“Great hotel”

Le Meridien Bangkok
Ranked #11 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Phenomenal city hotel , great staff, beautiful decor ( James dean ) rooms exceptional and even a bar snack overlooking the street was world class. Faultless, it's location is handy for exploring the city and only 45 minutes from the airport.

Room Tip: Be a Starwood preferred guest
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,707)

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed here on spg points and was upgraded to a suite, which was fantastic. The room blocked out all the sounds of the noisy streets below and had dual rain showers.

The staff was wonderful and accommodating from the moment we set foot in the hotel. The concierge Joy provided invaluable input to transportation, routes, appropriate cab fares (it is well accepted that the flat rates offered to travelers by drivers are astronomical, and with meters they can just drive in circles for hours). It's saved us quite a bit of time and money.

The breakfast buffet was really really really good. I say this as someone not easy to impress as I spend about 275 nights a year in hotels.

And lastly, staff was extremely helpful even after an emergency cut our trip short, we flew in from siem reap and they brought our checked bags to the airport to meet us so we could make our connection to the states. Truly above and beyond.

Tips: hotel is very conveniently located to BTS and subway both. Most direct route to BTS is through seedy patpong. If you try to pass around 4:30, the night market construction starts and walking becomes difficult. After the market starts it gets even worse with constant offers of "show". avoid this by exiting the BTS station Sala deng and walking down Thaniya Plaza road to Surawong road and turning left.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I have just stayed 7 nights at this hotel - my 4th stay here over the past few months - and I have no doubts about where I shall stay on my next trip to Bangkok.

It is centrally located, a block away from the Silom Road business strip (where you can catch the Sky Train) and almost directly opposite the Patpong night markets and the associated bars and clubs. Relatively quiet by day, the area is busy and really comes to life at night with tourists and locals alike.

By contrast, the hotel is an oasis of calm in contrast to all the action that is going on out the front and in the immediate area. The entrance and lobby area is visually striking on arrival, chic, modern and minimalist and the welcome and attention from the staff incredibly warm - you know you've arrived somewhere classy and stylish. The lifts play a soundtrack of contemporary music from the past few decades, not horrid muzac that you get assaulted with in other hotels!

The rooms are spacious, comfortable beds, black out blinds if you want them, plenty of bottled water, and funky modern bathrooms, with separate rainwater shower and toilet. The gym is perfectly adequate, a few weight machines, treadmills and cross trainers, looking out on to the pool (approx. 20m), which I have yet to use.

Breakfast is amazing - a bright airy space with full length glass at the front, tables well spaced and the most amazing selection of food on offer - from a range of Thai fresh fruit, cut right in front of you, juices (try the daily fruit shots), salads, hot choices, not just the usual eggs and bacon, but a range of Western and Oriental choices - and a great noodle bar. Great coffee, accompanied by Perrier water.

The best thing about this hotel is the staff - without exception, every trip and every staff member, whether bell boy, concierge, reception desk, breakfast room, gym area or the housekeeping staff (sorry, if I have missed anyone) - always smiling, courteous, friendly and helpful. The concierge team must get asked the same questions dozens of times each day, but they respond with warmth and patience and good humour - in planning a visit to the Royal Palace, I asked the best way to get there, and I was given 2 options, depending upon whether I wanted "convenience" or "experience" - I chose the latter, without regret. Local restaurants recommended, booked and maps drawn to show the way. All very professional, always with a smile.

Lastly, one thing that impressed this trip was security - I came out of my room without my room key, so I asked reception for a replacement key and gave them all my details. She said she believed me, but that she couldn't just give me the replacement key. Rather, the key was given to a staff member who accompanied me to my room and only handed it over to me when I showed him photo evidence that I was who I claimed. Small detail, but reassuring.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Had a great stay recently, room was clean and had plenty of complimentary water, tea and coffee. Automatic black out blinds were a bonus to help us get an excellent nights sleep, very peaceful and the beds the most comfortable we have slept in. Very close to Patpong markets which is an adventure having to haggle over every item. The staff were friendly and helped when needed, English/language barrier was never a problem. We were on the 10th floor and found that the wifi from the reception area still worked, so quite glad we didn't pay the fee to have it in our room!! Would expect wifi to be free at this type of hotel but its not something that would ruin my holiday. Pool was good, with fresh towels and shaded day beds. The gym and spa were excellent, especially the ice cold and scented face cloths in the gym!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I was impressed with this hotel - from the Airport pickup, to checking in up to handling our requests during our stay. Breakfast was superb, lots of items to choose from, the room was spacious enough, bed was comfortable. There was a little hiccup on the shower pressure but nothing to fuss about as it lost the pressure for about 5 seconds during our stay. Being SPG member, we got a room at a higher floor - which has a better view instead of looking at the buildings near the hotel. I am impressed that we don't hear any outside noise even if our room was near the elevator area. The hotel is near Patpong area and also near a BTS station so getting around Bangkok is not a problem.

Room Tip: A room at a higher floor is definitely a plus.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Just stayed from 23-26 Nov 2013. Not only do not have internet access in the room, the TV channels selections are extremely disappointing too. Cannot even catch the English Premier League ! Was also told that the steam room was reserved and could not use it. Is this a 5 star hotel ?? Comparing with the room prices paid per night , it simply is NOT worth it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ronald_thtan
Nick_Zilinski, Director of Sales at Le Meridien Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

May we thank you for staying with us on your most recent visit to Bangkok and for taking the time to write about your experience.

We appreciate your honest feedback and feel sorry that you not much like the choice of our in-room TV channels. Moreover, we are also sorry to learn that you could not have enjoyed our steam room which indeed requires a reservation to ensure a pleasurable treatment.

On the other hand, may I take the opportunity to invite you to visit our web site where attractive room offers including WIFI are on display.Beside of that, we provide to our guest as complimentary internet access throughout the hotel’s public area.

Our entire team truly hope that you will consider to return to us and please feel welcome to contact me directly, so that I can oversee your booking.

With Kind Regards,
Nick Zilinski
Director – Sales + Marketing

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Great Hotel with a lot of hidden surprises in the rooms. The Breakfast was expansive and very tasty. Service had a few rough moments, but overall they tried their hardest to make their guest feel taken care of and welcome.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family