“Non-touristy Bangkok!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #150 of 606 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Brisbane
“Non-touristy Bangkok!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

This place is VERY good. It IS away from the local tourist spots. Very safe area too.

Great for a repeat traveller looking for something a bit different - which I definitely was after my 5th time to Thailand. Not really the place for 1st time travellers to Bangkok IMO.

Clean rooms, great aircon, comfortable firm thai beds, possessions safe (although no safe in rooms) and the owner Charn who makes you feel at home (and answered any questions I had)

Yes make sure you take note of landmarks on your first night out and take a map - after a day I knew where I was going.

The area at first seems very quiet - but that is just your immediate cocooned street. Once you walk around the corner 1 min you are on the first main rd that leads to the bigger main rd to the train (15baht or something like that by mc taxi by the backstreets or just hail one of the many taxis). If you go the opposite direction at night you come to a massive area of street eats and if you walk on further huge LOCAL nightmarkets that are already rock bottom in prices - ie $7-15 AUD for shop after shop of amazing shoes. I also bought some very fancy evening shoes for $30 that I later saw at MBK for $90. Many items for sale without much hard bartering. You get the idea.

Not many English language menus at the lovely local eateries however some charades and picture menus did the trick! The restaurant staff were peering at me whilst I ate the ordered deep fried duck beak wondering if I'd be happy (however I've eaten this delight before during a tour with "Tong" so I knew I liked it. They were laughing and so relieved when I said "aroy maak maak" (very very delicious)!! Of course there were other standard items on the menu and all were great and locally priced.

I had my hair cut & chemically straightened (short hair) for $30 AUD - my friend has it back home for long hair and it costs $600 just for the chemical treatment. 2 months on my hair is still straight! Was very handy for a humid SE Asian holiday - not having to blow dry my hair! The hairdresser couldn't speak English however her nephew passing by could and he translated my request! The quality was equal to the $75AUD cuts I've had at home. The place is called "volume" and has a shih tzu and yorkie terrier inside 'guarding'! I do believe we got the information right - she is famous for cutting the kings hair as well!

These are just a few reasons why this area was special for me. The locals in the street all waved me goodbye like good friends after just 6 days. You won't see many tourists (although there are a couple of hotels near here) - its really more of a suburban area however with all the great things Thais love - a good massage place (near hairdresser), street food, robinsons shipping centre, restaurants, family run mini marts open till all hours without the hassle.

Btw. If you do walk back from the train (@20mins) you will pass MANY MANY street food stalls selling the most amazing street food takeaway. All for the locals. At local prices.

It takes a bit more effort to stay here as its not right on transport (reason for my 4 stars not 5) however you will be rewarded if you do.

Room Tip: Only 4 rooms here. No lifts. 2 on each floor. One on each floor has an ensuite however if you don...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank ruatraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I stayed at 'be my guest bed and breakfast' for a few nights in Bangkok in 2012. The guest house is very much as others have described, the facilities are great and the house spotlessly clean. However, what others haven't mentioned is that it is perhaps overly modern and lacking in charm and character with the rooms having more of a hotel feel than a family run guest house. It is easy to find and fairly near the metro but a bit out of the way if you want to easily sample a night out in Bangkok. There is so much amazing cheap food in thailand that it is a shame that the breakfast is so boring here - if you like your food I would stay somewhere else or eat breakfast out. There is absouletly nothing wrong with this place and I reccomend it as a great place for a quick stop, it is just that there are loads of places to stay in Bangkok, many with much more character for about half the cost. Also, if you are traveling solo and you want to meet other travelers then this is not a great place.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank trebor20
Stockport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We agree with all the positive comments about the standard of accommodation (it is immaculate) and the helpfulness of Charn, the live-in owner, who is full of local info and for which nothing is too much trouble. On the issue of distance from the city centre (not that Bangkok has one) it took us 10mins of brisk walking to get to the MRT and then less than 10 mins on the MRT to get to the Ashok station (which is the major interchange with the skytrain). We are second time visitors to Bangkok and loved being in a non tourist area which felt both safe and interesting – it was full of local activity with no hassle. A few tips:-
Don't accept the first price you are given at the airport taxi desk, we paid 450Bhat and should have haggled down to 250B – we can only blame this stupidity on the jet lag.
Do eat at Bongo Congo (1 min walk from BMG) Charn recommended it to us and he can direct you. Great food and friendly atmosphere.

We will definiately be staying with Be My Guest when we are (lucky enough) to be in Bangkok again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AmyonTourStockport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Charn was a brilliant host - welcoming us with a cold drink and showing us maps of the area and places of interest. The location is great, out of the main tourist areas so you see more of the 'real' Bangkok. A 10 minute walk to the metro gets you into the city centre easily. Breakfast has everything you could want and the whole place is spotlessly clean! An excellent hostel - highly recommend!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarahaitch
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed at this B&B for 2 nights and were very happy. We arrived in the night and Charn was waiting for us and giving us a warm welcome. The room itself was very nice and spacious with a very comfortable bed. In the bathroom there was even a small soap and shampoo as well as spare toothbrushes provided. Wireless internet access was free.
The breakfast in the morning was in a room downstairs that was beautifully decorated in blue and white with loads of details. There was coffee, tea, juice, toast, jam, cereals, fresh watermelon and a sweet Thai specialty for breakfast, we loved it and also the personal atmosphere. Charn was a very nice host.
Since the B&B is not in a touristic area, it is quite easy to get lost and it took us quite a while to find it when coming back the next evening. So be sure to remember your way !

3 Thank Terence_Hill
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

if you want a nice big clean quiet room with all the extras then you cannot go past this little guesthouse. charn is cool, and is always ready for a chat. granted that it is outside the major tourist traps, but its nothing a short walk to the train station wont fix. also, i would highly recommend heading to the clocktower around 5pm onwards and experience the local market.

2 Thank bebopcowboy
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

It is a bit off track, so you get to see the real Bangkok, if you go out. The rooms are very clean, bed good, breakfast in a nice greek style kitchen. The host Chern did seem to us allways a little bit stressed and isn't really talkative, but he actually helps you out whereever he can and runs his place really professional. We would most definatelly stay there again!

Only the fact that there was no real door in the bathroom seamed a little strange, but you get used to it.

2 Thank tosche7