“Very basic but great location”

YHA Bangkok Downtown
Ranked #359 of 1,241 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Very basic but great location”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Staff is very friendly. Place is acceptably clean. Very cramped, but good enough for that price and excellent location. The air con in our room was shared with the next room, it's hard to explain this.. but anyhow, so we didn't know how to adjust the temperature and it was rather warm but not unbearable. Recommended for those on a very tight budget -- save your money for the shopping!

Room Tip: The hostel has many levels but only stairs, so take note if you don't want to be climbing after...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My friend and I were stranded in Bangkok without a place to stay and didn't want to pay 1600 for a double room like all the other hostels were asking. This place we got a room for 690 or so and for downtown, central BKK, you can't complain. The room is incredibly basic though. Showers and bathrooms are shared - one on each floor. The room had no sheets - just a mattress cover - and I found a piece of hair on the bed. So it seems they don't always clean between visitors. The bed is also very, very hard. My friend had trouble sleeping and her back hurt the next day.

The bathrooms are very basic and small but clean. The shower is like a closet - there is no place to set your towel of clothes; you have to attempt to get everything on the tiny hanger.

The two people who run the place speak good English. They are friendly enough, but the women was really rude and yelled at my friend (who is black) and was smiley and kind to me (white). Just FYI.....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
England
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The hostel is a Thai style place, and it's a minutes walk from a night market, and the Patpong Area is about 5 mins away. Really great for shopping. Safe to walk around. Rooms are small, but clean. Shared bathrooms had warm water and sink. Would recommend. No common room area to meet people.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lottie007
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Very friendly staff, very helpful! the rooms are basic but was no problem as we were there to see Bangkok not sit in the room all day, very close to the BST, easy to get around. Aircon worked a litttle to well had to properly wrap up when asleep, didn't know how to turn AC off or up, shared bathrooms were ok, the shower was cold but not that much of a problem in Bangkok! overall was what we needed and had a good time :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beckii25
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

I thought yha were a chain and all the other hostels I've stayed at around the world were to a certain standard. This one is not the case. No towels provided unless you pay a fee, very uncomfortable / small beds. Really late check in at 2pm. The common room? More like a bus shelter.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Rietberg, Germany
Reviewed 3 October 2013

The Bangkok Downtown YHA is far too expensive and you dont get anything for the money. The rooms are cramped and dirty. The bathrooms are disgusting and the first two floors smell like someone peed in a corner.
The location is not really convenient, the service is okay, but there are far better places to stay.
Keep away from the YHA!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I was desperate and this horrible French guy who I met randomly told me to stay here because according to him, it was a "pretty good hostel." He was soooo wrong!!! I hate him for recommending me to this dump.

First off, I was moving hostel, because the great place I was staying (just 5 mins walk away from this gawd aweful hell hole) was full, so I booked this place online and walked over at around noon (when I checked out of my first hostel). Well apparently, they take a 3 hour lunches and just don't care if people need to check in. There's a sign that says the reception is closed between 11:30 to 15:30. That's a good lunch all right. So I had to walk my huge backpack back to the first hostel, and back here again later.

Here's the breakdown:

Pros:
* wifi that works in room from my bed, but slow and didn't work in the morning
* light at each bed, and power points at each bed
* hooks to hang my things at my bed
* hot showers

Cons:
* old rooms, and furnishing, seem like they never got to cleaning it since it opened.
* small beds, I mean -looks like prison beds from the 1940s which they stopped using because it was inhumane to put convicted felons on beds like these (narrow and old metal bed frames)
* the toilet room was so small, I felt my head and body touching the gross/dirty walls when door is close and I'm moving normally around and it was sooooo dirty with so many flies!!!
* flies all over toilet and toilet paper
* they ran out of toilet paper before morning!! Had to use my own tissue paper! (at this point, I as a girl, consider alternatives like peeing in a plastic bag or a bottle then dispose of it later, because that would be better than using this toilet room)
* shower room had like 100 flies just flying around living there. I felt like I was accidentally inhaling them as I showered, and they were landing on me the whole time I was in there (this is the 3rd floor bathrooms) Getting chills writing about it.
* low security, anyone can just walk in, where people left their luggage
* if you wanted to lock your luggage up for a few hours after you checked out, you had to PAY for a big locker! Absurd!
* no lockers in rooms, lockers on the first floor but so small, I couldn't put my daypack in there (which contained my laptop)
* ants around the bathroom and hallways

I've stayed in hostels all over south America and Southeast Asia, in poorer countries than Thailand, but this is the worst hostel I've ever stayed in every aspect. I don't wish this hostel on my enemy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo