“Great”

Ranked #14 of 1,245 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Male
“Great”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

One of the best hostels i've been to. Very clean rooms and bathrooms. Friendly staff. Very convenient location. I stayed only one day there but i enjoyed everything about it. I'm not sure about the private rooms there, but I highly recommend it to anyone who wish to stay in a hostel in bangkok.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 October 2013

It is clean, but I like Siam Lub D better. Compared to Siam, Silom located far from the BTS, the room is a little cramped (when I stayed Silom Lub d was under renovation). The price is cheaper than the Siam Lub D.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank sarahdamai
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I spent two nights there, one night in a single room, and one night in a dorm. Had a really good time. Great communal area where you can enjoy breakfast, snacks and rum. It was the perfect place for me to start my solo journey, as I was able to meet a lot of other solo travelers. Went on a pub-crawl with the staff, and had a good time. I wasn't able to get a bed for my last night in Bangkok, so I slept at another place, but went back to Lub d just to hang out at the bar. Really great place!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Rikus M
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Lub D Silom is a great place to stay, no doubt about it. The staff are friendly, the rooms are super clean, great bathrooms, free & fast wifi, etc.. Probably the best thing about Lub D is the bar area and outdoor terrace. We brought our own beer to save some money (don't know if this is officially allowed or not) and sat there multiple nights drinking and chatting with fellow guests and the staff. We didn't try the evening food, which looked good, but the breakfast was nice enough.

The two things that let this hostel down are firstly the useless travel agents desk located near the bar - don't bother with it - just book your travel elsewhere as they seemed clueless to all our questions. Secondly, it is much more expensive than many other backpackers hostels, despite the fact it is superior - it isn't enough to justify paying almost double. And then you are charged extra to hire a towel!

Overall, would highly recommend if your not on a very tight budget as its a great place to meet other travellers and have a good sleep.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joe-p-01
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I have been to Lub.d hostel , i am very enjoyed my stay in this hotels is very nice , especially the staff is very friendly and professional. The have hosted me very well.WiFi is FREE and GOOD The hostel is located in a very nice area with a lot of nice restaurants and food-stalls.Especially "Grilled pork with sticky rice" ( kao nweao moo ping is highlight ) and "Stir-fired pork neck with Brazil leave " ( Phat ka pao kor mu krop ) thai style

Regarding Lub D, I can advise to everyone visiting Bangkok to stay at LUB D.
I will come back for sure.

Room Tip: they have room with and without connected bathroom
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank TaiViengpheth
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Before setting off on our South-East-Asia adventure, my friend and I pre-booked this hostel after the agents at 'STA travel' boasted it as a reputable yet economical stay; they were not wrong.

£15 for two nights per person was not regrettable in the slightest, this is a great starting point for any traveller and it succeeded in putting us on the road for excitement by setting the standards for many more places like this that we would be residing in on the rest of our trip!

Once arriving here in a yellow and green Bangkok 'taxi meter' cab, we were greeted by the young and gregarious staff that helped us settle into our room. For our first pit stop in Asia, we decided to get right into the heart of travelling as backpackers (even though I regrettably bought a bloody suitcase) by pre-booking an 8-bedroom bunkroom. We wanted to socialise immediately with as many other excitable travellers as we could. The room was air-conditioned and the beds were very comfortable and a good size! The vibe was so chilled out and friendly, we met people from all over the world just by staying in one large room, and each person had their own uniqueness and some very interesting stories to share - and some very sage advice was shared on where to go in Bangkok.

The bathrooms are single sex and very large. For all the people who travel hot countries and moan about accommodation not having sufficient hot water, you need not worry here (this is something that puzzles me because whenever I travel hot countries I have only freezing cold showers on a daily basis!)

Downstairs the main foyer acts as reception and the social square, where you can eat and drink at the bar and catch up with family and friends on the free computers (free wifi too). The interior is decorated in a sleek, retro sort of style that compliments the vibrant atmosphere in a unique taste. The staff are always happy to help you with any queries you will have about the seemingly chaotic splendour that is Bangkok! The thing with the staff here is that they seem to actually genuinely care about the travellers well being, which can be quite a rare trait to find in many hostels/hotels in Asia.

There are signs warning travellers of common scams, such as the dangers of tuk-tuk drivers, of whom are notorious for driving you to dodgy jewellery shops to buy counterfeit crap rather than take you to your chosen destination. The staff are also constantly advertising organised events for the guests, such as day trips to places of local interest and wonder, bar crawls and so on. This place definitely captures the social scene.

In terms of location, Lub D is situated in Silom which provides largely as Bangkok's commercial and financial backbone, but many guidebooks insist Silom has some of the best places to shop and eat - now this I can agree with because if you walk out of the hostel and trek for a couple of minutes down some of the winding side streets, you will stumble across some great restaurants and market places - all very cheap indeed. Lub D is also only a 20-minute taxi ride from Khao San Road, the backpackers’ central hub of the city that doesn't seem to sleep.

When we returned from a night out in Khao San Road, we returned to our hostel which we found was still buzzing with social life, people were casually drinking and chatting away - we were invited to join them which we of course did and we ended up drinking the night into the day. When it was finally time to go to bed, we were awoken by the staff receptionist who politely informed us it was time to check out "No check out is at 12" I sleepily mumbled back to her. "It’s 1 o clock though" she replied. I apologised and got my friend out of bed, as we packed our stuff up and proceeded to check out. I was expecting a late check-out fine, but no such fine was imposed - just a smile and a courteous goodbye.

Lub D is Thai for 'sleep well' and I can say with great confidence that I most certainly did!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Peter F
manila philippines
Reviewed 24 September 2013

If Lub d Bangkok is a person, it would be "one hot chick" you will easily fall in love with.The place is posh and fresh.The lobby is big space where travelers could converge and socialize without the restriction of space.

Tastefully interiored and beautifully lighted, it also puts in consideration comfort with enough couches to sit on while either waiting or chatting with fellow backpackers.At first, you would mistake it for an expensive accommodation because of the chick interior.But all this comes at a cheap tag price.If you go for a bunk bed accommodation as we did, you only get to pay 580 pesos per night.

That's roughly $14.
Each bed comes with a safety deposit box to have your valuables secure.
In the room where we stayed, there were 4 bunk beds,meaning, it could accommodate 8pax.The room is clean as well as the bed sheet, blanket and pillow.Restroom is common but also spacious and clean so I never had issues at all.

My friends and I are talkative so it was quite difficult to communicate in sign language but other than that, I have no problem at all.The place is really nice so it's easy to recommend the place to people.It is easy to fall in love with Lub d Bangkok.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends