“One receptionist let it down”

Great Residence Hotel
Ranked #667 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
London, United Kingdom
“One receptionist let it down”
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Plesant hotel. Good pick up from airport and drop off. Good restaurant and not too dear. Nearby taxi rank is expensive.. May be able to get a cab from the shops (which we did not visit). Clan and pleasant room but a few mossies. A long way into the centre so I'd only advise using it for a pre-flight stay. Most staff lovely but one told us we had booked for only one night when it clealry said 2 nights on our Agoda form. He was very unpleasant and did not apologise the next day when I asked another receptionist if the problem had been sorted - it had.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janetea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Thailand
Reviewed 4 February 2010

On January 12, 2010, at 9:05 a.m. I made an online hotel reservation with The Great Residence for 780 baht (approximately $24). I was given an order number and a reservation number after I provided my credit card details. However, when we arrived in Bangkok, the hotel said they had no record of my reservation. They asked me to print out a copy of the PDF file on my computer showing the reservation number so they could research it. The PDF clearly showed the total amount of 780.00 THB (Baht). The next morning the hotel clerk still didn’t know if our credit card had been billed, so we decided to have breakfast while we waited. We were informed that the rate at which we had booked the room didn’t include breakfast, so we paid 200 baht in cash for the only breakfast offered: coffee, a fried egg, a slice of lunchmeat, and toast and jam. We checked our e-mail, reorganized our luggage, and finally went down to the front desk to check with the clerk yet again. While we waited in the lobby, another couple was told that their rate didn’t include the shuttle to the airport, so they agreed to pay the hotel shuttle extra to take them to the airport. Finally one of the staff informed us that our credit card had not in fact been billed, and since we had checked our account online and seen no charge, we provided them with a card to charge us for the room. However, after signing the receipt, I realized that the amount on the receipt was for 1,236 baht (approximately $37). When I pointed this out to the staff, they told me that is the walk-in rate; the 780-baht rate is for reservations made in advance. I pointed out that I had provided my credit card information when I booked the reservation and received a reservation number, so if the booking system failed to bill my credit card, this shouldn’t be used against me. A phone call was placed, and I was handed the phone. The person on the other end of the phone sounded either British or Australian and identified himself as a partner in the business operations of The Great Residence. I explained the problem to him and he told me that since the booking system had not billed my credit card, I had been charged the walk-in rate. I pointed out that no one had informed us when we checked in that in the event that our card had not already been billed, the advertised rate of 780 baht would not apply. If we had been informed of this the night before, we would have had the option to risk paying a 58% higher rate or to find other accommodations. He said that isn’t the hotel’s policy. I then pointed out that as a business partner of the hotel, he certainly must have the authority to make a discretionary adjustment to our bill. He continued to refer to the hotel’s policies. I then asked for his name, and he said, “Matthew.” I asked for his last name, and after hesitating, he told me, “Deslandes.” I assured him that if these are his hotels’ policies, I would make sure that future guests would be fully informed of this before choosing to stay at any of his establishments. Apparently a single rip-off sale is worth more to him than good publicity and goodwill from satisfied customers. On the ride from the airport to the hotel, we asked which other hotels in the vicinity were affiliated The Great Residence, and the driver told us that Thong Ta, Queen's Garden, and others are all owned by the same people. So it’s probably safe to conclude that the policies are similar.
There’s really no way for us to know if our experience is a common one or not; how do we know that it isn’t common for online bookings with these hotels to mysteriously fail to go through so that the guests pay 58% more than the advertised rate, besides other add-ons like breakfast and the airport shuttle that appear to be included in the advertised price? My advice to any friends I have coming to Thailand will be, ‘Don’t get a hotel near the airport, because they appear to be operated by scam artists.’ I’ll help them locate one in the city wherever they want to spend some time, and they can just get a metered taxi into town, rather than risk having an experience like ours. Better yet, we’ll meet them ourselves to conduct them safely into the city.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank farangadvisor
Great_residence, Management at Great Residence Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2010
Dear Madam,

Thank you for the feedback and your comments.

Having read your review we would like to elaborate on a number of points you brought up. 1. The reservation you believed to have made was via a booking/travel agent, not direct with the hotel. As this booking/travel agent was not open when you arrived we were not able to verify the booking. Instead of not allowing you to check in until the booking was confirmed, we allowed you to check in. This was in accordance with our terms and conditions which are shown at the hotel.

Once we were informed that no booking has been successfully made via your travel/booking agent we informed you. As the guest had no paid reservation they were then liable for the walk in rate (which is a few hundred baht more); We operated within the framework of our procedures in a transparent manner – which we feel should not be labeled as a “rip off” sale. Just to correct your other comments - 2. The owners of Great Residence do NOT own other hotels; 3. Operations manager is Khun Matu and he is Thai/NZ. Yours sincerely The Management

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Lake Bluff, Illinois
Reviewed 16 January 2010

This was my 2nd stay, and I recommend it as an overnight on arrival or departure. The rooms are tastefully decorated. Each has a small refrigerator stocked with soda, beer and snacks as well as the free (COLD!) water. Bathrooms are basic, with no separate or partitioned shower . Therefore, water gets everywhere. Breakfast was adequate: fried egg, piece of ham, two slices of toast and coffee or tea (and may be included with your room). Transportation to and from the hotel is included, and the trip takes about 10 minutes. Hotel staff was quite helpful, whenever we had questions

We had a Thai massage at the hotel's in-house massage facility, and the woman was excellent. At $10/hour, what a great way to relieve the stress of travel!

There are a few roadside stands and ?restaurant? within walking distance, but nothing else in the area. Therefore I would recommend the hotel for late night arrivals and early morning departures, only.

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank on_the_move-8
sydney
Reviewed 13 January 2010

No problems here. Easy meet by driver at airport and only a few minutes drive. Room has balcony and restaurant was really good. The hotel driver drove me to a 7 Eleven to buy a bottle of australian wine $26. Highly recommended for a very low price. Peter from OZ

Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank sydchiang
Singapore
Reviewed 7 January 2010

We missed our flight on 6 Jan and had to stay at a hotel for one night hence checked in at Great Residence Hotel at the airport. On the next day we checked out at 6am and departed for the airport. At about 7.15am I suddenly realised I left my Nokia handphone at the hotel room!!! Panic, I called my handphone immediately hopefully the hotel staff whom picked up my phone would answer. To my dismay, my handphone was switched off and I never get to hear from the hotel anymore!

This was such a lousy experience as before we checked out, there was a hotel staff who surveyed the room and I am very sure he would have seen my Nokia lying on the bed!!! Dishonesty sucks!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank TiramisuSG
Singapore
Reviewed 16 December 2009

Stayed for a night between a 10pm arrival and an 8am departure. The stay actually didn't get off to a good start as the guy in charge of airport pickups wasn't carrying a sign and it was only when I went up to the airport information counter that I was pointed to him. Waited about 5 to 10 mins after that for the hotel car to appear, travel time was another 5 to 10 mins.

Check in was quick and a bellboy carried my bag all the way up to my 4th floor room (there are no stairs). Tv had no channels tuned and bathroom was v basic but no big deal since I just needed the bed!

Room also included 2 bottles of water which was a nice touch for those who weren't up for a walk to the stretch of street eateries and convenience shops a few hundred metres up the road.

Overall a decent basic place to crash for the night given what I paid, which was substantially less than the 2000b that others have mentioned.

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank inkoherent
Leinster
Reviewed 16 November 2009

We arrived at Bangkok airport with intentions of staying in Novotel which we'd previously stayed in and really liked. We were convinced that Novotel was too expensive and that The Great Residence was to the same standard but cheaper.
We waited for the shuttle meanwhile we were offered free breakfast and a discount for our two night stay, we were slightly confused as to of why but thanked the hotels representitive at the airport.
We arrived at the hotel and two members of staff carried our bags in for us, they were very sleezy and made us feel very uncomfortable. The receptionist had very good english and before i signed and paid for the room I asked to see it. We were shown the room which was very basic and nowhere near as nice as Novotel as we'd been told it was. The shower had no cubicle around it and the room had no safe and when we realised the young boys working there had access to all the rooms we felt slightly nervous as it stated that the hotel held no responsability for any personal bolongings going missing. We decided that we'd go with it anyway as it was cheap and we were towards the end of our holiday so money was low.
I wasnt given the sheet to sign again when we went back to pay for the room. We paid for 2 nights bed and 'free' breakfast. We got into the room started to unpack.
I went to lie on the bed and noticed something on the sheets, i picked it up in a tissue and realised it was fresh mouse poo, we freaked out and went to reception with it, they insisted they couldnt give us a refund but would be happy to show us another room so we agreed to see another room. A member of staff brought us up to the next floor, I looked at the beds straight away, spotted something again the staff member also saw it and quickly brushed it off the pillow I snapped got a tissue picked it up and returned to the reception furious. We were told to take a seat while the manager was called to see if there was anyway we could get some of our money back. As we sat there we spotted 2 flying cockroaches and 4 or 5 baby cockroaches around the reception.
The receptionist hung up from her manager and told us there was no way we could get a refund that they could up grade us get the room cleaned the following morning and offer us a free dinners. We laughed at the thought of eating in such a dirty horrible place.
Meanwhile the male members of staff were promising that we would be well looked after which just creeped us out even more. I stated that I hadnt even signed for the room and that it was unhealthy to stay somewhere so unhygenic. after many tears of frustration and arguements the receptionist apologised ordered us a taxi and we left 5000baht poorer.
I wouldnt let my dog stay there.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends