Lub d Bangkok Silom
US$138
US$124
US$181
US$172
All reviewssocial hostelbed female dormlaundry roombig lockersdouble roomshared bathroomkhao san roadair conwould definitely stay here againkey cardtravel agenttrain stationmin walksilomcomputersbackpackersbunk
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Its hard to find Lub D in Silom when nobody knows where is the location. It is not so near at the BTS Silom. Its about 3-4km from Silom BTS.

The theme for Lub D hostel is nice, modern, friendly and amazing.
The dorm quite smaller but the price is acceptable.

Wifi very slow and sometimes you will noticed broken connection maybe because too many guest in Lub D.

Overall i will say Okay. :)

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 January 2014

A friend and I stayed at Lub D Silom for 4 nights in the railway twin room which was very tidy, with plug sockets and a light for each bed. The beds were not the most comfy but I still had a good night's sleep every night! The shared bathrooms were very clean and the free WiFi is very fast. Although Lub D is in Silom, it is only about a 20 minute walk to the river where it is possible to get a water taxi to the centre where all the main attractions, such as Temples, are (40 baht one way). Lub D is also very close to the BTS Skytrain, about 5/10 minute walk, which takes you to Siam and other areas. There is also a travel desk in the hostel and the lady is extremely helpful in booking tours. I would recommend the backwaters of Bangkok tour! The staff are incredibly helpful and friendly and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank DanniMo22
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Originally I has booked two nights in Siam branch, but when I realized that there was a huge rally site next to it, I was offered move to Silom branch already beforehand. There's not much to see around it and because it is situated in business district, restaurants are more expensive than those closer to Sala Daeng station (I stayed in Smile Society when I arrived to Bangkok and its location was far better, but there were other problems).

However, the hostel is worth of staying thanks to its extremely helpful and nice staff (who come from different countries), really good facilities and cleanness. Even the cleaners spoke English. I arrived from Ko Tao in the morning and it was lovely that I was allowed to take a shower before I got my room. For my great delight I was also allowed to check in two hours before their official check in time (2pm).

I stayed in 10 bed female dormitory, but there were only four women and me. The spacious room with a big window was on 4th floor. There's no elevator, but as a backpacker I didn't find it as a problem. Bathroom was enormous too, there were enough showers and toilets and water pressure in the showers was something really amazing compared to other hostels I stayed in Thailand. However, the beds here were quite hard and the recommended 25 degrees for AC was too much. 23 was quite optimal.

This was my second time in a Hostelling International hostel, and based on both of my experiences, I really recommend staying in them. Breakfast in Silom was poorer than in New York, but everything else worked exactly as well. Only that the advised 100 mins for tumble dryer is too much especially if you have only den clothes. I used 60 mins for the dryer, but it was enough to destroy my (favorite) bras: they were simple cut off from the middle. I probably shouldn't have put them there.

I had a morning flight back home, and I was really worried about how to get to the airport in time. The staff in the reception kindly helped me to print my boarding pass when I was too tired to get how the system worked (it's simple: just email the document to the staff) and advised me about the best way.

Without advise I would probably have used public transport that was recommended under the protestations (BTS starts working not until 6am which is really weird), and might have had too little time. But I took a taxi and it was a good decision. Just be careful with drivers and don't get in the car if the driver doesn't put the meter on. At 4am it took 3 cars to find an honest driver, and it cost 237 bahts to get to Suvarnhabhumi.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Erika K
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Lub*D Hostel in Bangkok, Thailand

Wonderful, convenient hostel/hotel, a short 10 minute walk from the Chonnosi BTS station in Bangkok. By the way buy the one day pass from the BTS ticket vendor to make it easier on you. The Lub*D has ultra-modern HP computers in the spacious lobby, a cozy café serving light snacks and drinks all day. Upstairs there is a theatre room to play your favorite movies, new laundry machines, and towels can be rented. Paid about $15.00 a day for a cozy dorm room, bring a little light, the space is a bit dark for reading.

The young staff hops around, smiling every ready to help you.

One of the most wonderful gems here is Natalie of the Visit Beyond Company because she knows everything about arranging Asian travel-email at Lubsilom@visitbeyond.com, and can save you a ton of work.

If you’re hungry just go around the corner to the side street to get authentic Thai street food, and avoid the tired Silom village, which is architecturally nice, but a tourist trap. The poor employees are attentive, but looked a little trapped.

I went to see the Sukhothai Traimit Golden Buddha, which is the largest solid gold Buddha image in the world, weighing in a t5.5 tons and worth $46 million. The motorcycle taxi guy assured me when he dropped me off that I was close to the temple-wrong-about 1 hot mile away. Don’t pay him until you see the site!

Also saw the Thai Design Museum nestled incongruously on the 6th floor of the gleaming Emporium Store to view their novel worldwide design ideas. Some of the exhibits were a USB typewriter (I had to explain to the young museum guide how to use the original manual typewriter), the ingenious Japanese facial napkin that allows demure ladies to cover their mouths as the chomp down on hamburgers, and much more. To quote from their brochure, “what relevance will aesthetics have for human creation?” The website is www.tcdc.or.th

On a more serious note, I observed the anti governmental protest involving thousands of patriotic thai of all ages, sexes, and classes. One can only admire their enthusiasm and fervor for the motherland.

The Lub*D is a fantastic, fun place, good people, good times.

Room Tip: Any room is good
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Really enjoyed my time at lub d silom.
I stayed in a 6 bed female dorm, the beds were very big and very comfortable. Each bed had its own power outlet, light, shelf and locker. The WiFi reception in the rooms is excellent. Only downside was this room was on the 4th floor with no lift!
The bathrooms were brilliant very clean very big!
The laundry room is great, can easily get change for this facility at the bar.
Very welcoming reception area and staff! Could not be more helpful!
Common area has computers free to use and free WiFi! Breakfast is good and cheap.
Only a couple of downsides, the tuk til drivers sit right outside the hostel and pester you, although I'm aware that's not really the hostels fault. Second downside is that the drinks prices are quite expensive/ even for water, it is a lot cheaper to use the shop down the road.
Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Female dorms are cheaper than mixed!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo