“Average all over. You can do better in this area for your baht.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of JL Bangkok

JL Bangkok
Ranked #142 of 616 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Average all over. You can do better in this area for your baht.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have stayed in the Ramkhamhaeng area 5 times now, using 4 different hotels. This is more of a guest house really. of the 4, this one ranks the lowest, and is no cheaper, if not more expensive than the others. (see my reviews). We stayed here 6 nights.

I checked out this hotel on my last visit. the rooms they showed me then were certainly NOT the rooms I got this time!

The first room we took was the 900 baht a night room. It smelt awful. It was dark. The furniture worn. The fridge had black mould around the seals. There was no room safe for my passport. We changed rooms in about 5 minutes.

I paid the extra 500 baht (1500 baht a night) and got the larger room. It has a bedroom and a very large lounge type area. It is very basic. Not really worth the money. The annoying thing here was when you took your key out of the power unit and the power tuned off, the fridge also turned off... not good in bangkok heat.

The bed is kind of hard, the shower pressure kind of crummy, the nozzle kept twisting sideways and u had to keep turning it back, the couch was too small. You notice these things over a 6 night stay.

Staff. Friendly... i guess. They never really acknowledged us as we walked through reception so I cannot be 100% sure.

Breakfast: I tried it for one morning. Really, don't bother.

Overall the place is just plain average. Why so many people rate this so highly is a mystery to me.

Pros:
*It is quiet
*has some green patch out the front
* 30 metres to Ramkhamheang road
*close to shopping mall, street markets, movies cinema, food places
* Easy to get taxis and buses

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GosfordMoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Thai first
España
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

As said in the title, this is not a spectacular place. Tha hospital-like rooms are poorly decorated, with run-down furniture, high ceilings crisscrossed by plumbing pipes, average-to-poor bathrooms and bugs -yet those tropical, awestrucking beautiful thailand insects. Beisdes, both the air-conditioning and refrigerator are old as the hills, and the noise they make, especially in the night, close to unbearable. The location of the hotel is rather inconvenient too if you plan to spend your holiday in central Bangkok, it is near to 15km away from Siam Square. The breakfast buffet did not float our boat either.
There are a bunch of good things, though. Not being a touristic place, the surroundings are genuinely thai, with lively markets, inspiring food aroma and even quite a nice boat-taxi pier within a 5-minute walk that will deliver you to Prathunam in 25 minutes, in a quite memorable canal-surfing, sewer-smelling experience (still, worth a try). And avobe all things, the hotel staff are really nice: easy-going, welcoming and warmly helpful people.
If you are on a budget and don't care about long commuting time to the main attractions (traffic in early morning and afternoon is exasperating), this might be a good choice. Nice value for money, after all.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

Stayed 1 night. Lots to walk to that's not touristy. We had to leave really early in the morning - before 6 when breakfast started - and they made us coffee and toast and called us a cab.
Room was clean but completely devoid of any colour or character - not like the photos on their website.
Bathroom was clean although the shower had virtually no pressure. Worst shower I've had so far between Thailand and Cambodia but, I also have not been staying in hostels or guesthouses - only hotels.
Just wanted to be close to the airport and this was perfect.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank aluminum123
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

I might as well have called JL Bangkok "home" as long as I stayed there. From the beginning of November until early December, I shacked up in one of three different rooms on the quiet fourth floor. My reasons for staying so long do not matter -- I just did. What's important to note is that I chose to stay for so long.

The staff is friendly, helpful and, more often than not, fluent in English. On a handful of occasions, someone hailed a taxi for me so I wouldn't be overcharged by some of the city's more unscrupulous workers. Other times, I was given clear directions about how to use public transportation to get to far away places in Bangkok, like Rattanakosin Island and Chatuchak.

The rooms are spacious and air conditioned, both of which I appreciated more than I can put into words. Ramkhamhaeng sits far from most of Bangkok's hotspots, but that shouldn't dissuade you from staying at the JL Bangkok. Getting around the city is easy, though waiting in traffic can be maddening. At night, Ramkhamhaeng bustles. It's a great place to be if you're tired of the glitz, glamour or gaucheness of Sukhumvit and Silom. It's pure Thailand. Expect to be the only Westerner in the area -- soak it up, too, because that won't be the case anywhere else in Bangkok.

A room is expensive compared to hostel dorms with fans on Thanons Charoen Krung and Khao San, but it's still cheap by Western standards. Share a room with someone, and you'll pay no more than 400 baht a night, or roughly $13. If you're staying for a week, treat yourself. It's worth it.

Breakfast at the hotel costs more than I would like it to, a nevertheless affordable 100 baht. The coffee is fresh, too. But if you're going for authenticity, simply step out onto the Ramkhamhaeng sidewalks and you'll find something tasty for cheap.

In any case, I highly suggest The JL Bangkok to anyone who doesn't mind paying a little extra for comfort without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: Any floor would be fine. Occasionally tour buses roll through, staying for a night or two. Otherwise...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Craig S
Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

Properly functioning aircon unit — nice cold air blowing out. The room is clean and you can really get a good night's sleep.

Courteous and efficient staff.

Wi-Fi all right for some of the time, but at peak hours the signal is too weak to be usable.

Not so good is the breakfast. Awful coffee (instant would have been better) and not very tasty food. Room for improvement there.

Room Tip: This is a good hotel but the breakfast is pretty poor. Book a room without breakfast at a lower pric...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissMoonbeam
Miri City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

Want to share few of the funny experiences we had while we were in JL Bangkok. From the suvarnabhumi airport we get a taxi and it was a rainy day. We got a good old cab driver who is friendly and he used highways with less jam. He finally dropped us off in a crowded place where there were contles and oh so many shops, barbeque stalls and ready-to-wears hanging beside the roadside. We were surprised and actually shocked cause it was far different from what we expected. We were told to go farther inside a patio. So we reached the end of the patio and there is a rather beautiful boutique- that is the JL Bangkok, we used the back side of the hotel as entry. The front side is much better. The staff are uber-friendly, foods for the breakfast are yummy- mostly pork (sorry for my muslim friends) But they are also able to serve halal foods. Overall, our stay here is a remarkable experience for a low budget holiday. I would come back here again, for sure.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Barbara Q
Bath UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Lovely friendly hotel with clean rooms and excellent food. Much nicer than the soulless large chains. I would definitely come again

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple