Sathorn Vista, Bangkok - Marriott Executive Apartments
Shangri-La Hotel Bangkok(Bangkok)
US$373
US$294
Agoda.com
All reviewswasher and dryermomo restaurantbedroom apartmentfull kitchensala daenghome away from homebusiness districtroom serviceminute walkliving areaexcellent staystreet foodexcellent hotellumpini parkgreat poolthe banyan treebts station
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed in a 2 bed apt and it was spacious, clean very comfy. There's a washing machine and dryer which is handy for longer trips. The hotel itself has an awesome pool area too - the pool itself is massive!

The hotel is located away from the hustle bustle of the shopping and party district so be prepared to take a taxi or hire a private car, but other than that no complaints at all!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Lacey082
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed here for 8 nights in Feb 2012 for the first time. I have been visiting Thailand for a number of years and usually stay in a 5 star Hotel, but for this trip I fancied a change and opted for the Marriot Apartments in Sathorn Road.

It wasn't easy to find initially as the driver couldn't see any Soi 3 sign, but we did get there eventually. "
Check in was quick and pleasant with a cooling drink offered upon arrival. Once all was done I headed up to my room on 24th floor.
(One thing I must say is that their lifts are very slow in comparison to most Hotels, and needlessly hot, as there didn't appear to be any a/c in operation. A few guests also commented on this so maybe it's worth the management checking it out).

The room was a nice enough size, well designed, clean, comfortable, and I felt quite at home quite quickly. The bed....wow!....best bed yet. The pillows must have been made by Sleep Angels or something because I had such a great sleep each day, and as someone plagued by restless nights this was an absolute bonus.

Tv's in both rooms had good pictures, sound quality, and selection of channels. The bathroom was lovely as well. Big enough, bright and warm, and with a bath that my bigger than average frame slipped into with ease. And a smile.

You can use the room service which I felt was very reasonably priced, and prompt. The Momo cafe downstairs was superb. Good value, great staff, and great food. I spent every day in there at some point.I didn't take the breakfast option as I'm not an early riser on holidays, but from what I saw on offer ,when I did make the effort, was very nice. Lots of people all stuffing themselves: that's a thumbs up for sure.

The surrounding area is quite quiet and low key with very little in the way of a 'shopping experience', but that's why I chose it. You can go for a lovely walk around the area and chance upon some great little bits of Thailand hidden down some alley, especially the amazing sights of architectural masterpieces wedged between noodle shops, mechanics, or launderettes.
You can also head over 2 blocks and wind up in PatPong Night Market, which shelters numerous sellers of luxury watches, jewellery, designer jeans, bags, etc etc....they can be a bit pushy at times, but it is their livelihood remember.

Metro is a 10 min walk to the top of the road and services the majority of areas you'll be heading for. It's quick and clean, with air cooled carriages. Nice.

The staff are very helpful at all times, happy to help with directions or suggestions.
You have to pay for internet in your room, which I do think is a bit behind the times when a small cafe round the corner gives you wi-fi with your espresso, but you can access it in Momo's or at the pool area once you ask for a password. This is something that I don't expect to see as an additional cost these days in the higher end stays, so bear that in mind depending on your NEED for it 24/7.

It's not a place where you will be mingling with guests, or a place where you go to socialise in any sense of the word. It's your apartment. Your home from home. And on that level it does a very good job.

I will definitely be back there next year again.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views of course, and are also quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank eh32
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Well situated in the embassy district, service is prompt and efficient. Comfort is excellent, apartments are equipped with everything you may need including dishwasher, washing machine dryer etc. rooms are spacious. Momo restaurant next door serves decent food. Lumpini metro station is 500m away close to the lumpini park where you can have a walk in th morning. Value for money is good.

Room Tip: Insist on non smoking if you want one, even then it is not guaranteed, it seems the ventilation system brings in smoke smell from other rooms. This is the only weak point of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jack D
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The suite itself was absolutely lovely, Unfortunately I was ill while there, but can testify that the bed is great! You even have your own washer and dryer insuite.
There was a mix up with our pick up. I emailed that we were delayed but it did not get to the right people and they were going to charge us for the pick up but eventually it was worked out. There English could have been better. Also, breakfast included, was okay, not great. We didnt really get a good feel for the location. I think the it could be better, It is in the embassy area, and about 10 minutes from the SkyTrain, but not in a tourist area. Seems it is used a lot for people on business and would be fabulous for a long term stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joannetravel
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The apartments really are difficult to fault; they have everything. Indeed, I had the distinct impression that there are a high proportion of long-term residents. Service is always gracious and courteous, although at times a little confused. The pool area is excellent, although I can see very little justification for using green tiles for the pool. It makes the pool look a lot less appetising.

My only real concern is location for anyone who doesn't want to walk substantial distances to get anywhere. If you don't, then your options are limited, as the Skytrain and Metro are some distance away.

I can´t comment on breakfast since it closed at 10. I always headed to the Alliance francaise, about 5 mins walk away.

One last remark: there seems to be a very subdued atmosphere amongst the guests with virtually no casual conversations taking place between fellow guests. This isn´t necessarily a criticism, but personally I do prefer a more convivial atmosphere, which I certainly found in the second hotel I stayed at, the Park Plaza at Asoke.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo