“Feels like home. A very luxurious home.”
Review of Ariyasomvilla

Ariyasomvilla
Ranked #3 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 24 November 2010

This place is definitely a refreshing change from the big chain hotels, yet has all the comforts of a 5-star. Lovely room, friendly staff, good-sized pool, a restaurant with a very extensive menu. On the other hand it is tucked away at the bottom of a soi by the canal, surrounded in lush green vegetation, rooms with wooden floors, and home-baked cakes and tarts.

Perhaps the only concern was that if you're as tasty as me the mosquitoes might take a few stabs at you, literally.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 November 2010

Our stay here was the best experience we had in Thailand. I don't know where to start but the welcome was fantastic, a real oasis in the middle of the Bangkok away from a lot of noise but right by the skytrain so ideal for getting about. Nothing was too much trouble.
When our flight got rescheduled at the last moment, meaning we were leaving for the airport at 2am instead of 10pm, David very kindly provided us with a room so we could have a little sleep before we left. This was a real act of kindness and made this frustrating flight change much more tolerable. I couldn't thank them or rave about them enough.The location of the hotel is also excellent. It is about ten minutes walk to one of the BTS stations, and is right in the Sukhumvit area of town. It is less than five minutes from Bumrungrad hospital. Whatever others may say, we had a fantastic time here. All of my friends travel on average 150 days a year for work and leisure, staying in fancy places, and we couldn't have agreed more that Ariyasomvilla would become our hotel of choice in Bangkok David, thanks to you and your staff! I had a fantastic birthday weekend. We'll be back!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I stayed here last weekend with my mum at the end of our trip to Thailand.
This is an amazing hotel - the place is just beautiful ,the staff are very friendly, - you'd hardly know you were in the centre of busy Bangkok, the attention to detail in the rooms and the service is outstanding.
We loved staying here - and also enjoyed eating in the restaurant - so much so that we ate there again on our 2nd night! The thai food is delicious, but one of the best bits were the homemade desserts by the owner David - best apple crumble I've ever had!
All in all I would say that if you want a perfect calm and relaxing oasis in the middle of hectic bangkok this is the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Our stay here was the best experience we had in Thailand. I don't know where to start but the welcome was fantastic, a real oasis in the middle of the Bangkok away from a lot of noise but right by the skytrain so ideal for getting about. David and the team's service was over and above what you'd expect. Nothing was too much trouble.

It is also worth having dinner at the hotel one night as the food is incredible and the cakes homemade by David and absolutely delicious.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I stayed in Ariyasomvilla in October 2010. I was there with my partner and a group of friends to celebrate my birthday. Having lived in Bangkok for five years, and then having flewn through Bangkok on average 25 times a year for about 10 years, I've been around the place and seen many hotels in Bangkok. Don't look any further. The Ariyasomvilla is as good as it gets. The hotel used to be a private villa and David and his wife have done a fantastic job in turning it into a hotel without losing the original charm. The dining room still has the original huge windows, and the main villa has kept all of its charm. Two wings have been added with extra rooms. It's impressive. It is so different from most of the big hotels in Bangkok, that for that reason alone one should love the place. I have seen some comments on tripadvisor on the staff not being very helpful. This is a comment I could not disagree with more. All of the staff did their utmost best to help us in whichever way they could while we were there. Indeed, their English is not perfect, but it is more than sufficient to be able to serve clients in an excellent manner. We found both David and his staff to be very accommodating. We first got a room which was on the Klong side of the hotel. I am very noisesensitive, and we asked if we could get another room. That was no problem whatsoever, and we were given three options to chose from. The rooms itself are beautiful, stylish, and very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2010

My husband and I stayed here for three nights to wind down after a two month trip in Europe - and wish we could have stayed for longer. The hotel is a stand out from all the high rise generic four and five star offerings in Bangkok, built as it is around an original 1940's fine Bangkok home, which has been in the family for several generations. The gardens, furnishings and decor are totally inkeeping with that era, and are a credit to the taste and discernment of your English host, David, and his Thai family.
There are only 25 rooms which makes for an intimacy lacking in big impersonal hotels, and David is the perfect host, present and personable but never pushy! His knowledge of the area, and of fine Thai food is excellent, and on more than one occasion he helped us choose from the wonderful "aqua-tarian" offerings on the menu of the Na Aroon restaurant. Incidentally he loves to bake and we rounded off a couple of meals with typically English puddings (bread and butter, and steamed golden syrup pudding - delish!!).
The guest rooms are large, light and airy (and air-conditioned) with beautiful bathrooms. Sensitive touches, like fresh fruit and regularly replenished bottled water and fruit juices, add to the pleasure of staying here.
The Som Sen Spa (also on site) offers a range of wonderful relaxing massages and treatments. Lying on the open platform looking over the swimming pool with the breeze wafting the curtains whilst having a de-stressing massage is a lovely way to pass an hour!
In the midst of all this calm and luxury, there is free wi-fi internet if you really must keep in touch with what's happening in the outside world! Also the sky train is an easy stroll away, and taxis and tuk-tuks are in plentiful supply at any time.
The staff go above and beyond to help make your visit a real pleasure, and we found the level of English spoken to be excellent. If there is ever any slight misunderstanding David is there to clarify the situation in a flash (as I said - unobtrusively!)
We would stay in this hotel anytime we returned to Bangkok.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I stayed at Ariyasomvilla first time in January 2009. It was more or less a coincidence that I booked Ariyasomvilla for that Bangkok stay.
Since that first stay I guess i stayed close to 10 times there during 2009 and 2010, my family and friends have stayed there on my recommendation and they too keep returning.
When I stayed there first time, Ariyasomvilla was quite new opened and I thought about writing a review here on Tripadvisor but for a moment I got very egoistic :-)
I didnt want to share this gem of a place with anyone (sorry David :-).
Now 2 years later I have my own condo in Bangkok and unfortunately that means, no more stays at Ariyasomvilla.
Having stayed in 100 or more hotels worldwide and mostly 4 or 5 star, and travelled extensively with my job, there is always one place that will stand out for me and thats Ariyasomvilla.
To be totally straight, I have not yet meet a hotel where everything seems to come together as a perfect place as it does on Ariyasomvilla.
Yes they have nice rooms, nice garden, nice staff, an attentive owners and are situated in a calm oasis in the middle of the most bustling Bangkok area. Everything to make a perfect hotel - but what makes it outstanding is the atmosphere that is created by the pople themself.

I see a few reviews here that are not good and as always the main complaint is that english is poor from the staff. First of all I simply dont get that - based on Thai standard English spoken by the staff at Ariyasomvilla is OK.
Often when reading the reviews on Tripadvisor in general, seeing a bad review because of lacking english skills, I have to shake my head.
Some US speaking people expect everyone in the world to speak native English - I guess they should stay home in their corner of the world that they regard being the capital of the world.
Now more people speak Spanish and Chineese in the world than english, but I never see a chineese complain that US hotel staff speak bad Chineese.
Instead of complaing of lacking english skills you should be proud that people at least try to speak english - the best they can.

Anyway - Ariyasomvilla, you wont find a nicer hotel in Bangkok no matter the price, or for that sake any other place in Asia - if you ask me.
My family from Denmark just returned to Ariyasomvilla today for the 5 time in 2 years - and I guess they will as everyone else I know - keep comming to this small Bangkok Gem.

Klaus