“Dissappointing”

Cuisines: Italian, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sathorn
Description: A class all its own - La Scala Restaurant in Bangkok is a triumph of innovative interior design paired with classical Italian cuisine, perfectly concocted. Just as the design and decor unite the contemporary with a Thai cultural context, so the cuisine presents pure traditional recipes with unparalleled creative flair. In keeping with the attention to detail that makes La Scala so special, great care has been taken to ensure that the wines present the best choices to match menu selections. Subtle, unobtrusive and yet finely attuned to the rhythms of the day, music at La Scala is perfectly pitched to accompany fine dining.
Los Angeles, California
“Dissappointing”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Came here for a special occasion. We started with two glasses of Prosecco. We ordered: Fra Gras with Mango compos, Risottos with prawns, Lobster Bisque, and Rib Eye.

The goods:
- Lobster bisque was excellent. Since it was split between the two we left wanting more. Our fault.
- Service manager was polite. He came to apologized for the hot dining room. He was sweating while he was explaining it to me. He said the AC is being fixed and should be working in 10 mins.

The bads:
-It was hot in there. It must have been at least 30 Celsius in there. Turn out the AC was down.
- Fra Gras was ok. The mango compos that came with it was too sour. Didn't really tasted the sweetness of mango. If I was in US I can understand but Bangkok has the most delicious mangos here, why didn't I tasted that?
- Glasses were left empty. I feel like I'm at a dimsum restaurant having to looking around for waiter for more water and Prosecco. Once I ordered it took almost 10 mins for it to arrive. So I was left thirty for 30 mins. Unacceptable.
- Risotto flavor was bland, and gummy. If it's serve with prawn I should be able to taste the prawn flavor in risotto, assuming Chef was using Prawn stock. I just tasted Parmesan Cheese. I took two bites and that was enough.
- Rib eye... couldn't tasted the beef. I'm sorry to say this but it tasted like a burger patty. That dish was 2100 Bahts ( $65). I was hungry so feel like I was forcing myself to eat it. I ate 1/3 of it then gave up.

Our bill was 7600 bahts, about $235 US. that's great that he apologized while I'm sweating and eating. But how about comp a a dish, cut the fee by 1/2, something. Talk is cheap, action speaks louder.

I understand how hard it is to run a restaurant. Really I do, I used to have one. But if you're going to charge this price and want to be in the big league then your standard is unacceptable.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Joe2828

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
“Always the best”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Every time I am in Bangkok, I have to stop by and enjoy the delicious food of La Scala. It is so refined that is bordering French rather than purely Italian.

Pizzas are the best you can find anywhere and the chocolate puddings are to die for.

It is not cheap but well worth the experience.

TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at La Scala, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Alexis007,

Thank you very much for your best review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to hear that you have been visiting La Scala every time you were in Bangkok to enjoy our scrumptious Italian food exclusively Pizzas and Chocolate Pudding which were your favourite items.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to La Scala soon.

Antwerp, Belgium
“Perfect Italian food in a heavenly hotel”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

'Cool' inside and agreeable terrace outside. But the most important is the tasty Italian food. We enjoyed the truffle diner. Also the presentation is of high level. Also your eyes like eating.

Visited December 2013
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at La Scala, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear ELJMG,

Thank you very much for your precious review on Trip Advisor.

We are glad that you enjoyed dining at our authentic Italian restaurant “La Scala”. The sophisticated atmosphere of the restaurant with an open kitchen can light up your delicious meal as well as the taste of the food.

We are looking forward to your returning to La Scala in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

The waitresses are attentive, polite and professional. The wine and food menu's have plenty of choice.

We had a couple of pizzas as mains with great red wine and some sorbet for dessert. An amuse bouche arrived before the mains and a complimentary selection of chocolates with limoncello after dessert...

Excellent quality of food and service well worth the price, highly recommend.

Visited January 2014
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at La Scala, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Marcus B,

Thank you very much for your excellent review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to hear that your recent dinner at La Scala went very well and the authentic Italian cuisine paring with the finest wine pleased you so much as well as the excellent service of our attentive staff.

We wish to welcome you back to La Scala in the near future.

Amsterdam
“Better Italian than I get at home!”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Really, the food was delicious! We had the gnocchi, an exquisite Australian steak and a rocket salad. All perfectly executed. Sophisticated Asian decor.

Visited January 2014
TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at La Scala, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Amsterdametje,

Thank you very much for your excellent review for our Italian fine dining restaurant.

We are pleased to hear your positive review on your recent visit at our award-wining La Scala. We will certainly share your delightful comments with La Scala team.

We are looking forward to your returning to La Scala in the future.