“Unbelievable Horrible Experience”

Ranked #154 of 240 Speciality Lodging in Taipei
Mandalay, Myanmar
“Unbelievable Horrible Experience”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

It was the worst experience I've ever had in a guesthouse and I would hope that this will never happen to anyone else. I arrived late at night and was let into the building by 2 guests. There was no one else around at that time and there was not front desk or check-in counter. When I asked if I needed to check in, I was told to do it in the morning. The next day no one was around and I had things to do so I went out and didn't come back til late that night. Again there were some guests in the living area and I asked again what I needed to do to check in. I was told to knock on a door, which I did, and received no answer. The morning I was to check out, I went to the washroom and when I came back, my room door was opened and my laptop and passport were gone with a note directing me to the room I had knocked on the night before. The woman who apparently runs the gue
sthouse berated me for 15 minutes without giving me the chance to speak. She called me names and accused me of trying to sneak out without paying (even though I was there to pay her). She threatened to throw my things onto the street if she wasn't paid within an hour and charged me double what was owed in order to get back my laptop and passport. I was reduced to tears, wasn't given any opportunity to explain my situation and was basically thrown out of the hostel. I have never in my life been treated in such a manner by anyone, especially by someone who runs a hospitality business.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Paris, France
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I think the accomodation is cheap and quiet confortable. It's located in the central area. But the manager is unfriendly and strict. There is no curfew but it's not a lively place to stay.
I'll recommend you for the same range of price "Happy Family Hostel" more friendly and lively.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank RichardLR

Travellers are raving about these Taipei hotels

Norfolk
Reviewed 10 January 2011

In fairness to this place, anywhere where you can stay in a single room fo only £13 a night close to a Taipei MRT station, isn't going to be spectacular. There are some very good points. I was warmy welcomed by the manager, who also showed me a map of Taipei and was able to make some good suggestions for places to visit. I also think the general amenities are very good: the communual living room is cosy and comfortable, there is a book area where past visitors leave and swap books to read, and a large TV and DVD player. The kitchen is functional, and there is even a cupboard with shared food that guests are allowed to help themselves to. It's also great to find such a cheap place which provides free internet and wifi- very rare not to be paying extra!
I only have 3 issues with this place. 1) The majority of guests here are actually long-term residents, in someways this is nice as it makes the place feel relaxed; but it can be unerving for people (like myself) only staying a couple of nights as you feel like you're stepping into a shared house rather than a hostel. From the off the short termers don't really fit in like the long termers.
2) Bedrooms: I was booked as a single, but actually given a double for the same price- initially I was quite pleased by this, then I saw the room. The double bed was wedged in so there was literally no space to move around it. The room was also freezing! The window was closed but clearly there was a problem with the seals as there was cold air blowing in all day and night. The website states linen is provided, but this amounts to a bottom sheet and pillowcases only. I was expecting at least a top sheet too! There were two good quality blankets in my room, so without a sleeping bag I had to make do with these which wasn't the greatest (combined with the freezing conditions!) so if you're going to stay here, make sure you take a sleeping bag!
3) The bathrooms: as stated before these are prone to flooding. The showers aren't raised and have no shower curtains so the water goes everywhere. There is a sign asking guests to mop floor after use, but I think I was the only person doing this, as every time I went in there the floor was soaking wet ! The toilets block easily so all toilet paper has to be thrown in the rubbish bin and ventilation is poor.

Summary: much as it would seem the contary, I did like my stay here, it was friendly and close to good transport, but probably better for the long term ex-pat who wants a cheap rental property, rather than people on weekends away. I think I will be trying other places on future trips to Taipei.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Loopy1978
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 February 2009

This place became a home away from home for a week. In a great location, pretty close to all you want in terms of MRT station, proximity to central station (20 minute walk), accessible food. Right near the electronics district. Very casually run, has a mix of semi-permanent residents and backpackers. No curfew, and can get a little rowdy and fun on the weekends. Enjoyed sitting in a stairwell with Taiwan beer and good chats... No problems with security, the rooms were nice. The bathrooms have a tendancy to flood and I got my trousers wet a few times from using the toilet without mopping to floor first. Can recommend the Dante's over the road for fabulous coffee and simple breakfast, and there is a really great dumpling place over the road as well with English menus.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank shmfunk
New York City
Reviewed 10 June 2008

The woman who runs this hostel is nice enough, and she provides a variety of rooms from singles to dorm-style with 4 bunked beds. It's not super clean, but it wasn't super dirty either. It is true, as another reviewer wrote, that it isn't really a hostel, but is instead a large apartment being subletted. But that's part of what one might call its charm: it's almost a like a very dynamic family. Everyone there, from the owner to her Tibetan husband to the guests, was very nice. I ended up making several friends, including one long-term friend, from the people I met there. If you're uptight, sure, go somewhere else. And if the linens were dirty, go right ahead and ask for new ones; I would do the same. But the place worked out very well for me, and I would definitely say that it's probably a good experience for anyone. The place even gets lots of visits from Tibetan monks, who come to visit the owner's husband!

It's right across from a good dumpling chain, and about a 5-10 minute walk from 1) the Taiwan Beer factory on Bade Lu, and 2) the Zhongxiao Xinsheng MRT station. It's also just as close to the Guanghua Computer market, one of the most famous computer markets in Taiwan after the one near Taipei Main Station.

• Liked — Relaxed, friendly atmosphere at cheap prices
  • Disliked — Relative lack of food options nearby, and somewhat subpar accomodations
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vienna
Reviewed 20 February 2007

We planned to stay at World Scholar House in Taipei for a few days in May of 2006. Taipei was part of our round-the-world trip, so we had seen quite a fair share of budget accommodation until we arrived at World Scholar House one afternoon.

Contrary to the impression you get at the hostels website http://worldscholarhouse.com/index.html, this is actually not a hostel, but sort of a completely worn down shared appartment in one of the high - risers of Taipei. All the rooms are completely cramped and stuffy, ours did not even have a window or similar ventilation. The floor was dirty, the bed full of hairs and the linens (we were asked to change them ourselves!) dirty. If that was not bad enough, World Scholar House seems to attract weird foreigners of any kind who like to get drunk at night. We could hardly sleep the one and only night at this horrible place before we fled. You better stay at one of the nice budget hotels close to Taipei Train Station!!!

Stayed May 2006