Le Meridien Bangkok
Shangri-La Hotel Bangkok(Bangkok)
US$374
US$295
3,864 results
All reviewslatest recipepatpong night marketround bedchic barcircular bedsurawong roadspg platinumthe red light districtbamboo barcorner roompat pongbreakfast buffetsliding doorsilom areasala daengmodern hotelrain shower
Reviewed 28 June 2009

A great hotel in Bangkok. The architecture is beautiful, the restaurants creative and delicious and the rooms comfortable and modern. All the way around, this hotel supersedes my expectations.

1  Thank Steven S
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Take this review with the appropriate grain of salt, since I was only there for one night and was mainly busy with business meetings. Anyway...

When I first entered the hotel, I thought the chic nightclub ambiance of the lobby was a bit too much for me. But the overall feel of the place did grow on me in my brief time there. Service was excellent in terms of both friendliness and efficiency, including in dealing with a small glitch I'll describe below. I would call the room medium-sized, but certainly adequate and nicely arranged. I stopped by a couple of the restaurants, which definitely fit with the hotel's cool, trendy concept, but didn't dine in them. If I'd had more time, I would have probably had a meal in one take in the scene as well as the food.

Some might love the Potpong location for what it offers; others dislike it for the same reason. I found a middle ground. I took a nice stroll through the area, checked out the stalls and got a kick out of the scene. As a guy wandering down the lanes alone, I was approached a number of times by hawkers trying to get me into clubs and massage parlors. Having lived in Southeast Asia for several years and traveled and worked in it subsequently, I took this in stride and joked with them, which is probably the best way to handle it if you're not interested. I doubt that a couple or a woman would be hassled this way. And of course, the hotel is very close to Potpong but on a different street, so it's not as though you have to stroll through the area.

Anyway, there were some glitches. None a major hassle, but enough so that I just give the place four stars out of five:

1. Apparently, if your laptop automatically connects via wireless to the internet (as mine and I believe many do), it blocks your ethernet connection for five minutes. It took a couple of visits from the helpful IT staff to straighten this out.
2. For each of the few times I was in and out of the room, I had to swipe the contact-less key several times before it would work.
3. My room service meal of salmon, tomato soup and pad thai was uniformly mediocre. (Serves me right for ordering room service when I could have eaten out in Bangkok!)
4. The electronic window shades are a nice touch, but take much longer to open and close than a simple curtain would.
5. No upgrade to a better room as a Hilton Gold. It's not something I have any right to expect, but still worth noting.
6. As others have noted, taxi drivers don't yet know where the hotel is. But if you provide the name, the street that it's on and say Potpong, they'll get you there.
7. No shop in the hotel to get newspapers, magazines, sundries.

It's something of a list, but these were all minor matters for me. I did like the hotel and the staff and would recommend it.

3  Thank Southside
Reviewed 26 June 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights in June 09, in a standard room - which itself was great. The service was exceptional. The rooms are a great size with some lovely detail touches. The pool and spa were fantastic (although note to management - the pool tiles could do with a clean in places). The breakfast was superb with not only a great range but also some exceptional displays of imagination. And overall the decor and ambience create the really wonderful modern, peaceful, minimalist environment. It's location in the heart of Silom was great. Yes...loads of seedy bars surround you - but thats half the fun and its incredibly central and easy to get to everywhere - just a 5 min walk to the skytrain. We've stayed in plenty of very good hotels and this is one of the best we have seen in a very long time. Love it!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Edcomm
Reviewed 24 June 2009

As a relatively frequent traveler to Bangkok (4 to 5 times a year), I always look for quality and value when it comes to hotel accommodation. Conrad and Peninsula fit the bill until I found out about Le Meridien Bangkok (LMBKK) recently climbing to the top spot on Tripadvisor review. That alone was good enough for me to try especially with promotional rates that appeared hard to beat.

1. Lobby: Its ambiance is a mixture of fancy nightclub and star trek movie set with metallic reception desk finish and ultra simple modern design all throughout accented by airy 5 story glass walls. Upon arrival in a hotel limo, I was greeted by friendly staff who already knew my name. A good start.

2. Avantec Suite: Every avantec suite is located at the corner on each floor. It is a conventional floor plan with separate living area and bedroom. Room amenities include espresso machine (nice touch), 5 bottled Evian water per day (complimentary), wi-fi (sweet), Bose radio, iPod interface, dual rollup blinds (day/night), 2 LCD TVs, and Etc.
Room is in impeccable condition with very good sound insulation. Potpong entertainment district is literally steps away but I could not hear a thing from the area. They close at midnight anyway.

3. Bathroom: Largest standing shower booth I have seen with dual rain showerheads on the ceiling side by side. Adequate water pressure. Toilet is tucked in separated by a non-transparent glass door.

4. Fitness center is well equipped. Swimming pool is next to the fitness center on the rooftop of lobby. Nice but not for small kids.

5. Dining:
- Breakfast buffet at Latest Recipe offers good variety. I enjoyed having fresh coconut juice and noodles prepared to order.
- Ribeye steak (THB710), salmon(THB400), and beef salad I had for dinner were all excellent and reasonably priced.
- Bamboo Chic: Impressive surreal interior design. Top notch food presentation. Take someone special with you and you will not disappoint.

6. Service is never intrusive or over-attentive, perfect to my liking.

7. Location: Every single taxi driver I encountered did not know about this hotel. Instead of saying "Longlam Le Meridien (Le Meridien Hotel)" repeatedly, just say "Potpong" and save your energy. Every taxi drive knows where Potpong is from any direction. No exceptions here. As the taxi enters Surawong Rd, just point the hotel on the right that comes visible within seconds directly across from Potpong entrance. If you want to practice Thai, you can also say "Pai Potpong. (Go to Potpong.)", "Yak ja pai Potpong. (I need to go to Potpong.)", or "Pai Potpong ti thanon Surawong. (Go to Potpong on Surawong Rd.)" Surawong is pronounced like 'Sooravong' in Thai. Nearby BTS station is about 5 to 8 minute walk from the hotel.

Is LMBKK is ready to take on those 5 star giants in the city Bangkok? We all know the reputation is built over time with every aspect of hotel operation matured with constant efforts in implementing enhancements. I found minor flaws that are not worth mentioning here. One thing is for certain. It is undoubtedly among the best value in the city. Grabbing the top spot on Tripadvisor review in such a short period of time sums it all up.

My hats off to LMBKK.

6  Thank lax2bkk
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We stayed here on our way out to Austrailia and New Zealand on our honeymoon it was all I had dreamt it would be and we could not have picked a better hotel.
The location was perfect for us and all we wanted to do and they arranged all our trips sightseeing and helped with making reservations for dinner.
The staff could not have been more helpful we will definatly be back
The sky rail was near and shopping a real pleasure
We also had some serious late nights in the bars near by just the best

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple