“Disappointed”
Review of Vabua Asotel

Vabua Asotel
Ranked #466 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 1 December 2013

First impressions were not good. From the outset this hotel appeared to be a nice and inexpensive option. However they certainly make up for it with all the added extras that they charge you for. They asked me for a deposit of 300 baht when I checked in but never said what it was for. The few complimentary items that they provide are two small sachets of shampoo, a small bar of soap, and 2 bottles of water. The tea and coffee is not even free! In the room there is a price list for every single other item there - even pictures from the walls and the rubbish bin! Laundry facilities are dearer than I have seen in other places. Wifi is only free for one device and I only found out about it because I asked at reception - no one volunteered the information. Not ideal for two people with laptops and smart phones. Around the lobby and bar area are signs advertising free wifi in these shared zones but I was never able to connect to it. Also, the restaurant does not allow you to charge meals to your room, instead insisting that you pay with cash. They also tack a 10% service charge onto everything that you order (right down to two measly cappuccinos), which I did not find appropriate considering the service was not that good and the food certainly wasn't either. Tipping should not be compulsory; I have not encountered this anywhere else in Thailand. It put me off wanting to order from the bar. Instead, we bought food and drink at the nearby 7/11.

Hot water in the shower is variable and the pressure diminishes the hotter you turn it.

The staff do not speak good English. I had many questions about things, but no one could understand me so I gave up in the end.

Oh and don't get me started on the bar entertainment. Tip: bring earplugs and ask for a room as high as possible to drown out the screeching.

All in all, I found the hotel to be a bit tacky by being so eager to rip customers off.

Room Tip: Choose a high room away from the bar
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lilo3282

Reviewed 8 September 2013

The rooms here are clean and simple, with a/c, t.v, fridge and a small balcony. There are shops and cheap places to eat nearby, as well as bus services to central bangkok. This hotel is not near the centre or khao san rd, so be prepared to travel if you want to go to these places. The hotel is convenient for both airports (about 150-200 bht in a taxi) and also mo chit bus station. Use of internet and Wi-fi is charged extra. I have stayed here several times and would recommend it.

Room Tip: The restaurant here is very good but the local places nearby are a third of the price (40-60 bht per...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mattsicle
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I arrived in the middle of the night, had emailed them to let them know previously. Booked a room off their website 900baht for for deluxe room with included wifi I made a booking for 14 days. I got into my room realized wifi is not working went downstairs and spoke with the lady at the reception desk. She kept saying no wifi included, I have no confirmation email of booking and I have standard room for 630baht per night. She asked to see the confirmation email when I said I did have one. After logging into the computer at reception she was standing on the other side of the room and refused to even look it at. At this point I'm so tired the receptionist is so rude and can't even look at a computer screen so i stayed 1 night and checked out the next day. Paid 630baht in cash for the one night. 3 weeks late when I am back in my own country this lovely hotel decides to charge me 900baht for my 14 day stay which did not happen! Luckily my bank refunded me the money. So dodgy, service at night was appalling to say the least found a much nicer place walking distance from there and service was good.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank 1uv2trav31
Cls V, Guest Relations Manager at Vabua Asotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

We are so sorry for any inconvenience. As we checked in our record for the guest who check-in on April, we did not find we charge 900 THB for 14 nights stay. If you have any queries, please contact us directly at info@vaboirlodge.com. Thank you

Reviewed 18 May 2013

This is a hotel suffering from a severe case of schizophrenia. It used to be named the Vaboir Royal Lodge but for some reason decided to be re-branded the Vabua Asotel. Please forgive me for not knowing what an "Asotel" is but in this ignorance I am not alone, the hotel staff doesn´t know either....
So some signs around the hotel are in the name of "Vabua" and some in the name of "Vaboir", don´t get confused by it.
Now to the review itself; we stayed in the Executive Room, which actually consits of a livingroom and a separate bedroom. Very spacious and truly comfortable. It comes with 2 aircon units, 2 balconies, a hairdryer and 2 doors to the bathroom. You get 2 bottles of water free of charge and a toothbrush/toothpaste together with soap and shampoo. Everything else is to pay. No free coffee in the room and we could not even use the pay-coffee as there was not kettle for hot water. One advantage of the Executive room is, however, that they currently have a promotion that during your stay you get unlimited coffee in the lobby. Mind u, not the instant type of coffee but real coffee. The tasty breakfast in the morning was included in our room rate that I find very attractive for the quality offered.
The only thing that I did not like was that my room faced the huge parking area of the neighbor hotel and they had tour buses coming and going all night. So there was the beep-beep from reversing buses, the idling of the engines to keep the aircon running, the noise of people getting on and off as well as the idiot guard having a perverse joy in using his whistle as much as possible. In the morning I counted 7 buses idling at one time. This noise is not in the responsibility of the hotel, though, as it comes from the neighboring parking area. It is enhanced though by a balcony door that does not close tightly and bathroom windows that are constantly open by design. So I advise you to make sure your room does not face this parking area as it really keeps you from a good night´s sleep.
Would I stay there again? Yes.

Room Tip: make sure it faces away from the busy road of Ladphrao 130 and away from the parking area of the nei...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank allaretakenwhatthef
Reviewed 19 March 2013

it is quite good hotel, not much to say about it, it is budget friendly, nice helpful staff, clean simple rooms, the restaurant is very good, overall it is good quality for limited budget, good for couples or young travelers without kids.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 February 2013

This was our second stay at the Vaboir Lodge. We arrived late evening on the 26th December.
Check in was friendly and easy. We booked a suite again. Had a light snack in the bar area and a couple of well deserved singha's to unwind.
We were collected by Asia Evolution Tours 8am and driven to Baan Rim Nam at Klong Prao Beach Koh Chang. We will definately stay at the Vaboir lodge again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I had a stay at this hotel for 2 nights and they offered good service. Rooms are very neat and Staffs are very cooperative and very helpful. They had offered free shuttle service even I wanted to go near by Grocery shop ( 7 Elevan ) . I was very impressive with their service and I would recommend for all of clients

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip