told Sabrina that we were not running away, we have more than enough money to settle the bill, and that we were only stepping outside to say hello to our friends and we would be heading to dinner shortly. Having to even explain this to her was shocking. Anyways so we chatted with our friends outside and from the back I could see her eyeing us the whole time. Very very uncomfortable and unbelievably unprofessional.

Later on at diner, we spoke to the staff at "The Restaurant" about our earlier experiences with Sabrina and they were kind enough to comp us with free wine and hinted that we were not the only ones who have complained about her; and we got the idea that most of the staff there probably did not like her either which made us feel a bit better in the sense that it wasn't just us. We are not the type to really voice our opinion especially if it's negative, however, a couple of days ago we were out having dinner with some friends and the topic of hot springs in Taiwan came up and it turns out our friends had the same horrendous experience with Sabrina as well.This incident happened about half a year ago and we have not gone back to Villa 32 since having opted for Kagaya instead. My wife and I rarely comment and are pretty easy going folks, but for us to actually agree to take the time to spend 30 minutes to warn others, then it must have been quite an unpleasant experience. Future patrons of Villa 32, please take note, but more importantly management at Villa 32, please take note as well.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank carterbrady

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I visited Villa 32 with my fiancee for a hot spring session. The allocated room was clean, neatly prepared and had all the necessary toiletries for our after shower. There is a ceiling curtain whereby you can open it up to enjoy the "little" sky view during your dip. There was no bed provided, just a small sofa beside the tub. Overall, I think the price is too pricey but the ambience is really good for a getaway.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kAkaLow
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Way too expensive for what you get. My wife and I got a hot spring for 90 minutes and the room wasn't that great. They loaded it with name brand soaps and lotions (according to my wife) in an effort to justify the cost I would assume. We promptly put them all in our bag. We did enjoy the shower simply for the water pressure. The service was nice but we decided to stay for dinner which has deserved this place my terrible review. Several TINY courses and none tasted good, but guess what? Dinner came with a $220 price tag. Maybe I don't have a "sophisticated pallet" but the food was sub par at best. Never again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nick R
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Visited the Villa 32 around three weeks back. They have a very nice, calm ambience and a wonderful set of massages/ hot water treatments that will leave you wanting more. A highly recommended visit for anyone who stops by at Taipei!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My bf and I came over CNY and to say Beitou was busy was an understatement! Luckily I had foreseen this and booked a private room so we could enjoy the hot springs without the crowds. The rate was at the weekend rate of $3000 for 90 mins but we didn't mind paying the extra.

The room itself was much better than expected. It had a deep bath, shower, toilet, sink area and a couch for relaxing on. We came around 15 mins early and to our joy the room was already ready for us. It had a wonderful relaxing feel with dim soft lighting and wooden interiors. They also had a fold-able canopy so you can see the stars at night. Although ours was a little dirty so we couldn't see that much!

The water was idyllic and made us very relaxed. Next time I think we will stay over night as all we wanted to do after was have a nap!

The staff were very friendly and advised us to drink water every 15 minutes. There were complimentary snacks and Evian water. There were also L'occitane products to use which was a nice touch. Bath robes, slippers and plenty of towels were also provided.

We had a call 15 minutes before our time was up. Maybe a call 20 minutes before would have been better as it wasn't much time to get ready in! We went over by around 10 minutes which they didn't seem to mind.

Overall highly recommended!

Room Tip: Stay over if you can! Go around early evening as it's more relaxing when it's at night.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I can't begin to explain how amazing the service and experience is here. I had made a reservation for a public pass, and I was using a US phone, and they had called me to explain they needed to close the public hot spring for cleaning, but because of international phone issues, I never received the call. When I arrived, they were super accommodating and apologized for the inconvenience. They then set up a private room for me a bit later to make up for it. The staff was so pleasant and the facilities were immaculate. They even sent me off with an umbrella because it was raining and they noticed I did not have one. I am definitely coming back here whenever I'm in Taipei next and recommending to all of my friends!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Me and my family spent a night in their Japanese suite "matsu" on December 14th. The indoor decor was simple yet relaxing, and the suite was abound with Japanese components. Tatami floor, wooden ceiling, small and exquisite garden, and a big wooden outdoor bath tube. The suite itself was really attractive. Refer to their public hot spring pools, they were awesome! Best in Taiwan for sure. Go and experience their resting area with a view. The service was impeccable, every staffs were friendly and kind, and do help us a lot. This place gave us an unforgettable 2 days!

Stayed: December 2013