“edgy modern boutique hotel”

VIE Hotel Bangkok, MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #29 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Spacious rooms, cool decor, great food, convenient location. The spa is a pricey and pretty ordinary.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
MeedeeVIE, Manager at VIE Hotel Bangkok, MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Well noted and thank you for your feedback. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in your next visit.

Reviewed 7 September 2011

We went for holiday with families and booked 2 rooms as there were 2 families with 2 kids each.

We asked for inter-connecting rooms when we booked the package with the agent locally and was utterly disappointed to find that they do not have any upon arrival at the hotel. The staff told us no connecting room, we thought they were taken up. Not only I know today that they do not have such in the hotel at all!! I see that many reviews here were given an upgrade. We didnt have and it was ok as we didnt expect it, We just didnt expect not to have connecting room as we never got rejected for most of the hotels we stayed before asia wide. It was totally inconvenient having to shuttle to and fro the room outside and inside every minute or so, banging the door open and shut. It was simply frustrating. People will big extended families will understand our plight.

We were quite surprised why a 5 star hotel does not have inter-connecting rooms for big families like us? We sent in our review after we left.

We are going again this Oct and i am quite reluctant to stay with VIE again because I just realise i will not get the inter-connecting rooms as they simply do not have. Even 3 star in BKK has.ad

The package seems reasonably priced and we are quite won over by the location than the inconvenience we experienced. Though we have booked again, we are still thinking if its still worth-while going through the inconvenience we had.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank kiki n
MeedeeVIE, Manager at VIE Hotel Bangkok, MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

Dear kiki,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we very much appreciated your concerns. We regret to hear that your previous visit failed to meet your expectation

Due to high occupancy and mis-communications with the agent, rooms were not available at the time of your previous booking, kindly accept our apologies. Please rest assured that the issue is being address and improvements are being made. Although we do not have connecting rooms, we have family cluster rooms that we will be more than happy to reserve such rooms for your next visit. We hope that we will be able to and trust that your next visit will be a better experience.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in October.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lye S
MeedeeVIE, Manager at VIE Hotel Bangkok, MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Breakfast is by far the specialty of this hotel, the quality of dinner needs to be improved if it is to maintain the extemely high standard set by the morning crew. Overall, our stay was excellent as the hotel is walking distance to MBK and Siam shopping centres and the hotel staff speak English well and were able to assist us in finding things to see and do around Bangkok.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Hi there,

Well received for your comments regarding the quality of the our dinner. The concerned department has been notified and improvements are being made.

Thank you for letting us know and for choosing us, we hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you once again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

As a frequent traveler I stay in Bangkok nearly every 6 weeks for 3 years now. I tried several quality hotels during my stays and got stuck with VIE Hotel, now for already nearly 2 years.

When I first booked VIE Hotel, I thought about the convenient location, 50 meter from the Ratchathewi BTS station, a 5 minutes walk from the MBK mall, and a 15 minutes walk from the main shopping centers like Siam Discovery, Center, Paragon and Central World. Taxis too get cheap as the hotel is centrally located. For me this is all important as it makes a minimal waste of time spent in traffic jams and keeps transportation budget low.

The Hotel:
Check-in is hassle-free and the staff are very helpful all the way to your room as you would too expect it from an official 5-Star hotel. Rooms are always in good condition. By the way for smokers there is a special 14th floor. I personnaly would recommend to everybody who is not on the tightest budget their suites. They are really big and have all anneneties you could immagine even if for me the biggest anemety is space! Deluxe rooms too are on the bigger side if you prefer these. Most important; you will not find another same standard hotel with this location at the same nearly bargain price!

The hotel has all standard facilities as fitness, spa, pool, bar (more on this later), cigar room, ...

Food:
There is one restaurant used for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
On breakfast there is really nothing missing. The buffet is simply huge and of excellent quality; not only for westerners, but for asians too, there is a varied big choice of food.
Sadly I have never tried their lunch, but I think it should be the same quality as for the rest.
Their buffet dinner has won several prices over the years (says every year), so you can immagine that I can say nothing bad about it. The buffet is huge and there is a big vareity of food, even prepared to order. The buffet comes with one glass of wine. The price is more than correct at a little less than 1000 Thb per person, knowing it is a hotel. By the way staff here is also very helpful an friendly.

New for the last 1-2 months is that they now have live jazz bands playing at the bar form 9:30-12:30. Some of the musicians are world class, namely Koh Mr. Saxman (last concert I paid 1500 Thb to see him). This is a sure bet for all jazz lovers to have one or several relaxing nights listening good tunes. By the way, as a red wine drinker I have to say open wines are at reasonable prices too.

Another new thing is the free hotel Tuk Tuk that can drive you to nearby places, only be aware that you have to find your way home yourself as there is no fixed schedule or pick-up.

Finally, depending on your arrival time at the airport you only need 30 minutes to the hotel (expressway included this makes roughly 400 Thb). I would not recommend the Airport link, even if a lot cheaper, as you have to change train once at Phaya Thai to arrive to the nearby Ratchathewi station.

As you can guess I am 100% happy with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
MeedeeVIE, Manager at VIE Hotel Bangkok, MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

WOW! I cannot express how much we appreciate your comments and your wonderful feedback. The room were filled with smiles and delight when I shared this comment to the team.

Thank you so much and we literally cannot wait for your next visit to our humble home.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

The hotel rooms and lobby were beautiful and very comfortable. Only major downside was that it was it was difficult to find and most taxi drivers had never heard of it. We found out towards the end of our stay they have preprinted cards in Thai with their location and directions - so that was helpful - just wish they had given it to us on check-in. We also had to reschedule part of our trip due to rain/flooding and the staff was very helpful in helping us make phone calls. Free wi-fi in hotel lobby only - not in the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Hello zizi1101,

Please rest assured that we've taken your comments on board and the front team are being brief about handing out those location cards at check-in or when appropriate. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to your next visits.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

I so wanted to like this hotel, and I truly did when I first arrived. We were upgraded to a Deluxe suite which was amazing. Especially the toilet was so sleek and beautiful. We also arrived at noon and were able to do an earlier check-in that usual, which was nice.

Let's start with the positive:

1. Great location (so close to the shops and literally 2 mins from the BTS station),
2.Nice spa (that had to be one ofthe best massages I ever got in my life!)
3. The room is beautiful, as well as the common areas of the hotel, which is very chich.
4.Security is great, as you have to use your room key in order to go to your specific floor.

However, there were a few bumps on the road and maybe I could have ignore one or two, but there were quite a few:

1. Although there is a tuk-tuk service free of charge that will take you to any of the shopping Malls (MBK, Paragon, Siam Discovery) when I asked someone in reception she said there was not such service. Luckily I insisted later and I was told by another member of staff, nevertheless I only managed to use it once, as there is only one tuk-tuk (and a small one, not even pone of the long ones) so I had to wait for 20 mins for it to be back, which is ridiculous since you can walk there in 10 mins. For a 5 star hotel it begs disbelief that there is only one, they should have more available for guests.

2. There is quite a long walk from the street to the main gate. I was once arriving in the pouring rain and no one came to help with an umbrella (even though both the security guard and the bellboys saw me). So quite disappointed at this.

3. We got a call from reception after midnigh that obviously startled us. Being half asleep, I didin't even understand what was it about. When I complained no one bothered to give me an explanation nor an apology.

4. Though the room is tastefully decorated, there were a few stains on the sofa and even a scratch on the bed's headboard. These are minor things, however, for being such a new hotel it's a shame that it's showing so much wear and tear so soon. It will be a pity if they don't maintantain it properly.

5. Inbelievable than on this day and age you don't get free wifi in rooms in a 5 star hotel. They should sort this out.

6. The pool is small but nice. However, the cafeteria doesn't open until 9 am, it would be nice to have breakfast there for instance.

7. The room wasn't made up until quite late, so rather annoyed that in spite of having been out most of the day we arrived to an unmade bed and then having to be there while they were doing it (we asked them to come back later as we were leaving again, but had we wanted to stay and relax this would have been annoying).

8. We found the breakfast price rather pricey, and they were going to charge the kids too (we have 2 young children of 5 and 7) so we gave it a miss.

In spite of all this, I still liked the hotel and I am happy of having stayed there: it was a gorgeous boutique hotel and great value for money. I appreciate that they are trying hard in certain aspects: the communication with the hotel via email was always very prompt and polite and only a few hours after I had left they already sent a survey in order to improve their service, which is a step into the right direction. Hopefully they will sort out all these minor issues as they have great potential to be a fabulous hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dear jujuhaha,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent stay at VIE Hotel Bangkok.

We are constantly looking at ways to enhance our facilities and improving guests’ experience. We do appreciate that you gave us a different perception and we are always happy and ready to look at ways where positive adjustments can be made for more satisfying services. Rest assured your feedback has been noted.

Your evaluation of our hospitality has been valuable to us. You helped us meet your expectations and we look forward to the opportunity to meet yours on a future stay.