“Peaceful, great service, well-located: can't find a better place in BKK.”
Review of Ariyasomvilla

Ariyasomvilla
Ranked #3 of 896 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I visit annually from the US on business and generally stay at Plaza Athenee. I tried Ariyasomvilla this year and will always return. I love the city, but in crazy, trafficked, stressful, polluted, busy Bangkok, this is the perfect place to return to at the end of the day. Lovely design, gardens, pool: shockingly tranquil for the middle of the city. Exactly the place to collapse at the end of a long day. The staff is kind and the owner on-site and extremely helpful with wonderful tips for tourism sites and transport. Breakfast is wonderful with lots of generous options. Dinner is good but ideal for those who don't want to venture out and take advantage of the free room service. The hotel is at the end of the soi, but just 10 minutes' walk to the sky train or 5 minutes to the klong taxi. Really well located in terms of access to the rest of the city though seemingly no good restaurants nearby. Really wonderful and I hate to leave!

Room Tip: I had a room with a balcony overlooking the pool which was lovely for eating dinner served by room s...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Deena U
Write a ReviewReviews (1,584)

Reviewed 8 January 2013

As documented in many previous reviews this little hotel is a wonderful spot to reside in while visiting Bangkok. It is located at the end of a quiet street and boasts a humble exterior and entry. Once inside quiet and peacefulness overcomes the stress and noise of the city. Our room was huge (an unrequested upgrade), clean and had every convenience needed. The staff was very helpful, courteous and friendly. The private country-side tour that they arranged for us was great fun and at our desired pace. The food, served in the mostly vegetarian restaurant or in the garden, was freshly prepared, attractively presented and excellent in quality and taste. The pool invited swimmers for laps or a stretch and relax. A final day Thai massage in the spa was a memorable sendoff. The costs for all this, very reasonable. The only downside came from the early morning noise from motor boats speeding in the nearby waterway.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DougofCalgary
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I know other reviews say this is an oasis in Bangkok but there is just no other way to describe it. Driving to the end of a typical Bangkok street our taxi pulled into ariyasomvilla and I felt so relieved. It feels cooler here just due to the vegetation and the old solid buildings. The staff are so lovely and super helpful and were really responsive to any requests (more so than any hotel ive stayed in australia). The pool is my favourite pool anywhere - a great place to cool down after the humidity of Bangkok. The rooms are gorgeous - our executive deluxe room was really big and had a separate room with fold out lounge for my son. Our bed was an amazing four poster. They do the best mojoito I have ever had. My son loved the mango and banana smoothies. It might be more expensive than some hotels in bangkok but it compares favourably to other large standard 5 star hotels and has a much nicer feel - ariyasomvilla really made our stay in Bangkok.

Room Tip: I stayed in two different executive deluxe rooms and they were both equally amazing. (Note-They don...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Our travel advisor Karen from Kensington tours told us about this small hotel. Previously we had stayed in a large hotel. This was such a great change. Our villa was gorgeous, clean with top notch bathroom facilities. The personnel are so nice and friendly. I would recommend it heartily

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank streeterville
Reviewed 5 January 2013

The hotel environment - gardens, rooms, pool - all create a wonderfully peaceful environment despite being in Bangkok. The room was amazing; spacious with lovely wooden floor, dark wooden furniture, massive comfy bed, and a beautiful bathroom with a large walk-in shower and big bath.

The staff generally didn't have great English but were friendly and very polite. The restaurant manager was lovely and had great language skills, and the owner was often around offering advice on where to go, including recommending other restaurants in the area for a change!

The restaurant is called Na Aroon and is listed and reviewed separately on Trip Advisor. Basically, it's a 50% veggie menu with some gorgeous food. Could be more vegan-friendly. On the last day of our stay table decorations featuring live fish were put on the tables which were really unpleasant (lots of fish in a glass vase with a single flower, and some of them left in the sun so the water was warm).

They also have a building called the library which you can sit in and read, though we tried it one evening and there were too many mozzies for me! They have meetings there too - seemed to be about buddhism, but this wasn't over-promoted to guests.

The major downside for us during our stay was the spa. We'd booked 2 of their 3-day packages which include spa treatments. On the first occasion we had a steam before the massage. We thought this would be relaxing but the steam room changing area was not clean or very private. When I got in the shower there I found paint peeling from the ceiling, a small cloud of mozzies just waiting to bite and a (dead) big beetle or cockroach in the shower tray. As the shower ran the cockroach started to float towards me - not relaxing!

After the steam we had our massages. The masseurs chatted quite a lot to each other while working and there was no background music to distract from this, or other background sounds. I don't mind if people talk quietly but it's nice to have music to mask it. I had the head and shoulder thai massage which wasn't too painful at the time but I had pain in my shoulder for several days after - in fact I had only just recovered in time for the 2nd massage we had booked and I was very nervous about having the 2nd one in case the pain came back! I'll accept that some of the pain may have been due to tension in the muscles - but that was caused by their dirty shower area and lack of privacy for changing

The experience of the spa didn't match our experience of the hotel overall. It was like going to a different place altogether. The hotel itself was generally spotlessly clean and really well presented and I would recommend it if you are looking for some peace and comfort in busy Bangkok.

Room Tip: We had a nice ground floor room that opened onto the garden and had a little outside seating area fo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
davidlees, Manager at Ariyasomvilla, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2013

Dear miggi Brighton,

Thanks for your review. Glad to learn that you liked the hotel and the restaurant.

Actually, most of our Thai food can be eaten by vegans or we can make it for vegans if asked.

One point that I want to make was that at no time did we have live fish in the table vases. We did have orchids , sand and marbles with water in a tall vases but CERTAINLY no live fish.

Your points about the spa are well taken and we will immediately turn our attention to both the therapists and the spa facilities. My sincere apologies about this.

With best regards

David

Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

We loved our 3 nights here. Incredible room with traditional thai furniture and spacious layout - our honeymoon upgrade was so so appreciated. Food was great at breakfast and when we took dinner. Staff were genuinely and friendly and always willing to help. Massage was lovely and worth including in our package and we took it pretty much on arrival from London. Welcoming, diligent manager and somewhere we'd stay again should we return.

1  Thank Meerkat1402
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Spent 3 nights here a quiet luxurious hotel in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.It is 5 mintues from the Skytrain. The people were all very helpful and serviable. The rooms are large and comfortable clean.

Would come again.