“Excellent service and environment”
Review of Villa 32

Villa 32
Ranked #113 of 570 Hotels in Taipei
Hong Kong
“Excellent service and environment”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed with my wife in Villa 32 for 3 nights in early May. The service of the hotel was excellent. The staffs recognised all guests since they had only 5 rooms. They mostly passed the room key to us once we entered into the entrance even so dark outside.

The room was spacious and clean. Hot spring in room was as comfortable as the outdoor spa. Lounge for rest was excellent. The breakfast served in room was also wonderful. Glad that they changed some new magazines in the room in the second day of our stay.

The fruit basket was renewed everyday. We couldn't consume a big fresh pear and planned to eat in the evening. It was disappeared and replaced by other fruit when we were back. I hope they wouldn't throw away it. I felt a bit guilty as they changed our toothbrush everyday. I am sure willing to use the toothbrush within my stay so as to minimise rubbish. I think they want to make sure guests can use the new and clean things at all time. To save the environment, it's better for the guest to choose either discard the things or reuse them.

The shower in room was trendy but not user friendly. It was difficult to control the water flow from the shower as the handle is quite sharp. And the floor was very slippery. A small chair or waterproof rug can avoid dangerous.

Generally speaking, it was a good stay in Villa 32.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Of course the settings and gardens make Villa32 one of the nicest place to eat in Taipei.
Staff is nice, but watch out as no children are allowed in (and children means less than 16 years old).
We only had dinner there and did not sleep.
The food they serve obviously uses super good quality ingredients, and the Chef makes efforts to make unique creations.
Definitely one of the best tables in town, but be prepared for an expensive bill.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We called ahead from a taxi on a Tuesday evening to make a reservation and arrived 25 minutes later. Once we got there it was practically empty, save for 2-3 Japanese visitors, and we nearly had the place all to ourselves. It is a textile-free zone (no bathing suits) and there are separate spas for men and women. There are about 6 or 7 thermal pools of varying size and temperature, say between 35-42 degrees Celsius. The location feels very remote and private, and quite conducive for soothing relaxation. An ample supply of towels and bathrobes are always at the ready, as are bottled water, fresh fruit and snacks in the tv lounge just outside the thermal baths. Nearly every type of men's grooming supply is on offer in the changing area for maximum primping après spa, if that's your thing. So you literally just need to bring yourself and a desire to relax deeply and be transported to a happy place. Staff is welcoming and very professional.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I didn't stay in the hotel, just had a dinner in their Michelin-level restaurant and then went to public spa. Overall, the place is very expensive, but it is decorated with great taste, the restaurant is really very good, and the spa is comfortable. It was an enjoable visit for me and my friends.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sailihua
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We've been a regular at Villa 32 for many years now dating back to 2007 having visited the resort on multiple occasions. The resort itself if you are lucky enough to get the bigger public spa (they switch the men's and women's sections I think monthly) is excellent. The bigger public spa area is very spacious with outdoor seating that is both very relaxing and zen-like. However, if you are less fortunate to get the smaller public spa area, then it's really just average. So I would call first to see if the bigger public spa is being allocated to the men's or women's section first before visiting. If you can get the bigger public spa area, then it's worth it; but if not, then Kagaya down the street is better. The private spas at Villa 32 are overpriced for what you get. It's a better deal to just do a day trip and then stay in Taipei City as there is absolutely nothing to do in Beitou in the evenings and there's no way you'd want to be in the hot springs for more than a couple of hours anyways.

Now to the most important part of this review: The biggest complaint that we have about the Villa 32 resort is the service. The overall staff is very friendly and welcoming, but beware of the manager - Sabrina. Words can not describe how amazingly unpleasant it was to have to deal with her. Our first 4 or 5 trips there were fine, but our last trip there was the worst ever. When we first arrived, although we had been many times before, Sabrina looked down upon us right away. I am not too sure as to why she held such an immediate bias, but my guess is, most likely because of our age or perhaps the fact that we speaking in English. My wife and I joked that perhaps we should have worn a t-shirt that said "I have a black Amex" then perhaps we would have gotten better treatment. A bit of sarcasm, but most likely true. So after a very long wait in the lobby (where many others who arrived after us were lead down before us), we were finally lead downstairs. Also, no tea was offered to us, but other guests were offered tea. Once downstairs, while my wife and I were deciding what time to meet since we had to go to different spas (men/women), we were pressured and rushed and spoken to in a rude/holier-than-thou tone like we had no right nor the money to be in a nice resort. But it only gets better...After our spa and before dinner, we saw some friends standing right outside the lobby upstairs having a cigarette. As my wife and I were stepping outside to say hello them, Sabrina rushes over and grabs my shoulder and asks where I was going and if I had PAID YET. UNBELIVABLE! First of all, touching a customer is unheard of. Secondly, if one has ever been to Villa 32, one will know that from the front reception to the exit is about a 50 yard walk and there's guards at the main entrance after the walk so trying to bail on the bill is nearly impossible. Plus, it's Taiwan, I can't imagine anyone doing that, nor wanting to do that. Remember, we haven't had dinner yet (and our package was Spa + Dinner). So we told Sabrina that we were not running away, we have more than enough money to settle the bill, and that we were only stepping outside to say hello to our friends and we would be heading to dinner shortly. Having to even explain this to her was shocking. Anyways so we chatted with our friends outside and from the back I could see her eyeing us the whole time. Very very uncomfortable and unbelievably unprofessional.

Later on at diner, we spoke to the staff at "The Restaurant" about our earlier experiences with Sabrina and they were kind enough to comp us with free wine and hinted that we were not the only ones who have complained about her; and we got the idea that most of the staff there probably did not like her either which made us feel a bit better in the sense that it wasn't just us. We are not the type to really voice our opinion especially if it's negative, however, a couple of days ago we were out having dinner with some friends and the topic of hot springs in Taiwan came up and it turns out our friends had the same horrendous experience with Sabrina as well.This incident happened about half a year ago and we have not gone back to Villa 32 since having opted for Kagaya instead. My wife and I rarely comment and are pretty easy going folks, but for us to actually agree to take the time to spend 30 minutes to warn others, then it must have been quite an unpleasant experience. Future patrons of Villa 32, please take note, but more importantly management at Villa 32, please take note as well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank carterbrady
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I visited Villa 32 with my fiancee for a hot spring session. The allocated room was clean, neatly prepared and had all the necessary toiletries for our after shower. There is a ceiling curtain whereby you can open it up to enjoy the "little" sky view during your dip. There was no bed provided, just a small sofa beside the tub. Overall, I think the price is too pricey but the ambience is really good for a getaway.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kAkaLow
Simms, Montana
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Way too expensive for what you get. My wife and I got a hot spring for 90 minutes and the room wasn't that great. They loaded it with name brand soaps and lotions (according to my wife) in an effort to justify the cost I would assume. We promptly put them all in our bag. We did enjoy the shower simply for the water pressure. The service was nice but we decided to stay for dinner which has deserved this place my terrible review. Several TINY courses and none tasted good, but guess what? Dinner came with a $220 price tag. Maybe I don't have a "sophisticated pallet" but the food was sub par at best. Never again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple