“Friendly staff!”

Ranked #173 of 1,186 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Stockholm, Sweden
“Friendly staff!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The staff is very helpful and friendly, the rooms are big and clean. The swimming pool, gym, and tennis court are very nice. The fact that the house is located on a quite peaceful and quiet Soi is nice since you get away from the noisy traffic on Isaraphab. Overall, I have been very pleased with Sivalai Place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
sivalaip, Front Office Manager at Sivalai Place, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Value Guest,

I am really sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your positive comments and we really appreciated to read that we have made up to your expectation. Your comment has been shared among our team to ensure we will continue delivering good service to all guest.

We are looking forward for your future return. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us anytime if we can be further assistance.

Front Office Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed at Sivalai Place for approximately 5 months as part of my study abroad program in Bangkok.

In an absolute sense Sivalai is ok, rooms are decent, the gym is well-equipped and many Europeans are used to stay there.
However, when you start analyzing Sivalai in a relative sense by comparing with other options, you quickly realize that it is a very poor choice for travelers as well as for students. I would like to point out 3 BIG issues that people NEED to be aware of**:

1) Terrible location: Sivalai Place is located around 8 to 10 min from the main road, i.e. Itsaraphap, which is in itself very far from everything including the BTS and MRT (Public Transportation). It very frequently happened that the taxi drivers did not want to take me or my friends because of the bad location. Consequently overpaying for the taxi to be able to come back home is very common.
Forget about easily accessible nice restaurants and great shops, Sivalai Place is far from everything. I would say that the location is pretty terrible for Thammasat students as well given that you still need 30 - 45 min to reach Tha Prachan campus (This is the same length of time as if you were living in Silom area, which is much closer to the center and its attractions).

2) Poor services: They don’t provide you with anything when you move in, e.g. Bed Sheet, Towel, Water, Soap, Toilet Paper, which is quite a shame for a “serviced” apartment. I do not remember any other hotels or serviced apartments that did not provide me with Bed Sheet and Towels. The restaurant, i.e. “Little Chef”, proposes bad quality food besides an excessively slow service. Moreover, I agree with a previous comment that pointed out the guest/registration policy. Sivalai Place is a “serviced” apartment that offers Student Hostel rules and this is simply inconsistent.

3) Significantly overpriced: Considering the points aforesaid, you will still pay 15, 000 – 16,000 THB/Month for a one bedroom apartment (even including a discount for students), which is equal to or greater than the amount of money you can spend for a very nice room in a great location with much better facilities and a nicer living environment. Besides, the cleaning services are not included in the price and cost 300 THB (9 USD) for one hour. Moreover, you have to take into account the electricity fees, which surprisingly tend to reach 2000THB/Month if you use the air conditioning around 8/10 hours a day.

To put in a nutshell, Sivalai Place needs both SIGNIFICANT improvements to justify the price it currently charges and a lower price to justify its terrible location.

I give Sivalai Place a grade of 1/5 only because of the very nice people I met there during my stay.

**This review is based on my experience at Sivalai, the research I made about Hotels, condominium and serviced apartments in Bangkok and the discussions I had with local people.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ShantiA0
sivalaip, Guest Relations Manager at Sivalai Place, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for your candid review of your recent stay. We are glad to hear that you were satisfied with the general staff attention, the room and gym facilities. We would like to thank you for your business and support, especially as you had the option to move out after the first 3 months contract ended but as you chose to stay until your semester was over.

From reading your valued review, we are sad that you were not happy. Constructive criticism helps us identify problems and make adjustments. However, there are some facts we would like to clarify.

First the location: Sivalai Place is located in the Thonburi area. It is an old part of town important to the history of Bangkok. Sivalai Place is close to the cultural and sightseeing areas ie: the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, the Temple of Dawn and many temples along the river.

Situated in a quiet neighborhood, which gives us privacy away from buzzing Bangkok. Some residents say it is about 5 min walk to Isaraphab rd. Wong Wien Yai BTS is about 15-25 min away by taxi. A walk to Temple of Dawn or WaT Arun is 20 min away. We are also close to the Chao Praya River and its piers. Travelers can take the ferry and the boat as another option for transportation. This is the local life many travelers want to see and experience. We also provide bicycles for the residents to use at no cost.

We have hosted many Thammasat students since 2007. Thammasat is not anywhere near the BTS or MRT because it is located in the old part of the city. We are not in Silom area and therefore it is not a useful comparison, however, we are closer to Thammasat University than apartments in Silom area otherwise most students would be living there. A fully furnished one bedroom place at Sivalai Place is spacious at about 50-60 sqm. For the same price, a one bedroom place in Silom would be a lot smaller.

We are not a service apartment. We provide fully furnished apartment and you were aware of the rates, as we had sent you a quotation prior to you moving-in. We also have hotel rates where we supply the bedsheets, towels and all other conveniences for short term rental like how we were on Agoda.com, Booking.com, Hostelworld.com, Hostelbookers.com and so on.

The guest/registration policy is for the safety of the residents. We are living as a community and safety is one of our main concerns. The cleaning service is flat rate and not by the hour. The housekeeping usually take about 1.30 – 2 hr to clean room depends on the rooms' conditions.

There are many reasons why taxi drivers don't want to take passenger. They may not know the way and they do not want to lose face. It is quite normal that the taxi drivers do not speak English and communication is a problem. They pick up foreigners thinking that they can get an extra ‘no meter’ fare to finish off their shift. After clubbing at night from Sukhumvit and RCA, taxis often only go on a ‘flat rate’ and that is typical in that area with tourists.

However, we regret that you are not satisfied and thank you for giving us the opportunity to clarify those points.

Thanks you,
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Loved staying here, amazing apartment. If you needed a taxi the security guard would go get one from the street, However taxis couldn't find it and tried to rip you off upon return. Huge room with kitchen area. Nice pool and restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

sivalaip, Front Office Manager at Sivalai Place, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear Value Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments. Your comment has been shared among our team to ensure we will continue delivering good service to all guest.

I am pleased to read that you had enjoyed the convenience of our services. Thank you once again for sharing your feedback.

We are looking forward for your future return. Please do not hesitate to contact us anytime if we can be further assistance.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We arrived to Sivalai without expecting too much, and it exceeded our expectations. Much better than other hotels in BKK for the same price. It is much more than a room: with cooking facilities and a living room, and also a great view, specially at night. Quiet neighbourhood but still very close to the attractions. HIghly reccommended, grat value for money :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
sivalaip, Front Office Manager at Sivalai Place, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Value Guest,

I am really sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your stay with us. Thank you for sharing with us the experienced of your stay and for choosing Sivalai Place for your holiday. We are happy to read your positive comment and your comment has been shared among our team to ensure we will continue delivering good service to all guest.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We enjoyed a very nice stay in Sivalai. It has the best of an hotel and the best of an appartment!. Staff is hugely helpful, rooms are large and quiet. It even offers a large swimming pool and tennis facilities. It is hard to find something negative to stay....we sometimes experienced difficulty in finding transport to get to the place: taxis don't always want to go that far out from the center...I recomend it wholeheartedly

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DominiqueBourguignon
sivalaip, Front Office Manager at Sivalai Place, responded to this review, 8 September 2013

Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I have stayed here on numerus occaisons whilst visiting my girlfriend who lives nearby.I have always found it a true home from home.I enjoy their facilities,the swimming pool,gym and restaurant[good food great value].The staff are always obliging and friendly,and you always feel very safe and secure in the building.Even the surrounding area is secure.There is a security guard further up the road.Every time I have stayed here I have never had any cause for complaint,and I have always left there with a hint of sadness that I wasn't able to stay there for longer.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nigel F
Dear K.Nigel F,

Thank you for your recent stay at Sivalai Place. We hope that your stay was pleasant and that our accommodations and services were acceptable to you.

Please let us know if there's any ways that we might make improvements in the accommodations and services for our guests.

With Best Regards,

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Everything was fine as I moved in, but it was getting worst. I have so many terrible experiences with the staff and management.

1) I felt monitored all the time. Register for everything pool, sauna, fitness. But this is still ok, but also my friends had to register as they came over and had to give them their ID. After it, we had to go to the management to pick it up. What's the reason for this? I can tell u: They wanne know who u bring over, but this is none of their business.

2) The way how they treat friends and family member is quite unfriendly and they don't show any respect. They looked at them just like strangers. Maybe because they couldn't charge them. I stayed for weeks at friends' condos and I was treated so fair and even got keys for the apartment without any additional fees.

2.1) Therefore, invasion of privacy in a really bad way.

3) There are so many employees but nobody acts professional or on behalf of the customers. Surfing in the internet but instructing you to clean up like a teenager.

4) Pool usage not possible after 10am cuz they open it for the whole neighborhood. Hence it is so packed the whole day and the water is getting dirty pretty fast.

5) They promote their beverages prices as "retail prices". Maybe someone should tell them that they charge +25% to local supermarkets. Thanks for jerking us around.

Recommendation: Guys, have a look what they charge and what they offer. Sivalais price-performance rate is poor. The condo market in BKK is high competitive and u will find better places for less money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Wayne B
sivalaip, Manager at Sivalai Place, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Guest,

It is sad to see how frustrated you are from what you have shared. The review should be truthful. It is unkind to give out wrong information to other people.

First, we asked for the residents to sign-in for the use of swimming pool & fitness room because people left their items behind ie ipod, iphone, mobile, books gym equipment etc. There is not register for the sauna. For family or friends of residents, they need to register and that is the policy. Policies are different from place to place & from one country to another. The reason that your friend need to pick up the ID in the morning is because they arrived late at night and the office is closed.

Second, It is not in our intention to be rude to the residents who are our customers. If you can give me the name of people who have been treated in a bad way. We can write them and apologize. You also have forgot to write that that the additional fee is the key deposit. Once you left the check-out the money will be return to you.

Third, I'm not sure of the point you want to make.

Forth, The pool is open from 9am to 9pm. It is pretty empty during the week days. It get busy in the evening because Thais do not like the sun. It is busy in the weekend which is from 2-3pm onwards.

Fifth, We have never mark up the price to +25%.

There are many apartment out there which you could have moved still you have stayed. I feel sad for your frustration. It reminded me of you admitted after creating a long story that you stole the code to enter the premises.

If you are giving out the right information, I would have appreciated and accept it. I will use your input to make Sivalai Place better in the future. Good luck and all the best.

Best regards,