“Love the location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 606 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Singapore
“Love the location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

The four of us stayed in a really huge 2 bedroom suite with very comfortable beds. The suite was somewhat dated and fairly clean, definitely not for those who want high class living. We love the space and the free bottled drinks provided daily. One of the bathrooms did not have a shower head holder, and the water was either hot or cold, never balanced. I had to keep adjusting the water temperature every 10 seconds, thus it was a rather unpleasant experience. The other bathroom provided only lukewarm water. There was strong wifi in our living room, but it went weak in our bedrooms.

The breakfast was limited but was really not bad. We enjoyed it. Though the replenishing of the food was fast, the amount was small. The noodles were gone by the time it reached the 4th person in queue. What ruined my impression of the hotel was the breakfast staff (with the apron). I think she mistook me for a Thai, and spoke Thai to me insistently when I asked her a simple question. Or maybe she couldn't speak English. It could have taken her 5 seconds to move her butt out of the counter to show me what she meant but it took her 60 seconds to communicate with me in Thai and we both ended up frustrated.

Hotel staff was kind to help us get a cab to the airport and also specifically asked for a metered cab on our behalf - twice. Unfortunately, many cab drivers there are not honest and don't turn on their meter once tourists get on their cabs. We gave the driver less than what he asked for and walked off.

Overall, it's value for money for this hotel. There are very little facilities in there. Only suitable for those who don't stay in the room most of the time, but want an extremely convenient and full experience at Siam.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank broadshouldersgal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Vietnamese first
Phnum Pénh, Phnum Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Good area only ! Bath very dirty
Service very bad but for 1300 bahts what do u want more ?
And for breakfast if u give that to my dog i think he dont eat more then one Time
If u want just sleep cheap and want shopping around hère it´s good place dont have to take taxi
U can walk easy

• Stayed August 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I previously reviewed this hotel last summer (2012) and have stayed there three times since then. I still think this is a great hotel, but a few details have changed in the past year. Prices are rising along this street. At least three hotels have raised prices that I know of over the past year (Reno, Muangpol, and Pathumwan). As of July 15, the cheapest room at Pathumwan will be 1400 baht. A buffet breakfast is now included. The rooms I have stayed in over the past year have all required me to place the key in a slot to run the A/C and lights. That was not the case in the room I had a year ago. The desk clerk told me that utility prices have been rising, which probably explains both this change and the rising room rates. The hotel also requires a deposit on the room in addition to the room fee. I read somewhere that the deposit is 1000 baht, but I was only asked to pay 500. It might depend on the type of room.

I find the staff here to be very friendly and helpful. They allowed me to store my luggage for up to a month for just 100 baht per piece. On another trip, my wife and I needed to send some luggage ahead to Chiang Mai and one of the desk agents suggested a nearby post office, then wrote down our request in Thai. The parking attendant flagged a taxi for us and told the driver where to take us. Most of the other hotels in this price range do not flag taxis for their guests. The hotel is still very clean and the rooms are quite large. Wi-Fi is free, unlimited, and does not require a passcode.

Another reviewer mentioned that Pathumwan House is difficult to find. I have found that most airport taxi drivers do not know the hotels on this street by name. You should tell your driver that the hotel is off of Rama 1 road on Soi Kasem San 1. Many drivers will know where you mean. The Soi only allows one way traffic. When you enter the Soi, go straight until you reach a T-intersection, then turn right. You should see a big sign for the hotel with an arrow indicating how to reach it.

I gave the hotel five stars on my last review because it was a very nice hotel and an incredible value for the money. I give it four stars this time. It is still a very nice hotel, but with the rising prices I would now call it just a good value.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gaelyn
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Just behind the busy main street is Pathumwan House. Located close to the BTS National Stadium train station, MBK and Siam Square. Stayed here for 4 nights on our trip to Bangkok and was very surprised at the great value for money, the room was big (38sq m) with a king size bed..Breakfast was okay with coffee/tea, sausages, fried rice/ noodles, cereal, fried egg (done in the microwave)..good enough..the staff were accommodating..definitely not to be compared to a 4 or 5 star..but cleanliness was good..security was there..an 8 storey hotel..Definitely worth the stay for those who want to go shopping..Platinum fashion Mall (about 20 mins walk)..walking distance to Siam Centre where Madam Tussaud is and next to it Siam Paragon where Siam Ocean World..then you can take the train to the weekend market (Moe Chit Station) as well..about 6 stops after you change at Siam Station..Very satisfied with our stay there

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ratcool69
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

This hotel is located at a central location which is very near to many malls including MBK and SIam Central. However the advantage ends here as the street where it is located, is difficult to unearth. My driver roamed in the vicinity of hotel for more than an hour just to find the exact location.
This was not my first visit to Bangkok and I had been to many tourist places. My experience foretells me to shun any unsolicited friend/ advisor on Bangkok streets if that one offers me an alternative tours to places like the Floating Market on the pretext of either other one being closed or as a cheaper deal as all such persons are part of a big scam racket over there.
Unfortunately, during my stay, the reception staff offered me a similar alternative. That was a shocking experience to me so I suggest to stay away from reception for any advice/ suggestion.
I have stayed in room no. 709 and once I was out. Another person staying in room no. 708 intruded in our room. We had to threw him out. Later we complained to the reception and wanted to report to the police. The reception staff told that they would speak to that person but they did not do anything.
So, we left the place next day morning. While deaprting the reception to send a bell-boy to pick up our luggage from the room but they informed that they do not have any then.
In all, this is completely avoidable because of it's reception and restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank njaina
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

Tucked away behind the bustling streets is Pathumwan House. Well located close to the train and Siam Square. Stayed here for 2 nights on our trip to Bangkok and was very surprised at the great value for money, the room was HUGE! with a small kitchenette included. Staff were warm and friendly and the hotel was very clean and well maintained. There are no safes in the room, but you can use the locker room in reception for any important items. Didnt make it to breakfast but the communal and restaurant areas looked very welcoming. All in all I was very impressed for the money we paid.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jay B
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

Patumwan House is situated minutes from all the shopping malls like MBK, Siam Discovery and Siam Square. It is close to both SkyTrains, but located at the end of a very quiet street.
The rooms are extremely big, clean and stylish decorated. We had room service every day, without asking for it and since we drank the two bottles of water they left us every day, they began to leave us four bottles which was great.
The breakfast is very basic with toast, boiled eggs, rice and fresh fruit, but it is nice to eat there every day instead of having to look for it.
The staff was very friendly, and able to help us get around the city.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple