“Great Hotel”

Ranked #146 of 643 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 4 September 2010

The hotel was excellent in terms of their staff and rooms. My room was cleaned everyday so well you could eat off the floor. The hotel food was very good in the evening but I think the breakfast could be improved. The service is excellent. All staff were very friendly and most willing to assist you from getting you ice to booking tours.

I found the hotel to be convenient for my purposes as I was teaching at Ramgkamhaeng University. Cabs and buses are each to catch. There were two malls both about two blocks going either right or left. Bangkopi Mall was only a 10 min taxi ride.

For the money, this is a great place to stay. Each room has a flat screen TV and a mini-bar.

Although not downtown, I frankly liked the idea of not being in a tourist area of town. Everything was quite close by taxi or bus.

I will be returning to Bangkok in December and I"m staying at the JL.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank bhambetros

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Thai first
England
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Based on the website and the reviews here we booked this hotel for 3 days. Unfortunately the website sets unrealistic expectations - the rooms are clean but basic. Don't expect them to match the photos from the website..! There is tatty furniture but the beds are decent with good duvets.

The staff are helpful, but breakfast is disappointing. Cold buffet omlet, fried egg, noodles or toast. Not up to the standard of most SE Asia hotels in this price range.

I would go somewhere else - value for money this hotel isn't great. Maybe at $15 a night it would be more attractive.

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank KJC1000
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2010

In every aspect, especially the service, the hotel is awesome. People who work here care a lot about how you are and they give you many advices about the places you should go and how to get there. The food is variated in the restaurant. Tidy, clean and close to some good shops. I would definitely come back again....

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank piolincanti
JL-Bangkok, Owner at JL Bangkok, responded to this review, 18 July 2010
Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to hear that you enjoy your stay at JL Bangkok. We have recently rennovated our restaurant and added more choices to our breakfast line. We hope to see you again.
Bangkok
Reviewed 20 March 2010

... with exceptionally nice people, and very close to two universities

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank piolo_10
blue9bkk, Richard U, Guest relations at JL Bangkok, responded to this review, 4 April 2010
Thank you very much for your kind words. I hope you would come back to us again on your next visit.
Honolulu
Reviewed 15 March 2010

. . . but I suspect most travelers want a little more comfort and/or convenience. The room itself was OK for the price, clean and decently furnished. However, the location is far from the main tourist attractions, although fairly close to the airport, and in the midst of a bustling shopping area that caters primarily to Thai people. The hotel is located down a dark alley, which may or may not be safe to walk down at night. The biggest problems I had were the noise at night generated by barking dogs in an adjacent temple and the hallway smoke alarm which went off in the middle of the night more than once (perhaps set off by a smoking guest?). My breakfast, which was acceptable, was from a set menu, not buffet.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Mitch60
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. Please let me assure that JL Bangkok is located in a safe area, close to a vibrant night market and a police station. The area has a very low crime rate.

Occasssionaly, we offer a la carte breakfast to our guests. The meals are freshly prepared and cooked the way you like it.

All your comments have been shared with our senior management.
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 4 March 2010

I was traveling with my mother and sister on this trip and we stayed in Bangkok before moving on to Cambodia. We decided to stay at this hotel reading the reviews online and also I was excited about taking the boat rides into the city center. But we found the hotel to be too far and also being vegetarians it was difficult to find nice restaurants around the hotel. We did use the boat services to get into the city centre on two occasions. It was fun but one of the days it started raining heavily and we were completely drenched. We eventually decided to shift hotels. Our experience overall besides the hotel being far from all the activity was pleasant. The rooms were nice and clean. The staff was also helpful.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Jyotika J
Thank you for your positive feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoy one of the boat trips to Bangkok's central district and that your overall experience was pleasant.

I have passed your comments about the hotel's cleanliness to our staff to keep up the good work.
Alabama
Reviewed 13 February 2010

This was my first trip to Bangkok, so I really didn't know what to expect. I stayed for one month and was surprised at the level of service I received at such a reasonable price! The staff did everything they could to make me feel comfortable and at home. They helped me find my way around town, made reservations and made many recommendations on how to spend my free time. The breakfast was included and very good. I often ate dinner in the hotel (usually around 240 THB) and it was always wonderful. I am looking forward to coming back next year.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business