“A Special Place”

Ranked #3 of 861 Hotels in Bangkok
vancouver, canada
“A Special Place”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Ariyasomvilla is a real gem in the heart of Bangkok, and I can't imagine a more delightful place to stay -- a unique hotel and very welcoming. I spent five days solo in Bangkok for minor medical treatments at Bumrungrad, and chose to stay at Ariyasomvilla on the strong recommendation of friends. I had a wonderful stay; after each day of appointments at the hospital (or shopping at the nearby malls!), I felt so lucky to be heading back to this hotel. It is a true sanctuary, where I felt myself relaxing the moment I passed through the gates and into the lovely garden setting. The staff were kind and polite, and David was a marvelous and gracious host; he is very visible (but completely unobtrusive) and makes a real effort to ensure his guests are comfortable and happy. If you have any concerns or questions, I am sure he would want to know and be happy to assist. I took my meals alone in the restaurant each evening, and the staff made me feel very welcome and relaxed -- I thoroughly enjoyed their menu recommendations. My room was beautiful and it was clear to me that a great deal of thought, care and pride has gone into the Thai decor. The pool is wonderful, very clean and a nice size for getting a bit of exercise doing laps, or just relaxing. My room (311) which was large and gorgeous backed onto the canal which can be noisy with the long boats passing by from early morning until evening, so if you are noise sensitive, you might wish to ask for a room away from the canal (I didn't mind it, once I realised what it was!). I am very glad I stayed here rather than at one of the international chains, as it felt like a much more genuine Thai experience. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to return to Ariyasomvilla in future!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed her with my partner August last year. They send a luxury car to pick you up from the airport (on time) and take you for a fun ride back to the hotel, felt maybe 30 minutes to an hour. When you get there you drive through a very greasy part of town and voila! Large gates, big trees, you drive in and it's like an oasis and then you immediately feel relaxed. You're greeted with a very tasty tea (yes you can drink it, it's safe).

Staff was GREAT! Owner David Li, was GREAT! Old man from England, he's awesome. He strolls around the hotel checking up on things AND he's a cook. Try his cake, yummy.

The room was cold, clean, quiet and amazing. Bed was HUGE and nice and hard but not too hard; just right. All the bathroom ingredients are natural/organic and feel great on your skin and hair. The cleaning crew are great, respect your things but still actually clean your room at the same time.

Make sure you get a back rub, those ladies are great and very sweet. Cheap too! If you have bad back problems make sure you tell them because they like to end their rubs with a back crack and an awkward stretch.

The pool is beautiful and romantic.

Being an Aussie, I know how bad Aussie tourists can get and you wont find them here luckily. So it's quiet, no drunkenness or Hangover 2 wannabes etc... It's very well worth the money and its conveniently located to lots of fun attractions.

Last but not least, the restaurant definitely had the BEST Thai food I have EVER had in my whole life. I still think about it, I actually still think about that hotel at least once a week and I plan on going back in a few months hopefully. August seems to be best time for us personally, less crowds, perfect weather and better prices. Anyway, get the Papaya Salad, the Pad Thai, a young coconut and basically everything else on that list!

You'll find a mix of families and probably mid + 20's couples. There weren't that m,any kids when we were there.

Note: make sure you bring a wad of cards with you with the hotel address. Lots of cab drivers haven't heard of the place and will just drop you off on a corner if they can't find it. Also, don't tell people other than your cab driver where you are staying, it is a small hotel and there are some creepers hanging around Bangkok and there aren't always staff at the front desk if you see where I'm going.

Best hotel I've ever stayed at and I hope you go there and have the same experience I did! Enjoy the fruit basket when you arrive, eat the little prickly things but just make sure you remove the prickles ;)
Cheers

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DustyLylac
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My wife and I decided to stay here for the last night of our 4 day holiday in Bangkok staying previously at Baiyoke sky hotel for her mega-shopping binges..the money we opened the door into our room(208)..we were in awe at how beautiful the room was.absolutely magnificent.it was the calm in the Bangkok chaos.We dined at grand Sheraton on the last night but looked forward to coming back to ariyasomvilla because of it's rich and beautiful character.the perfect romantic weekend getaway setting.

• Stayed June 2011
Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Owner David, his architect Wife and wonderful team give the guest here an experience far beyond the usual five star offerings. Our conference was at the Sofitel, but we decided on Ariyasom, and we were blessed with warm hospitality, care, thought and detail, surpassing our expectations. We have travelled extensively, and never have we enjoyed such genuine hospitality. small touches that make all the difference, eg. an exquisite supper provided for our late (post restaurant hours) arrival, negotiating a taxi in a gridlocked bangkok to ensure our connection was made, David's freshly baked gooseberry tart provided along with post dinner philosophy. The vegetarian-focussed menu is delicious -the breakfast is generous and excellent - let David & his staff guide you - the food is terrific.
Our elegant room (311) enjoyed the daily cacophany of bkk via the children singing in the neighbouring school, the bird noises, and the local longtails up and down the klong outside the window. it works its magic.
the pool and grounds, as mentioned by many previoously, are a thoughtfully designed oasis of calm, flowers and gardens.
There is a generosity of spirit here that is hard to find. we were delighted TA lead us here and will definitely return next time in BKK, and will recommend it to discerning friends..

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Overpriced. You can get a decent five star hotel and comfort at this price in Bangkok. Rooms are just average though the bathroom and toiletries provided are good. Just failed to understand why the bathroom doors and windows did not have any locks. It was really embarrassing for us as we were travelling with our children. The swimming pool is below average. The edges are sharp which is dangerous for the children. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone travelling with grown up kids.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank ParthasarathiD
panyasara, Owner at Ariyasomvilla, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your review. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us.It's a pity that you didn't appreciate our lovely rooms and furniture. All bathroom doors can be closed properly but as they are ensuite bathrooms they are not lockable - this is the first comment on this that we have had. The Pool is really special and in no way dangerous. Our pool is salt water and is set in beautiful tropical gardens. Again my apologies for your disappointment. With best regards - David Lees
middlewich
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I've been here the food and service is excellent.. The view of this hotel.. you can see the Chao Phra Ya river (the most importan river of Thailand) from any rooms plus there are Thai and International Restuarants that you can sit down and enjoy your time just right beside this river... from this hotel you can travel along the river to the Grand Palace which is the most attractive place to visit in Bangkok .. and also other places as well.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank mikomorz
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We had stayed in Bangkok in the Old City a week previous as part of our honeymoon and returned for one night before flying home.This last night was spent at Ariyasomvilla. I had formed a bad impression of Bangkok after the previous stay due to the difficult location of the previous hotel. Ariyasomvilla helped changed my perceptions and we ended our honeymoon reluctant to leave. It has been converted beautifully and is an amazing sanctuary in the heat of Bangkok. Having said that, its location is excellent, within just minutes walk from the excellent skytrain and is in a good part of town. I would recommend the Hansar spa and what I think is called Elefin coffee. The staff are excellent, allowing us to check in early, bringing guests glasses of iced water by the pool and generally being very friendly and attentive. Huge selection for breakfast and a gorgeous bedroom with massive ensuite. The owner is friendly and humourous and has done an excellent job of remaining sympathetic to the building while providing modern amenities sufficient to compete with the 5 stars down in Silom. I prefer this hotel because it is actually lovely to look at as well as being lovely to stay in. Finally, in my view this place is excellent value for money which is not to cheapen it but to stress that they are absolutely exceeding expectations. We would definitely return to Bangkok now and we would stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple