“Fantastic Location”

Ranked #46 of 643 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Surrey England
“Fantastic Location”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

This hotel is situated just a short walk from the MBK shopping centre, Siam BTS station and Jim Thompson House.
The hotel is very clean and the rooms are huge. Each room has its own fridge and sink. The rooms are a bit dated and the furniture and bathrooms really need updating but they are OK.
The staff were very helpful and friendly.
A standard room with breakfast cost 1200 Bhat which is pretty good for the location. Breakfast on the first morning was not so good. The staff just seemed to be disorganised. On the next couple of days it was fine and there seemed to be another member of staff on duty who knew what they were doing.

Room Tip: Standard rooms overlook a central atrium. Deluxe rooms have external windows but cost a bit more
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Silverpablito

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I have often stayed at Patumwan House during the past six years. It is my "Bangkok Home" away from home. On this occasion I booked a twin room for a friend and myself and another room for my daughter who had just flown in from Vietnam, exhausted.

The reception staff were as welcoming as always and advised that a "breakfast buffet" has now been included in the slightly higher price of rooms. Since my friend does not eat soi food, this seemed a good option. It wasn't! The American (only) breakfast was adequate but the kitchen staff (one girl only) was very slow in making poached eggs or replenishing the cereal and drinks. So breakfast was bland and slow. How I wished for the soi food!

Guests at breakfast were all very friendly, and from interesting places. I met some charming people with sympathetic interests and outlooks.

The rooms are cool, spacious, quiet, clean. Beds are hard-ish but comfortable. Linen is clean. Showers need to be relocated to a higher point on the bathroom wall to allow guests a "hands-free" shower. Security at this hotel is excellent.

This hotel is a tranquil oasis within easy walking distance of Siam Square and National Stadium, Siam, and Ratchathewi BTS stations. It is also very close to the klong that has a water-taxi service to Pratunam.

Room Tip: If you value natural light, ask for a room with window on the outside wall of the building
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Marie B
Patumwan_House, General Manager at Patumwan House, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Thank you for the great review. We are proud and delighted that you have chosen us over the past six years.

Regarding the buffet breakfast, it was a new addition that we wish to offer to our wonderful guests before they leave our place with quality food, drinks and fresh fruits. It has been only a month, so we apologize for the lack of expertise. There may be some other lackings that we need to rectify and in the future, we shall try to do even better, so that you can enjoy the services of our hearts.

We truly thank you for the comment about our low shower hanging point. We will try to improve that and relocate it.

Patumwan House would like to thank you so very much for your trust in choosing our service. Let us be serving you again next time you visit Bangkok.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed at Patumwan House for a little over a month on a recent business trip to Bangkok. Patumwan house is set up as a serviced apartment for long term stays. However, they take daily and weekly guests as well. The hotel is located at the end of Soi Kasemsam 1, which is a short one-lane road with many small hotels and guest houses near the National Stadium BTS station and across from the MBK shopping center. Siam Square is just a short walk away. I always stay somewhere along this little road when I come to Bangkok and Patumwan house is in the quietest location on the street.

The hotel has interior rooms that look out onto a central atrium that is a bit dark, and if there were guests across the way, it would be easy to see into each other's rooms at night if the curtains were open and the lights on. On the plus side, these rooms do not get direct sunlight so they stay relatively cool during the day even when the AC is off. Another plus is that you can leave the AC on if you leave the room for a short time, unlike many hotels where you need your key planted in a little receptacle in order to run the AC. Patumwan House also has outside rooms that are a bit more expensive (maybe 200 baht more). Some of these probably overlook the canal that runs behind the building, but I didn't ask to see these rooms. Prices were 1000 baht per night for the inside rooms when I arrived, but have since been raised to 1200 baht. The price does not include breakfast, but does include a medium-size refrigerator, a spacious room, and VERY clean facility. There is a decent restaurant with breakfast choices for around 50-80 baht. The laundry service on-site costs 50 baht per kilo and will finish your laundry overnight.

I normally stay at the Reno Hotel just up the street, but found this hotel to be a little less expensive with rooms that are noticeably larger and nicer. Reno Hotel is 1280 baht per night including breakfast but with no refrigerator. It is 1420 baht per night with refrigerator. Unlike the Reno Hotel, Patumwan House does not have a pool, and the rooms also do not have a safety box for storing passports etc. But the rooms stay cooler during the day, and there is less traffic noise in the mornings. There is also free Wi-Fi which works reasonably well, whereas at the Reno (at least as of summer 2011) you had to purchase Wi-Fi access for about 50 baht per hour. Finally, Patumwan House has fewer TV channels, but some of them are better. For example, Patumwan House has two HBO channels and CNN, which the Reno Hotel did not have in 2011, but Reno has several English language news channels from various Asian countries as well as one from Australia. Unlike the Reno Hotel, Patumwan House also does not accept credit cards or even Thai bank cards. I will stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Gaelyn
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 8 August 2012

For the price, size, and stated amenities, Patumwan is one of the best buys in Bangkok. That said, no two stays are alike. In some rooms, the beds are good; in others, the beds are not. In some rooms the air con is great; in others, it hardly works. It's never ever the same stay twice, and one outstanding stay can be followed a week later by a stay that makes one consider never staying there again. It's not that that I've ever been angry or upset with the Patumwan, but when it's comfortable, it's a fantastic value, and when it's not, I simply would prefer to pay more for a better and more consistent experience.

I tend to be a fan of the Patumwan, perhaps because of a throwback to the backpacker in me (although this is not a backpacker hotel). I can be adaptive. That said, as I get older, I need my sleep and a reliable and comfortable place to stay, and this isn't always that. There are a number of rooms -- probably the majority -- that are taken by longer-term tenants, so the availability varies widely. I've never had a problem reserving a room, but then again, I book in advance. Arriving without a reservation can be hit or miss. Also -- I must warn the reader -- that they sometimes make mistakes with reservations. They take the reservations down, but then fail to book it out. This has happened to me more than once, but fortunately I've caught the error in advance -- always stopping by in person when I know I'll be staying there at a later date -- to make sure that my email or phone reservation was, in fact, put on the calendar. Lightening has struck the same place more than twice in this respect. There is a better-than-passing chance that one's reservation won't be properly booked. It's not 50/50, but it's also not a 1-in-100 event either. I'd say it happens a good 20-25% of the time. I once stopped by while in Bangkok to check on two different friends' reservations, both of whom booked at the same time. They had one reservation booked but not the other.

Keep in mind that because the Patumwan caters to a long-term client, this isn't the place to give you advice about sights to see or places to go. They don't generally have information about tours (and I don't go on any tours anyway) and aren't super great about knowing specialty places (bars, restaurants, etc) that might appeal to a foreigner. I once surprised a girlfriend with a stay at a famous five-star hotel for her birthday, and I wanted them to write in Thai the name and address of the hotel -- so that my American girlfriend wouldn't be able to read it -- that anybody in the hospitality business would have known. They had never heard of it. It would be like a concierge at a small hotel in New York not knowing about the Marriott in Times Square or the W Hotel near Wall Street (hard to imagine). They were more than willing to help, but their help was, in this case, useless. What they were helpful in doing, however, is to get us "thrown out" of the hotel due to a feigned overbooking so that I could surprise my girlfriend with this luxury 5-star hotel on the river. It was one of my greatest coups ever, and I couldn't have done it without their gracious help.

With all of my reservations about the Patumwan, why do I give it four stars? Because for what it is, it's great. It's great value with some lovely people working the desk (the man is always grumpy), but you have to be willing to anticipate their shortcomings and go with the flow. That said, I don't always stay at the Patumwan when I come to Bangkok, particularly if I'm arriving late and I don't want to chance them screwing up the reservation. I might book a stay while I'm already in Bangkok for a later date when I'll return. In fact, despite that my girlfriend and I transited through Bangkok several times during our trip to Thailand, we opted to stay elsewhere to guarantee our comfort. That's a nice thing about Bangkok: one can always find a quality hotel -- and sometimes a luxury hotel -- for reasonable prices in one searches. It's not the 1000-1500 baht room that the Patumwan offers. Rather it might be 2000-3500 baht, but by our Western standards, it's quite reasonable.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SalsaB
Koh Lanta
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Great quiet hotel 5 mins walking distance to MBK and skytrain.I stayed in a grotty backpackers hostel on the first night for 600THB and regreted it so I walked a bit further up Soi Kasem to find this good hotel for 1000THB a night. Big room, huge bed, AC, cable TV, Balcony, clean, lots of hot water, bedside light, phone, fridge, electrical sockets in sensible places and friendly staff. Altogether great value for being so close to Siam Square.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adzbutler
Toowoomba
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This is an older hotel, which is undergoing some renovations in their lobby.
The rooms are spacious & clean with good airconditioning & refrigerator but not kitchen utensils.
Staff & service very good. Located at the end of a quiet cul-d-sac, it is only a short walk to National Station BTS, Siam Square & MBK. Short taxi ride to Platinum & Pratunum.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Helen H
Singapore
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Value for $$, good location, nice service. And there is WIFI!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends