“Great base for Old City and Khao San”

Navalai River Resort
Ranked #37 of 1,245 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
“Great base for Old City and Khao San”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Check in was very smooth and the staff were very friendly. I saw some reviews stating the rooms were noisy but this would be the rooms at the front. We had a side room on the 5th floor which was very quiet. Room was very clean and roomy. TV had 5 or 6 international cable channels, tea and coffee, safe and the internet was wi if and it worked well. The beauty of this hotel is the location, within a few hundred yards you have dozens of good bars, cafés and restaurants. Ricky's cafe is close and does great coffee. Would stay again. Also nice small pool on roof with lovely river views.

Room Tip: Choose a side or river view room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smithybangkok

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Navalai River Resort was hands down the best choice we could have made! We had a lot of different side trips planned and had made arrangements to always come back to this hotel. They stored our extra luggage for us (for a very small fee) so that we didn't have to take 2 weeks worth of clothing on a 2 day excursion. The rooms were always clean and ready for us since we needed an extra roll away for our daughter. Full of suggestions for restaurants close by. Walking distance to Khao San Road and a short tuktuk ride to The Grand Palace and other ancient temples. Perfect location and staff was superb! Complimentary breakfast included with american and Thai foods available. Also has restaurant attached which had wonderful dinners and drinks in the evening as well!

Room Tip: We had multiple rooms on different sides of the hotel and had no issue with any of them.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We spent three nights in this hotel...it can be noisy with a nightclub across a busy street on one side and river express boats docking on the other side. But the location for us (we like to walk) couldn't have been better. Our room was clean and the service was good. There is a nice breakfast buffet but they are slow to open so we usually had to wait for breakfast or for particular items...so best to give them a half hour start to set up. The restaurant is good and it is great fun to be able to sit outside on their terrace and watch the boats in the river go by. There is a nice little park with a fort about a block away and, while a bit of a walk, we walked to see the Democracy Monument and Khao San Road from the hotel. We also walked to the National Museum from the hotel. To visit the Grand Palace and Wat Pho and Wat Arun we simply took the express river boat - they have a stop right in front of the hotel. Very convenient. While the hotel has a bit of a bland feel to it in places and can be noisy, it is in a great location for reaching many tourist sights either on foot or by riverboat. I would consider staying there again if we visited Bangkok again. Oh, and it has a lovely little rooftop pool but we never had time to use it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in mid July 2014 with my wife and 3 year old daughter.

The short version - a hotel that could be great, but has a major noise problem you'll want to avoid (we suffered, hence my 2 star rating; I'm not going to pretend it doesn't exist). Ignoring that, it's a 3 star quality hotel that works hard to feel like a 4 star hotel. There's a lot to like.

I'll cover the good stuff first. By far and away its biggest plus is the location. Pier 13 (of the river ferry service) is right outside the hotel. This makes visiting the Grand Palace (Emerald Buddha) and the Reclining Buddha very easy; they're about 5 minutes away on the ferry, at a cost of 15 baht per person (40 pp if you get the tourist boat). Chinatown is maybe 15 minutes away by TukTuk and there's plenty of good restaurants within 5 minutes walk nearby (Hemlock and Cafe Flow were the two we tried).

The interior is in fairly good condition by European standards, with a little wear and tear but nothing I would class as a deal breaker - the shower head kept sliding down, but they fixed it with a zip tie when we complained. The plugs in the sink and the bath were both broken, so water drained very slowly unless you removed the head. But that's about it. Both the room and the bathroom were very clean. The room itself is well appointed with a fridge and tv, and is spacious enough for an extra bed to be set up for our daughter to sleep on.

The staff are very friendly; our daughter was very taken with the school of fish by the lobby and completely unbidden one of the front desk staff came out with the fish food for her to feed them.

The restaurant overlooks the river, there's nothing particularly pretty to look at, but it's a good view. The breakfast is very slightly below average by European standards. The usual stuff is there: toast; a couple of cereals; scrambled egg; fruit; sausages; croissants etc - but oddly no beans, boiled eggs or yoghurt. Certainly good enough for us for a few days.

The swimming pool is on the roof; it's a good size, and has a nice view over Bangkok.

But.

However.

The 10 ton gorilla in the room is the noise level. We had a room facing the street (so looking south east) on the top (5th) floor. Prior to arrival, and again at check in we asked for, and were assured that it was a quiet room. Not the case. There's a bar outside that plays LOUD live music from 8pm till just after midnight. And it's not even good music. One memorable singer was very badly out of tune. It's a particularly terrible form of torture. If you're planning on going out till after midnight, then it won't be a problem, but otherwise it's going to keep you awake. The balcony doors are double glazed, but the sound came right through. Lower rooms were presumably even worse. Rooms on the south west side probably also suffered, though river facing rooms and rooms towards the north or back of the hotel are probably OK.

So would I stay there again? Personally the fact that they tried to pass the room off as quiet has annoyed me enough that I wouldn't go back; but I'd try another hotel in a similar location (e.g. the Riva Sura) as the proximity to the river ferry was excellent and really made the holiday. But if I had to go back to the Navalai, then I'd insist on a room without exposure to the street, and I'd be perfectly happy.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Andrew G
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have stayed here twice now the latest being for two nights the end of May. It's in a good position for sight seeing as the taxi boats stop right outside it and are very cheap .its a 5 minute walk to kho San road and all that has to offer. The staff are welcoming on arrival. I stayed in a city view room on the fourth floor which are slightly cheaper than the river view rooms and couldn't hear any noise from the local bars at night. The room itself was nicely decorated and clean, bed was comfortable. The buffet breakfast had a good selection of Western and Thai food and is of a decent standard. The pool on the top floor is great to cool off in after touring all day.this is a great mid range hotel and would certainly stay whenever I am in Bangkok.

Room Tip: The city view rooms are cheaper, just as nice and I personally couldn't hear any noise from the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Handzyefc
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here again this year for 2 nights prior to flying home.
Again all was great. The situation is its strong point. A short walk gets you to The Grand Palace ( don't forget the long trousers,although if you do you can hire them there for free if that makes sense. Or vendors sell them outside)
Again a short walk gets you to the world famous Khao San Road.
The hotel backs onto the mighty Chaopraya and has its own ferry dock. Pay on the boat and save money. You can get anywhere along the river from here.
Buffet breakfast has a reasonable choice and is nice.
My only disappointment was that the roof top pool area was being renovated but transport to a sister hotel was available.
The staff are helpful and we were able to have a room late on day we went home at a reasonable cost.
I like this place,would stay again and would recommend it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barto X
Rye, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Unfortunately I had only one night at Navalai River Resort (up at 3am for early flight!) but I wish I could have enjoyed another night before flying home. Considering i had been traveling Thailand for 3 weeks on a backpacker budget, Navalai River Resort was a welcome retreat, especially in 37degree Bangkok heat. I had a gorgeous room on the 5th floor and although it was not river view (more $$$$) it suited me perfectly as I loved sitting on my balcony watching Bangkok life go by. The aircon was delicious, bed comfortable, bathroom impeccably clean and the mini bar stocked. The rooftop pool was big with lots of comfy lounges spread about and I enjoyed a welcome swim while a huge storm raced towards Bangkok. I didn't eat at the restaurant but the menu was extensive. All in all I would not hesitate to stay again, very challenging to get out of a comfy bed early hours of the morning but grateful for tea and coffee facilities to enjoy on the balcony before heading to the airport.

Room Tip: A river view room would possibly be a little more quiet as I could hear the nightlife on the street...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo