“Excellent hotel”
Review of JL Bangkok

JL Bangkok
Ranked #166 of 733 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 November 2009

The best family-run hotel I have encountered in 45 years of travel throughout Europe, Asia and the United States. Preedha, Julie and their sons set a standard of hospitality which the entire staff seems to enthusiastically support. The multi-national chains should send teams to Bangkok to study how these people run a hotel.

Physical plant: Simply furnished but immaculately clean rooms (maid service every day), modern bath/shower with ample hot water, very effective (and quiet) A/C, cable-TV with a number of international channels, DD phone, new mattresses (firm, but that’s what I like), free Wifi throughout the hotel, refrigerator in room, free bottled water every day. My room was ample (11’ x 18’). Modern elevator.

Services: Very nice hotel restaurant, small but elegantly laid out. Primarily Thai dishes but some Euro-American options if you want a taste of home. English-language newspaper available every morning. Very economical (compared to what I pay in European hotels) laundry service. They provided free airport transfer going and coming.

Location: Excellent for me, as I was there to do a series of guest lectures at Ramkhamhaeng University. It’s in a suburb and thus quite a distance from the major tourist attractions of the central city. This entire area has wall-to-wall shops, so there is no problem in buying anything you want. 2-4 minute walk from shopping centers. Incidentally, these cater to local folks, so prices are substantially below what you would pay in the tourist areas. Three minute walk from mega-mall with upscale shops and stores. Banks and post office within two minutes. On a side street off of Ramkhamhaeng Road, so you aren’t bothered by street noise.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Papa_Sid

Reviewed 11 November 2009

We stayed for 1 night due to the location being close to the airport. We found the service extremely pleasant. the Owner was very nice and accommodating. Very clean, rooms were small but very comfortable and beds were awsome. i would come again and reccommend this to all. Thankyou JL Bangkok. VERY HAPPY!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wilko_john
Reviewed 30 October 2009

I can't recommend this hotel: the rooms and the surrounding are little charming, the location is far from the center and the rooms that I was shown had bad smell and noisy A/C

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank GuyLuxembourg
Reviewed 1 September 2009

On our first trip to Asia we were happy to have chosen this little hotel for our stay in Bangkok. It is situated near a night market and big shopping malls were you won't meet a lot of tourists.
The other guests in the hotel are business men, people connected with the university nearby or tourists like us. We took a comfortable suite for a really good price that came with an en suite bathroom, a bedroom with three large beds , A/C, a telephone, a kitchenette, a minibar, a fridge and a TV set with international channels. Everything was very clean.
The staff, the hotel owner and his family were very helpful. They showed us several possibilities how to get to the centre (by boat - within 20 min, by skytrain - you can take a taxi to the skytrain station, taxies are very cheap, or by bus which takes the longest time). The hotel owner recommended where to take the wonderful relaxing thai massage and foot masage - 5 min walk in one of the shopping malls.
We were extremely touched by the helpfulness of the staff, especially the owners daughter in law who accompanied us to a hospital when one of my daughters got sick - She translated the doctors and all of the staff were really concerned.
Luckily my daughter got well very soon but we are very grateful about how we were treated in this wonderful little hotel.
Next time we surely will stay again at JL Bangkok.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank sinaida
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We stayed here because the flight from the US came in at 11pm, and we planned on flying out again from BKK the next day. A taxi to the gueshouse is about 190B + 50B airport fee. The place is small but clean, and the staff remembers the guests immediately. The beds were hard as rocks, but the pillows were nice. TV had international cable. Free wifi was great. Shower was okay, not great water pressure, but the hot water came on quickly. Air conditioning was strong and quiet. Breakfast is included in the price at the little restaurant next door. You have the choice between an American breakfast, healthy American breakfast and Asian breakfast. We chose the Asian breakfast, and it was great.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mica178
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Preedha and Julie are the owners of this family run hotel. On my first day Preedha took me to the open food market and showed me how and where to take the canal boat taxi into the center. I highly recommend using this as its an experience in itself and costs less than .50 US. Zipping through the canals of Bangkok with normal Thais on their way to work, you really get a true feeling of Bangkok.

One of the things I liked most was that it was out of all the craziness of the center. You can see and experience where real Thais live and work and not those just geared towards the tourist. You won't get hounded every 2 meters by touts, tuk tuk drivers, massage parlour or bar girls. Coming back to the hotel after spending the day walking around the center, Khao San road etc. is a welcomed relief. The rooms are clean, air conditioned and full WiFi throughout the entire hotel. The restaurant serves good Thai food and delicious iced fruit smoothies. The family and staff are always friendly and give excellent advice on getting around Bangkok and things to see and places to go. I'll definitely be back and its nice to know I've found a pleasant base for future visits to Thailand. Thanks again! David....

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Yankeenohome
Reviewed 25 May 2009

This is my third time to stay in JL, I highly recommend this hotel and it's restaurant, the building is just finished last year, everything is fresh and clean. The decoration is simple but stylish, makes me feel like home, as an art student, I really like it.

I love the food they made, I have my favorite Thai dishes in Hong Kong, but I couldn't tell their names in either English or Thai. The staffs tried their best to understand what I wanted; after all they made me really tasty food, and exactly what I referred.

The hotel is only 15 minutes away from the airport. It’s also easy to access to the city via boat. I didn’t know about the boat before, but the hotel owner and his wife kindly showed me the way to the pier. It’s an interesting experience to travel on boat in Bangkok; you can enjoy beautiful view and avoid the traffic as well. The sales manager is nice too; he answered my questions patiently in emails, and provided suggestions for my trip. All front staffs can speak English, they are polite and friendly, I am happy that I made some friends there.

The hotel also provides free wi-fi, the connection is amazingly good. I finished my assignment during the trip and sent it to my professor through email. Having free internet access, I think this hotel is perfect for people like me who can’t live without computer. 

There is a night market close to JL, just 2 minutes away. The goods are cheap and quite nice. Also, there’s a big mall close by, you can find MK hotpot restaurant and Big C supermarket there, just the same as the city. So I rather stay in JL, coz I can find similar attractions, but in a much more quiet area.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends