“Excellent starting place to commence your backpacking experience!”

Lub d Bangkok Silom
Ranked #16 of 1,347 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Before setting off on our South-East-Asia adventure, my friend and I pre-booked this hostel after the agents at 'STA travel' boasted it as a reputable yet economical stay; they were not wrong.

£15 for two nights per person was not regrettable in the slightest, this is a great starting point for any traveller and it succeeded in putting us on the road for excitement by setting the standards for many more places like this that we would be residing in on the rest of our trip!

Once arriving here in a yellow and green Bangkok 'taxi meter' cab, we were greeted by the young and gregarious staff that helped us settle into our room. For our first pit stop in Asia, we decided to get right into the heart of travelling as backpackers (even though I regrettably bought a bloody suitcase) by pre-booking an 8-bedroom bunkroom. We wanted to socialise immediately with as many other excitable travellers as we could. The room was air-conditioned and the beds were very comfortable and a good size! The vibe was so chilled out and friendly, we met people from all over the world just by staying in one large room, and each person had their own uniqueness and some very interesting stories to share - and some very sage advice was shared on where to go in Bangkok.

The bathrooms are single sex and very large. For all the people who travel hot countries and moan about accommodation not having sufficient hot water, you need not worry here (this is something that puzzles me because whenever I travel hot countries I have only freezing cold showers on a daily basis!)

Downstairs the main foyer acts as reception and the social square, where you can eat and drink at the bar and catch up with family and friends on the free computers (free wifi too). The interior is decorated in a sleek, retro sort of style that compliments the vibrant atmosphere in a unique taste. The staff are always happy to help you with any queries you will have about the seemingly chaotic splendour that is Bangkok! The thing with the staff here is that they seem to actually genuinely care about the travellers well being, which can be quite a rare trait to find in many hostels/hotels in Asia.

There are signs warning travellers of common scams, such as the dangers of tuk-tuk drivers, of whom are notorious for driving you to dodgy jewellery shops to buy counterfeit crap rather than take you to your chosen destination. The staff are also constantly advertising organised events for the guests, such as day trips to places of local interest and wonder, bar crawls and so on. This place definitely captures the social scene.

In terms of location, Lub D is situated in Silom which provides largely as Bangkok's commercial and financial backbone, but many guidebooks insist Silom has some of the best places to shop and eat - now this I can agree with because if you walk out of the hostel and trek for a couple of minutes down some of the winding side streets, you will stumble across some great restaurants and market places - all very cheap indeed. Lub D is also only a 20-minute taxi ride from Khao San Road, the backpackers’ central hub of the city that doesn't seem to sleep.

When we returned from a night out in Khao San Road, we returned to our hostel which we found was still buzzing with social life, people were casually drinking and chatting away - we were invited to join them which we of course did and we ended up drinking the night into the day. When it was finally time to go to bed, we were awoken by the staff receptionist who politely informed us it was time to check out "No check out is at 12" I sleepily mumbled back to her. "It’s 1 o clock though" she replied. I apologised and got my friend out of bed, as we packed our stuff up and proceeded to check out. I was expecting a late check-out fine, but no such fine was imposed - just a smile and a courteous goodbye.

Lub D is Thai for 'sleep well' and I can say with great confidence that I most certainly did!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Peter F

Reviewed 24 September 2013

If Lub d Bangkok is a person, it would be "one hot chick" you will easily fall in love with.The place is posh and fresh.The lobby is big space where travelers could converge and socialize without the restriction of space.

Tastefully interiored and beautifully lighted, it also puts in consideration comfort with enough couches to sit on while either waiting or chatting with fellow backpackers.At first, you would mistake it for an expensive accommodation because of the chick interior.But all this comes at a cheap tag price.If you go for a bunk bed accommodation as we did, you only get to pay 580 pesos per night.

That's roughly $14.
Each bed comes with a safety deposit box to have your valuables secure.
In the room where we stayed, there were 4 bunk beds,meaning, it could accommodate 8pax.The room is clean as well as the bed sheet, blanket and pillow.Restroom is common but also spacious and clean so I never had issues at all.

My friends and I are talkative so it was quite difficult to communicate in sign language but other than that, I have no problem at all.The place is really nice so it's easy to recommend the place to people.It is easy to fall in love with Lub d Bangkok.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed at the Lub D on two different occasions. The first time I stayed there was the first time I had stayed at a hostel and so I wanted to gets feel for the atmosphere. Based on that I booked an ensuite for the first couple of nights for about $50 per night. The overall atmosphere is very hip and is definitely aimed at the young traveler. The ensuites are modern, minimalistic and generally well appointed. The only issue is that they are on the 4th floor and there are no lifts. Sleep quality was good and the bathroom was clean and water pressure excellent. The iPod Dock helps as well. I don't think however the room is worth the money for what I paid per night the solo traveler as you can find better hotels overall (location, breakfast, service) for that price.

The second time I stayed here I decided to stay in one of the dorms and that was quite a different experience. It was a little crammed and the lockers could have been slightly bigger. I slept very little that night thanks to my dorm mates that came in late and at different times.

The staff is very helpful and kind (except for one heavyset gentleman - loud, brash and obnoxious - who needs to be put through some training). They are young and energetic and give very good advice on travel in or outside of Bangkok.

Internet speed is good and the lounge is a fun place to do some surfing while listening to good music and people watch.

Overall a good stay and I would stay here again in the ensuite if I wasn't traveling solo.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2013

the staff here are really helpful and there is a great vibe throughout. The bathrooms are amazing! and the rooms are also really great.
You get key cards for the room and a locker (padlock required) so it feels really secure and safe.
There are 2 7elevens really close by which is really handy, but the hostel bar does sell snacks and water if you come in at a random time wanting something. They also have free tea and coffee.
Across the road is a really amazing noodle restaurant which is really recommended!
It is about a 5 minute walk from the centre of Pat Pong - where the ping pong shows are. There is also a great market and good food around that area too. Close to a train station and about 20 minutes drive from Kaoh San Road.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rosie_92_13
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed for three nights over all. The first dorm room had enough space but there was an awful smell of sewage. The second time we stayed the room was really dark, with no daylight let in and the smell was even worse. That said, the downstairs area is really cool and it's very easy to meet and get to know other travellers. I'd reccomend it for solo travellers but I don't think it was good value for money

Room Tip: Ladies dorms seem nicer
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2013

With activities every evening and a lovely staff, Lub d has a very young feel to it as you see young people milling about, reading, or typing away on laptops in the lobby. With instructions on how to get to the airport to how to get the Siem Reap on the walls, you can tell that they are no strangers to backpackers. We had a private ensuite room which was very spacious and clean. The free WiFi was nice and fast, but it forgets your credentials so you have to log in every time, which was little annoying. Located in Silom, it's very convenient to many places you would want to go in Bangkok.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely hostel/hotel! Stayed for 2 nights and had a private twin room which was really nice. Hostel staff were all very friendly and the facilities were very good! Lovely hot showers and good PCs. Location is decent, however every taxi or tuktuk driver will try and rip you off which gets very annoying. Trying to get anywhere in Bangkok via taxi is hard work to be honest. We preferred to try and get the MRT which works well and has a stop only a 8 minute walk away from the hostel. Thanks Lub D for being the best bit about our stay in Bangkok!

• Stayed: September 2013