“convenient gueshouse close to BKK” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of JL Bangkok

JL Bangkok
Ranked #105 of 604 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“convenient gueshouse close to BKK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

We stayed here because the flight from the US came in at 11pm, and we planned on flying out again from BKK the next day. A taxi to the gueshouse is about 190B + 50B airport fee. The place is small but clean, and the staff remembers the guests immediately. The beds were hard as rocks, but the pillows were nice. TV had international cable. Free wifi was great. Shower was okay, not great water pressure, but the hot water came on quickly. Air conditioning was strong and quiet. Breakfast is included in the price at the little restaurant next door. You have the choice between an American breakfast, healthy American breakfast and Asian breakfast. We chose the Asian breakfast, and it was great.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mica178

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Thai first
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

Preedha and Julie are the owners of this family run hotel. On my first day Preedha took me to the open food market and showed me how and where to take the canal boat taxi into the center. I highly recommend using this as its an experience in itself and costs less than .50 US. Zipping through the canals of Bangkok with normal Thais on their way to work, you really get a true feeling of Bangkok.

One of the things I liked most was that it was out of all the craziness of the center. You can see and experience where real Thais live and work and not those just geared towards the tourist. You won't get hounded every 2 meters by touts, tuk tuk drivers, massage parlour or bar girls. Coming back to the hotel after spending the day walking around the center, Khao San road etc. is a welcomed relief. The rooms are clean, air conditioned and full WiFi throughout the entire hotel. The restaurant serves good Thai food and delicious iced fruit smoothies. The family and staff are always friendly and give excellent advice on getting around Bangkok and things to see and places to go. I'll definitely be back and its nice to know I've found a pleasant base for future visits to Thailand. Thanks again! David....

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Yankeenohome
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

This is my third time to stay in JL, I highly recommend this hotel and it's restaurant, the building is just finished last year, everything is fresh and clean. The decoration is simple but stylish, makes me feel like home, as an art student, I really like it.

I love the food they made, I have my favorite Thai dishes in Hong Kong, but I couldn't tell their names in either English or Thai. The staffs tried their best to understand what I wanted; after all they made me really tasty food, and exactly what I referred.

The hotel is only 15 minutes away from the airport. It’s also easy to access to the city via boat. I didn’t know about the boat before, but the hotel owner and his wife kindly showed me the way to the pier. It’s an interesting experience to travel on boat in Bangkok; you can enjoy beautiful view and avoid the traffic as well. The sales manager is nice too; he answered my questions patiently in emails, and provided suggestions for my trip. All front staffs can speak English, they are polite and friendly, I am happy that I made some friends there.

The hotel also provides free wi-fi, the connection is amazingly good. I finished my assignment during the trip and sent it to my professor through email. Having free internet access, I think this hotel is perfect for people like me who can’t live without computer. 

There is a night market close to JL, just 2 minutes away. The goods are cheap and quite nice. Also, there’s a big mall close by, you can find MK hotpot restaurant and Big C supermarket there, just the same as the city. So I rather stay in JL, coz I can find similar attractions, but in a much more quiet area.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank janice_lai
Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

I lived in this area for years, years ago. This hotel wasn't there, glad it is now. It is close to Ramkamhaeng Road, so local transport is easy to get. The room is simple, but fine enough. The staff were fantastic, absolutely helpful. Got my 04:30 wake up call even! It isn't close to touristy sites, but there is plenty to see and do nearby. Sidewalk night market is giant. I highly recommend it unless you are into the "bring home a hooker" scene. I don't suggest this place in that case, otherwise very reasonable. A bit hard to find from Ramkamhaeng Road. Just look for a wat (temple) entrance. Ask if the taxi driver hasn't a clue.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevwc
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

stayed here 2 times. clean, new rooms with nice staff and decent buffet breakfast. i would recommend requesting a room not too close to the elevator because othewise you will hear "ding!" every time someone takes the elevator to your floor. it gets annoying late at night. also, you can hear your neighbors but it's not too bad.

the hotel's located on "ramkhamhaeng 23", a side street within walking distance to many clothes/food venders and shops (also a movie theatre nearby). there are 2 malls (with supermarket) and 7-11 in either direction out the main street.

it was a pleasant stay at a very reasonable price; however, if you plan on doing any sightseeing, this hotel is not really close to any attractions. there are many cheap local buses passing through the main street, ramkhamhaeng, but all signs are in thai and the buses take forever getting anywhere. taxi rides aren't any better unless you are into being stuck in bangkok traffic. what you can do to save time is get a taxi ride to the nearest bts skytrain station, Ekkamai (E7), about 20 minutes by taxi (60-90 baht).

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank redeyeblues
Albany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

This small hotel was in an ideal position for me. Being a solo traveller I always felt safe here and it was only a minutes walk to the night markets and 5 minutes either way to the mall or the Big C shopping centre with clothes stalls all along the way. The mall was full of resturant and massage salons along with heaps of shopping and the other side mall was full of designer clothes. There was even KFC and Maccas and a wonderful icecream palour. I spent the last 5 nights of a 5.5 week trip here so just wanted to unwind and this was perfect, I could walk up and have a massage every day if I wanted.
The hotel price includes a small buffet breakfast, has aircon, free wifi and sky tv. there is also a resturant if you wish to eat here. The rooms are cleaned daily and you get 2 complimentary bottles of water daily. The rooms are big, clean and newish as is the rest of the hotel ad the staff speak English. From the airport it is a 15 minute ride by taxi.
Perfect spot if you dont want to be in the middle of Bangkok with all the hustle and bustle but still want to shop and have a selection of eating paces.
This will be my choice hotel for any future visits.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank grinningchook
australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2009

My wife and I recently stayed at the JL Hotel Bangkok. The owners could not possibly do more to make you feel part of the family - we have never had such great attention - nothing, absolutely nothing, was too much for them. My wife does not like hot, spicy food - so they made special foods for her and also stated that if she wanted any meal at all, to let them know in the morning and they would prepare it - and they did at very reasonable prices. The owner ( Peter) and his wife (Julie) also introduced us to all the local fruits ( at no charge)- Peter even walking down the street to get it fresh.Yes, it is situated somewhat out of town but this is far more than compensated by the warmth and service we encountered during our stay - top marks JL and thank you for a fantastic stay

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple