“terrible!! let me out of here!”
Review of Tong Poon Hotel

Tong Poon Hotel
Tong Poon Hotel
Ranked #610 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
ewsko1
“terrible!! let me out of here!”
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I strongly do not recommend to anybody to enter this place... After weeks of travelling thru Thailand I was pretty happy that finally I will have a nice 3star room with fun, cosy bed, hot water and nice breakfast...oh well reality was far away from this...when I first entered the hotel I had that impression that it looks a bit different that on webpage .after I realised that rooms are in not the best condition , swim pool was old and dirty (I was told by staff not to swim because water wasn’t changed for a long time, ) restaurant was overprized and there was not a lot of choice for me as I am vegetarian...hotel seems like one of those place totally forgotten that needs to be refurnished asap!!!!,... Staff in the reception was not in the best mood when I first come, the women at the desk didn’t even say hello or even smile ...just asked about my passport and confirmation booking...I thing that was the most rude staff I’ve ever meet..And I travelled a bit so I was very surprised of that behaviour..Next day when asked about breakfast for vegetarians they told me that in the prise for room only American style breakfast is included and I can’t have nothing else... ok I thought >>so I’ve asked to give me just a toast& jam... my b/fast was: cold toast & bad quality jam & worst coffee ever.. When I tried to use and internet I was told to pay for an hour even I was using it for 15 min.. At the end I requested lady from reception to book me a taxi for an airport, again.... instead of regular price around 300bht I was told to pay 500bht...as she explained that I need to pay for highway,,,I left hotel immediately after that ,,, no one said thank you or goodbye, outside I‘ve took firs better taxi and driver charged me 310bht..Well I think that she just tried to earn some extra cash....

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank ewsko1

Families
Solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We booked this hotel at the last minute after being told by a policeman not to stay in our original hotel due to the dangerous location, we went to the T.A.T and this was the most reasonable place we found. When we got there the receptionists were all very rude and unhelpful and looked at us whenever we passed the desk like we weren't good enough to stay at the hotel. The deposit was more than the stay for the room we booked and the place was very gloomy all round.
It was close to the skytrain and a local mall, although the hotel is next to a tuk-tuk station, so we were harrassed by about 10 differant drivers everytime we approached or left the hotel refusing to take no for an answer!
Breakfast was okay, although there was no choice- just a british fry up with fruit on the side.
We went to see the pool and it was tiny with 3 patio chairs around it- you could only access it at certain times of day also.
They had computers with the internet but it was a mininum of 1hr for 100bt. I asked for 10minutes and she shouted 1 hr mininum at my face.
The room was clean and comfortable, alothough the bathroom seemed to be designed for little people though!
Definately wouldn't stay here again, Ive stayed in cheaper and much nicer places in bangkok before. never again at the tong poon hotel!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank charlotte411

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Da Nang, Vietnam
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I think this place might have been flash in the early 70's but nothing has been done to it since, even the staff look like they've been there that long. Could definately do with a make-over, even just new lamps would be a start. The brochure advertises cable TV, but evidently it's an old brochure so they said. Our bathroom light was held on to the wall by sticky tape and the mattress had collapsed on one side. Very ordinary place. Only plus was that it is close to MBK for shopping. Not happy with this one.

• Liked — Close to MBK shopping
  • Disliked — Everything, drab rooms, broken furniture, old carpet
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WantokQueensland
Raub
Reviewed 8 December 2008

Do not stay in this hotel
Rate: 1000Baht per day, not worth 200baht
Staff are unfriendly. Sour faces
Very calculative, charges 16Baht for drinking water in Mini Bar (Most hotels in Thailand provide 2 bottles free daily, never been charged before).
Charged 30Baht for an old drinking glass accidently broked by children in the room.
Insist on 60Baht (1 hr) CASH payment to use the internet, turned down request for 15 minutes usage (dont even considering that our group utilised 8 rooms for a total of 5 days)
Room not clean, Air Cond noisy, Dimm Lighting, Turned OFF all lights in front of guests even before dawn.
Breakfast are simple and lousy, same toast, sausages, tiny ham and 1 egg everyday
Don't feel consuming anymore on the 3rd day.

We found a better hotel 500 metres away -
The Bangkok City Suite, 1, Phetburi Road +[--] www.staybangkok.com.
Only 900Baht daily with Buffet Breakfast, plenty of choices and eat all you can. Free 24hr WIFI and 30 minutes internet daily

• Stayed November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank YCTan