“First Rate Issan Dining” 5 of 5 bubbles

Vientiane Kitchen
Ranked #866 of 10,626 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New Orleans, Louisiana
“First Rate Issan Dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I am amazed at the negative remarks of some reviewers. Particularly the complaints of this being overpriced. I just had dinner at Vientiane Kitchen. I stuck to Issan specialties, som tam and larb. Actually the menu has a full double-column page on papaya salads alone, but I stuck with the basic som tam with dried shrimp and peanuts. The som tam was quite good. So was the larb, and the dishes were accompanied not only by fresh cabbage but with a plateful of fragrant herbs, mints, basils etc., which added immeasurably to the enjoyment of the meal. I had sticky rice as a side, and ordered bottled water as well as a coconut juice which arrived as it should, in the just-opened coconut. During dinner we were entertained by live music, a group combining traditional and western instruments, with music ranging from traditional to modern pop. Their singer is great. And they had three lovely ladies in traditional costume doing Thai dancing. Great food; great show. Service was attentive, manager personally came over and talked to me before I left.

They may have, as other reviewers complain bitterly, have added the service charge and VAT instead of including it in the menu price. I'm not bothered. My total bill came to 410 baht: about US $13.50. Multi-course, very good dinner and a great floor show for under $14. Are you kidding me? The pricing was comparable to, or less than, many other restaurants I've been to in Thailand.

The restaurant has an open air feel due to the street approach and lofty ceiling. The only quibble I have is that the menu does not transliterate the Thai names of the dishes, instead naming each of in Thai alphabet, English translation, and calligraphy. So you won't find the names "som tam" or "larb" on the menu. You will find "papaya salad" and "minced pork or chicken" on the menu instead. If you only know what you want by its Thai name, and cannot read Thai, the waitress may need to find it for you.

Other than that slight quibble I was impressed by the food, service, ambiance and entertainment. The location is pretty convenient to, just around the corner from the Thong Lo skytrain station. The walk was about 2 or 3 minutes.

As for this being a "tourist trap", to the best of my knowledge I was the only foreigner in the place; all the other diners seemed to be Thais. If you go to this restaurant, however, while I'm in town, the odds are you will see at least one other tourist, because I'm certainly going back.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Vincent M

• Korean first
  • Thai first
“Don't like to be cheated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

It has been the second time in this restaurant, the second birthday I celebrate there and it's really ok: the food is good (but not special), there is live music, the atmosphere is great. You pay quite an high price maybe because of the live music and good service and that is ok too. What is not ok is to get a bill far higher that it should be. I could not react as my girlfriend payed for the occasion but after seeing the amount I asked her to think about our consummation and neither of us could understand why four people had to pay 4'800 THB. I have eaten like a king in many restaurant in and outside BK and never paid such an amount. That ruined my mood and made me feel again you cannot just trust everybody when it comes to pay a bill. They are not the only one. So for me means "never again", for you means keep an eye on your bill and don't let them show you the worst face of BK.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank David S
Bangkok, Thailand
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

After reading a number of less than flattering reviews my expectations were not to high. But I was pleasantly surprised.

Crispy pork, crispy fish and Keo Neow were all nice. My wife and her five girlfriends ordered all sorts of stuff that my stomach is not yet ready for - so its difficult for me to comment on how good it was - but it all went fairly quickly so I guess that says enough?

Ants Egg Soup, Som Tam, Nam Prik and various other smelly & spicy dished were all consumed with much enthusiasm as usual.

And the band was good ! I'm usually anti music in restaurants and reading previous reviewers slate the live music I was apprehensive to say the least. But the volume wasn't to loud and the songs were melodic and played very professionally. The tall skinny girl lead vocalist was particularly good.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Andy G
hongkong
“My favorite Issan food restaurant in Bangkok”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is an ahthentic Issan (Northeastern Thai) dining experience with music and dance at night. It is spicy. I have been here many times and probably tried the entire menu. I still like the Som Tam papaya salad and Kob Mu Yang (BBQ pork neck) with sticky rice the best. Generally, this is closer to a street food place. While I am a wine guy, this the place for beer.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank johnslin
Bangkok, Thailand
“Excellent Food as Always”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I have bee a regular to Vientiane Kitchen for quite some years now and I can say that the food and service are exceptional. The variety of different things on the menu are giving dinners to really enjoy quality Lao and Irsan food in a very freindly atmosphere.
The Show is great and always enjoyable.