“Beautiful peaceful hotel, good restaurant, poor spa”
Review of Ariyasomvilla

Ariyasomvilla
Ranked #3 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 5 January 2013

The hotel environment - gardens, rooms, pool - all create a wonderfully peaceful environment despite being in Bangkok. The room was amazing; spacious with lovely wooden floor, dark wooden furniture, massive comfy bed, and a beautiful bathroom with a large walk-in shower and big bath.

The staff generally didn't have great English but were friendly and very polite. The restaurant manager was lovely and had great language skills, and the owner was often around offering advice on where to go, including recommending other restaurants in the area for a change!

The restaurant is called Na Aroon and is listed and reviewed separately on Trip Advisor. Basically, it's a 50% veggie menu with some gorgeous food. Could be more vegan-friendly. On the last day of our stay table decorations featuring live fish were put on the tables which were really unpleasant (lots of fish in a glass vase with a single flower, and some of them left in the sun so the water was warm).

They also have a building called the library which you can sit in and read, though we tried it one evening and there were too many mozzies for me! They have meetings there too - seemed to be about buddhism, but this wasn't over-promoted to guests.

The major downside for us during our stay was the spa. We'd booked 2 of their 3-day packages which include spa treatments. On the first occasion we had a steam before the massage. We thought this would be relaxing but the steam room changing area was not clean or very private. When I got in the shower there I found paint peeling from the ceiling, a small cloud of mozzies just waiting to bite and a (dead) big beetle or cockroach in the shower tray. As the shower ran the cockroach started to float towards me - not relaxing!

After the steam we had our massages. The masseurs chatted quite a lot to each other while working and there was no background music to distract from this, or other background sounds. I don't mind if people talk quietly but it's nice to have music to mask it. I had the head and shoulder thai massage which wasn't too painful at the time but I had pain in my shoulder for several days after - in fact I had only just recovered in time for the 2nd massage we had booked and I was very nervous about having the 2nd one in case the pain came back! I'll accept that some of the pain may have been due to tension in the muscles - but that was caused by their dirty shower area and lack of privacy for changing

The experience of the spa didn't match our experience of the hotel overall. It was like going to a different place altogether. The hotel itself was generally spotlessly clean and really well presented and I would recommend it if you are looking for some peace and comfort in busy Bangkok.

Room Tip: We had a nice ground floor room that opened onto the garden and had a little outside seating area fo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
davidlees, Manager at Ariyasomvilla, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

Dear miggi Brighton,

Thanks for your review. Glad to learn that you liked the hotel and the restaurant.

Actually, most of our Thai food can be eaten by vegans or we can make it for vegans if asked.

One point that I want to make was that at no time did we have live fish in the table vases. We did have orchids , sand and marbles with water in a tall vases but CERTAINLY no live fish.

Your points about the spa are well taken and we will immediately turn our attention to both the therapists and the spa facilities. My sincere apologies about this.

With best regards

David

Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

We loved our 3 nights here. Incredible room with traditional thai furniture and spacious layout - our honeymoon upgrade was so so appreciated. Food was great at breakfast and when we took dinner. Staff were genuinely and friendly and always willing to help. Massage was lovely and worth including in our package and we took it pretty much on arrival from London. Welcoming, diligent manager and somewhere we'd stay again should we return.

1  Thank Meerkat1402
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Spent 3 nights here a quiet luxurious hotel in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.It is 5 mintues from the Skytrain. The people were all very helpful and serviable. The rooms are large and comfortable clean.

Would come again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I've stayed at least 5 times at Ariysomvilla and have had a wonderful experience each time. In fact, this is the first hotel I stayed at in Thailand, and it spoiled me, so now each time I'm in Bangkok (I live in Cambodia) I try and book a room because I wouldn't dream of a different spot. The rooms are all unique, and the colonial villa has tastefully been restored, the staff are professional but warm, and I love how it borders the canal and has easy access to BTS line. Breakfast is always a great spread, and I love the Thai massages in the open air (at night I find them a great way to get sleepy!). My favorite boutique hotel in Southeast Asia.

2  Thank Katie H
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Rooms a good size - nice bathroom with separate shower. Bedroom has ceiling fan as well as aircon which is a nice alternative whilst sleeping.

The restaurant was fantastic - we ate here every night! No meat on the menu, but to be honest, didn't even notice. Great breakfast too.

Only thing to be aware of (and this isn't a criticism) is that the hotel is about 20-30 mins tuk tuk or taxi to the Koh San Road/Grand Palace area of town (a lot longer in rush hour!), so make sure you take this into account for planning your excursions. Costs between 100-200 bahts each way.

Room Tip: The hotel is next to a river which can be a bit noisy in the mornings - if you are a light sleeper a...
Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

This beautiful villa arouses all your senses the minute you walk in and are greeted by the gorgeous smiles of the staff.

The facilities are five star and the manager (David) is gorgeous and makes everyone feel like a guest in his home.

There is nothing I can fault.

It's very hard to leave!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Our stay felt like we visited a friends lovely home. The superb hospitality matched the splendid decor, and most importantly returning back after each days excursions was finding in a refuge from the insanity that's Bangkok. Exceptional included breakfast, both Asian and Western, and fine dining in the evening (killer cheesecake!).

Get a massage elsewhere however. The spa next door was disappointing. A poor treatment given in a noisy outdoor space. Not relaxing, but forgotten as soon as we returned to our delightful room.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael50
davidlees, Owner at Ariyasomvilla, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2012

Well I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and it was good to have you with us. Of course I’m sorry that the Thai massage didn’t go down so well.

I almost most always suggest guests to try a Thai massage rather than an oil. You can find a decent oil massage in many parts of the world but not so with a good Thai massage.

A Thai massage is not necessarily relaxing and comforting at the time. That’s not the purpose – it’s a true health massage and can be uncomfortable during the process. Oil is a much more relaxing option but doesn’t have the same health benefits.

Some customers find a Thai massage difficult and unpleasant – they are tense and their muscles hard. Consequently, they tense up and find the whole process unsatisfying.

Having spoken to my therapist (who’s been working with us for about 3 years) she felt that the client was rather fighting the whole experience. So upon consideration an oil massage in a private air controlled room would have been better.

Our spa is a covered area adjacent to the pool and depending on our neighbors, can be a little noisy ( it’s a rather exuberant time of the year). The origins of Thai massage would have been an open sided sala in a temple – it’s important to have the body warm when they work on you.

Anyway, it’s important for us to get this feedback for which we thank you and we will try harder and smarter in the future. Perhaps we need to guide our guests in their selection more intelligently.

With best regards