“modern sleek hotel to remember in bangkok”

Le Meridien Bangkok
Ranked #13 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Stayed for 2 nights in September at Le Meridien Bangkok.

I would like to say straight off that the Vista Plus corner rooms are exceptional and the service is heads and shoulders above any of the hotels we stayed at in Koh Samui. I'm guessing this is partly due to the big city providing better training and grooming in the hospitality sector, but there is no denying Le Meridien Bangkok has high standards that set the bar for all other hotels in it's class.

From the get go, the front counter at check-in provided friendly assistance and support with the added bonus of very good English ability from the staff. The airline had lost one of my bags on my way over to Bangkok from Koh Samui, and not being able to speak the language myself, the front receptionist immediately contacted the airline on my behalf and got to the bottom of the matter. Suffice it to say, my lost bag was miraculously found and delivered from the airport and to our room by early evening. Hallelujah!!

Service was consistently outstanding throughout the hotel; from doorman, to front desk, to housekeeping and hotel spa. All staff were wonderful. The hairdryer in our hotel room started smoking and overheated before shorting out (quite scary) but no sooner was a gentleman from housekeeping in our room replacing the busted hairdryer with a brand new one right out of the box.

The room was modern in design and very pleasant - consistent with the modern art-deco style that hits you as soon as you enter the lobby. After a sojourn of teak-styled villas and island bungalows, It almost felt like we had suddenly stepped into the future. The electronic day/night blinds are cool since you don't have to fuss with curtains that may let sunlight seep through when sleeping. The hi-tech phone is a neat device that is actually convenient and functionally easy to use and not at all gimmicky. It lets you browse and check any messages, instantly dial for services, see weather reports etc. all at your fingertips from a touch screen. I cannot say enough about the cozy king-size bed and pillows, which made it extremely hard for us to finally roll out for a full day tour of the city. The windows are floor to ceiling allowing a great view of Bangkok from above. This is a truly exceptional room for business and holiday travelers alike.

The bathroom is also modern and allows you to watch television on the large flat screen while soaking in the bathtub via a floor to ceiling sliding divider, which opens up the room and since the bathroom is equipped with speakers there is even volume control buttons for the tv by the vanity mirror. The shower is also quite nice with good pressure and a "typhoon" lever, which allows a rain storm to shower down from the ceiling - cool feature. One quibble is that the water tends to leak out so you'll need towels to dry the area off unless you want to walk into a puddle with your socks on. Nonetheless, wonderful fixtures and amenities that allow you to feel right at home.

I can only describe the spa as otherworldly. Taking advantage of the 30% discount during "happy hour", gf and I indulged in 2 hours of pure relaxation and bliss amidst the chaos of Bangkok.

The location, of course, is also very good since you have easy access to every major hub in the city by way of BTS Skytrain and MRT (5-10 min. walk). If you feel like a stroll through the busy city, the hotel is walking distance to interesting areas around Silom and a quick taxi ride to the Riverside. Several convenience stores are also right outside if you need a quick snack or beer run for the in-room fridge. The fridge is packed with various drinks but if you want to save some cash, I recommend emptying it out and filling the fridge with drinks from the convenience store right across the street.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the fantastic breakfast buffet with a great spread that would satisfy the most jaded and finicky foodie. For starters, I simply went nuts over the impressive selection of prosciutto, salami, cheeses and breads. The quality and service of the buffet is without a doubt better than any breakfast buffet you can get at the luxury resorts on Koh Samui or Phuket, bar none. I'd say it's right up there (though more limited in selection) with the finest Las Vegas buffets, including Bellagio.

Other that the hairdryer scare, I honestly cannot think of anything negative to say about Le Meridien Bangkok. Even then, the hotel manager was kind enough to send me a letter apologizing for the incident and personally welcoming us back. Next time we are in Bangkok we will no doubt take him up on the invitation with pleasure. This is truly a modern world class hotel. It's not a 5 star like The Oriental or Four Seasons Bangkok, but then again it doesn't purport to be. Rather, this is simply a fine business class hotel with reasonable prices, impeccable rooms and exceptional hospitality geared toward the smart traveler who knows great value. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hard8

Reviewed 20 October 2009

I have stayed a total of 3 weeks during 3 separate visits to this hotel in 2009, most recently in October. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel for your next visit to Bangkok. I have only written a few reviews, and in Bangkok I previously raved about the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and still feel that hotel is incredible. However, for the price and amenities, it's really hard to beat the value of the Le Meridien Bangkok and this place is now my hotel of choice in this wonderful city - especially with the recession and need to watch every dollar.

BOOKING: The Le Meridien has recently been offering a pre-paid rate of only 3,000 baht a night - less than $100/night. If you look around Bangkok, you will not find a hotel of this caliber offering this kind of rate. It's amazing - a tip - on their website I would play around with the dates you want to stay to try to get this or a similarly low rate. You may also want to call them to see if they'll offer it to you or one of their "buy 2 nights, get 1 free" deals.

PLATINUM FRIENDLY: One of the most Platinum friendly hotels ever - I was pre-upgraded to a beautiful suite and offered complimentary breakfast everyday, free wi-fi, complimentary evening cocktails daily and two items of free pressing. All for the ridiculous 3,000 baht/night rate!

CHECK-IN: When you visit the hotel, you'll be struck by the ambiance - very different - more similar to the trendy W Hotels you see around the world. While other hotels may feel "stuffy", this feels very sleek - an escape from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. The hotel check-in is done with style - with complimentary waffles made fresh in the lobby for you while you are being processed.

THE ROOMS: I'm a bit spoiled as I have only stayed in suites at this hotel, but I have seen even the regular rooms and they are very spacious, modern, and clean. It was like living in the lap of luxury - the blinds are all controlled by switches - something I haven't seen in other hotels. The bathroom and shower area is very unique - you can control the water in the shower to come from the ceiling showerhead or a regular showerhead. The bed was very soft and made it difficult to want to wake up in the morning. The decorations and artwork in the room are impressive. There is an in-room coffee maker stocked with different coffees. Every detail has been attended to in the room - whoever designed it did a great job. Tip: if you have an Ipod, ask the hotel to bring you a cable that you can use to play music from your ipod on the TVs and in the speaker system in the bathroom - there's no charge for it. One complaint: the wi-fi in the room is really poor and it's the one thing this hotel needs to fix - the connection goes in and out too much - this happened consistently during the 3 weeks I stayed in 3 different rooms.

SERVICE: Hands down best service of any hotel -- I felt like I was treated like a celebrity in this hotel. So many of the staff members welcomed me by name - from the doormen to the chefs. English was spoken very well. The staff was always willing to help or get information for me. I'm very impressed by the training of the staff - it's a cut above other places.

HOTEL FACILITIES: Breakfast is great here - many, many choices and the chefs will happily make anything for you. When you enter you are greeted by the staff with your choice of a smoothie shot. The quality of the food is excellent. My one recommendation for the hotel is to offer more fruits (I would extend that to the rooms too - one thing the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit does very well is offer in-room fruit). The gym is very modern - all the equipment you want to use. I did miss the free trainers from the Sheraton, but working out here is still a joy. The pool area looks a bit small, but nice overall. Finally, Bamboo Chic is a good restaurant and the evening cocktail menu has a breadth of choices along with a few complimentary appetizers.

LOCATION: For me, the location was the only issue that took a little warming up since I've always preferred being in the Sukhumvit area. At the Sheraton, you're already connected to the BTS and MRT train systems and in the middle of all the action in Sukhumvit. The Le Meridien is in Silom - about a 7-10 minute walk to the BTS/MRT trains at Sala Daeng where you need to connect at Siam to get to Sukhumvit. Across the hotel is the infamous Patpong night markets. There are some very nice restaurants and massage shops across the hotel. It's a bit annoying to cross the busy street on Surawong but you get used to it. Overall I found the location to be quite fine - a manageable walk to the trains and a bit of a quieter area than Sukhumvit. Tip: When coming back at night to the hotel, make sure you ask the cab to turn on the meter - it should only be about 60-70 baht from the general Sukhumvit area - but cabs often want more, but there's always someone who will agree to the meter. Cabs often don't know where this hotel is, so I would mention "Patpong" and "Surawong"; also grab a hotel card from the front desk that has the information in Thai.

OVERALL: With the new lower prices at this hotel, the value you get at the Le Meridien Bangkok is outstanding and hard to beat. It doesn't have the variety of restaurants (e.g., room service menu lacks breadth) or facilities of a Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit or Four Seasons, but at the Category 3 level in the Starwood system it's the best I've ever seen (and superior to a vast majority of hotels in Categories 4 and 5). Enjoy your stay at this incredible property.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Neil_in_Morristown
Reviewed 19 October 2009

I cannot begin to describe how fabulous this hotel is. We found it through this site actually, and we were not disappointed! To review I will break it down into groups:

Location: The hotel is directly opposite from the infamous Patpong Night Markets. Dont let this put you off though, we never felt unsafe, and as soon as we walked through the doors of the hotel it was like leaving the chaos of Bangkok and entering a sophisticated haven. Taxis often didnt know where the hotel was, but say opposite patpong night markets and they will know (everyone knows where the patpong markets are). Also, ask the hotel for a card to give to taxi drivers - it has their address.

Hotel Building: This is a relatively new hotel in Bangkok and the design is modern and simplistic. There is a fantastic mural on the glass doors - which also helps to block out the street scene and help you relax in the hotel. The breakfast is AMAZING - heaps of variety. You have to try the (cant remember its name) souffle with berries dish - its one you need to order at the egg station. Other highlights were frozen yoghurt, bircher muesli, and a fantastic coconut and green tea brioche. The restaurant is great too - we had a Japanese/Chinese fusion buffet there - which was very sophisticated and delicious too.

Room: The rooms are clean, spacious and with a super comfy bed! Our view was amazing, and the blinds are electric and thick, so they block the morning sun and we slept really well. The bathrooms are clean and modern. Our rooms (we had two) adjoined, I dont know if all rooms do this but we didnt ask for this option, and this was great for us. The rooms open with a swipe card that you hold up to the sensor on the door - these play up a bit but nothing too annoying.

Service: AMAZING. Best service we had ever experienced at a hotel. Everyone was lovely, helpful and spoke excellent English. We could ask anything - fromhow to access free wireless to whether we were dressed appropriately for an expensive restaurant we were going to in town, and always got an informed and friendly answer. This contrasted so much to the other hotel we stayed at during our trip (Katathani in Phuket) where some staff would answer our (probably silly but then we are tourists) questions in a frustrated manner.

NOTE: When getting there from the airport, make the taxi use his meter. Just say "Can you use your meter please". If he refuses, I wouldnt accept anything more than 250 baht to get to the hotel. We got duped and were charged 400 baht - a total rip off. When in Bangkok plenty of taxis will want to make a set price - we found often we had to go with it or we were never going to get a taxi - so we settled generally for 50/60 baht as a flat rate from places like Centralworld Shopping Centre and Suan Lum night Bazaar.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank meliss777
Reviewed 18 October 2009

The hotel is brand new. Rooms are very roomy with plenty of room for 1-2 persons. Location is ideal and service is top notch. There are just few minor things to complain about. Pool is small and sound proofing could be better. If you are a light sleeper and happen to end up in a floor that is not very quiet you will not be able to sleep at all. Outdoor noises are not a problem, but other rooms much more so. Earplugs solved the problem right away.. kind of funny for 5* hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Vesa
Reviewed 16 October 2009

A brand new hotel in downtown bangkok, the decoration is simplistic and trendy. The king size bed is huge, I particularly enjoyed the big glass window / wall which gives nice city view. The bath room is nicely done as well.
Thailand 5-star service can always be expected from friendly and thoughtful staff.
Location is good: easy access to sky train, 5 minutes by taxi to Central World shopping center. Enough massage / spa houses, restaurants, pubs, night market right next to the hotel for tourists to explore.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank YI_IVY
Reviewed 16 October 2009

What a stunning hotel and stunning staff! We would certainly go back there. The hotel is situated across the road from the Patpong district, with the amazing market and nightclubs.
It's safe and comfy. Very artist hotel with wonderful art. Apple computers in the lobby for the guests.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janine B
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We recently travelled to Bangkok for the weekend and we were highly satisfied with this hotel. Location is very good, service is excellent and it is worth mentioning the food: creative, tasty and good value/money. We were offered with a package that included some cocktails in the bar: nice, creative and excellent service. Overall, the hotel is excellent compared to others comparable

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple